stroked motor advice

svtjlp

Established Member
im trying to take as much input as i can get before i build my motor. i saw some numbers on a 351ci l motor "stroked" i was wondering what are the advantages and dis, about a stroked motor the more info the better:read:

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
This is a whole can of worms. The L's 5.4 is already a "stroked" 4.6 to start with so stroking a 5.4 is not a simple thoughtless build. I would call some of the builders that do stroked builds and inquire about what might be done in order to mitigate problems

F8L SN8K

Established Member
DON'T

Hows that for advice. The 5.4 already has the longest stroke of ANY production motor. Including the old big blocks. In fact a lot of poeple in mustangs destroke them for racing applications. The motors already have tremedous side loading on the bore wall and piston speed is already high on these motors. Just use H-beams in the standard length a good set of pistons and the stock block and crank and invest the money in the heads amd bigger blower.

FordFanStan

Established Member
The stroker engines put out more power, period. There are many different stroke and bore options available, so before those decisions can be made you need to think about exactly what your goals and plans are for your truck so your final decision will be the best decision. Also between the different stroke and bore options there is a very wide range in pricing, so you must consider your budget as well. It never hurts to ask questions, so I'd ask as many questions as you can and learn as much as you can to as many people as you can, (preferably engine builders themselves), before you make your decision. Hope that helps a little.

DON'T

Hows that for advice. The 5.4 already has the longest stroke of ANY production motor. Including the old big blocks. In fact a lot of poeple in mustangs destroke them for racing applications. The motors already have tremedous side loading on the bore wall and piston speed is already high on these motors. Just use H-beams in the standard length a good set of pistons and the stock block and crank and invest the money in the heads amd bigger blower.

Yes the 5.4 has a long stroke to begin with. The rod to stroke ratio isn't the best. But in defense, we have built many strokers and none of them have any increased wear v. the stock stroke. Not only this, but recently we have been building a stroker or two that use a stock or better rod to stroke ratio, so in theory they should not be any worse than stock, but like I said earlier, we have actually built many strokers and inspected them, with no increased wear. Those are facts.

Parts are available, look into some custom pistons with offset pins to deal with the increased side load of a longer stroke. ;-)

One of the main reasons the offset pistons are designed is to decrease piston noise under load, (commonly referred to as piston slap). Many builders use these for that specific reason, but IMHO it leaves extra room for error. There are lots of new pistons and new designs out in the last year or so, and there are pros and cons to every attribute. My recommendation would be to diagnose each and every part of the piston and speak to many different people, not just sales guys. I guess you could say the offset pin is a preference, but if the engine is built right there is no need for the offset pin. FFS

busakiller

Established Member
arguably, there is a replacement for displacement.

BOOST.

im gonna get so many people that think they know what theyre talking about arguing with me, but whatever.

FordFanStan

Established Member
No need as far as HP or no need as far as start up noise?

There is no need for an offset pin at all IMO, one point of view is it is just a cushion for a builder so he/she doesn't have to be a precise.

arguably, there is a replacement for displacement.

BOOST.

Agree to disagree, haha just messin with you Busa :poke: Boost can double (or more even) the power output of an engine in some cases, thats not the easiest thing to do with displacement alone, but when you combine the two there are some great outcomes :D

I asked about a stroker build about 2 weeks ago...

I replied to your PM on Nloc so I didn't on here? Sorry for the confusion Nate. I have also been having some PM issues on here lately, don't know how come but The Swede and I have been having some issues getting PMs back and forth, it seems we get like every other PM to each other? FFS

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
I replied to your PM on Nloc so I didn't on here? Sorry for the confusion Nate. I have also been having some PM issues on here lately, don't know how come but The Swede and I have been having some issues getting PMs back and forth, it seems we get like every other PM to each other? FFS

I didn't receive your pm on Nloc, if you replied my apologies. I guess the pm's are on vacation.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Read my latest PM to you, it may not have gone through, my whole outbox is empty, is says not one sent message on Nloc? What the heck lol? I PMed you my contact info so if you didn't get it we can talk brother. In fact just send me your email addy if you want and I'll resend all the info for you via email :beer:. FFS

FordFanStan

Established Member
I was waiting on you, you said you were going to send over some info you had first lol. I can send you over some numbers tomorrow or later tonight possibly if you want. Headin out to dinner in a couple minutes now. FFS

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
Read my latest PM to you, it may not have gone through, my whole outbox is empty, is says not one sent message on Nloc? What the heck lol? I PMed you my contact info so if you didn't get it we can talk brother. In fact just send me your email addy if you want and I'll resend all the info for you via email :beer:. FFS

[email protected]

I don't think pm is working :)

Users who are viewing this thread