straight axle swap?

BAD03SVT

Established Member
dont think so, and neither does strictly performance. make sure you take a trailor. how do you know it wont keep the stock bilsteins whats different

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Originally posted by snakeluvr
dont think so, and neither does strictly performance. make sure you take a trailor. how do you know it wont keep the stock bilsteins whats different

I think the strictly performance car makes a little more power and is pushed a lot harder than most of our cars:rollseyes There is a guy at my local track making well over 600hp to the wheels and still has the factory 8.8. Like I previously said I wouldn't consider it a long term upgrade but it would be better than the irs until you could piece together all the good stuff! As far as the shocks every single person I have talked to had to do shocks when they did the swap. They must be a different size or something for the irs and wont work with the gt set up.

Rwick7

Established Member
The Strictly Pro car has a solid axle (PERIOD)

I have a Ford 31 Spline Trak Lok and Superior 31 Spline Axles. The trak lok is just like the one in our IRS but it has extra clutches to hold up better.

I would say a GT rear would hold up just fine on a Drag Radial, 10-20 pass a year, 450 rwhp car. Many, Many, Many Supercharged GT's run a stock rearend. In all my times at the track I've never seen a SC GT break a rear end...but I've seen 3 or 4 half shafts go. :)

I never had any problems with my IRS, mostly I just did the swap for piece of mind and simplicity. There is no doubt the IRS rides smoother but all the hassle just wasn't worth it to me. I drag my snake quite a bit though.

If I only went 4 or 5 times a year I would have probably kept the IRS and dealt with it.

This is what I have for the suspension

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=357240
along with a Bassani GT catback

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
is the bassani GT-catback one of the best suited catbacks for a cobra with the live axle???(i know any GT CB will fit..)just wondering how well yours is performing.

how does it sound???

Rwick7

Established Member
Sounds outstanding and runs 11.90's on a slow track with a 2.93 pulley and a 1.75 60'

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I built mine to be bulletproof, or as much as you can to an 8.8.
Eaton Posi, 31 spline Strange axles (already bent one), 3.73 gears. The housing was new from Ford. I installed aluminum bushing adjustable upper & lower control arms and anti-roll bar. Strange adjustable shocks.
The ride is a little on the noisey side, but it launches hard and straight on 10.50 ET Streets.
I only intend to do this once.

BTW, Strange said those axles are only good for 500 HP. No warranty.

Dana

BAD03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Mustang Mike
I think the strictly performance car makes a little more power and is pushed a lot harder than most of our cars:rollseyes There is a guy at my local track making well over 600hp to the wheels and still has the factory 8.8. Like I previously said I wouldn't consider it a long term upgrade but it would be better than the irs until you could piece together all the good stuff! As far as the shocks every single person I have talked to had to do shocks when they did the swap. They must be a different size or something for the irs and wont work with the gt set up.

well if you are not going to launch it hard why do the swap :rollseyes if you are going easy on it then you should still be able to stay with IRS :bored: i built mine for my type of driving. we are talking 5k+ launches because that will be where the better times come from.

Rwick7

Established Member
Use the same DS but take the pinion flange off the IRS and put it on the Live Axle...it bolts right up :)

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
anything else important.....doing this soon

yes it's back from the dead.....it's the missing thread

B

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The only thing that hasn't been mentioned here is:
Use Locktite on everything!!!
I mentioned this to the guys that PM'd me about the swap, but I think it should be mentioned again.
Getting all the correct mounting bolts was a problem for me, but mine wasn't a swap either. So for most it should be ok.
You will also want to reposition the e-brake and ABS sensor lines/wires. They are a little too close to the tires. A simple solution is to reposition the front e-brake cable mount, where it emerges from the body. Move it toward the center of the car, and redrill the bracket mounting holes. The 2 inches seems to be enough.
You will need the GT muffler hangers (2) and they mount to existing holes just behind the new mufflers. The Cobra cat-back system can't be modified to fit. You need the GT version.
You will probably need two people to wrestle the housing into position, but after that, it's a one man job.
Any questions, I'll try to answer, if I can.
Dana

Users who are viewing this thread