straight axle swap?

lachj1

Established Member
What's involved with changing to a live axle? Are there mounts on the cobra that will accept it or do you have to weld some on?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Before going to a live axle, there is a thread at modularfords.com about a manufacturer who may be willing to beef up the whole rear end for our IRS It would be nice to be able to keep the IRS and not worry about it breaking.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
No welding required.
Earlier Mustang solid rears bolt right up.

You might want to weld up the torque boxes as a precaution though.

Dana

ObieFox

Established Member
stick with a '99 and up straight axle. They are slightly wider than the earlier fox 8.8's. As Dana said, all you need to do is drop the complete IRS carrier and the solid axle bolts straight up. Your best bet is to find someone who wants to swap with you and then do the job side by side. Lots of Mach, GT and Bullit guys, who spend time on the road courses, are looking for our IRS.

Kevin

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Before going to a live axle, there is a thread at modularfords.com about a manufacturer who may be willing to beef up the whole rear end for our IRS It would be nice to be able to keep the IRS and not worry about it breaking.
I think I remember that thread, but can't seem to find it now.
The problem is that the entire IRS setup in the Cobra's is weak, relatively speaking, from the axle flanges to the differential.
The half shafts are breaking everywhere. Replacing them with heavier, stronger ones is not the answer. Neither is putting bigger stubs on the ends of the half shaft because they are still using the the aluminum carrier. The side gears and housing would have to be changed to allow bigger stubs in the differential. And you still have the cast aluminum housings and covers which are also breaking under the current level of stress.
The only way that this would ever work is to design an entirely new IRS setup. One that would fit into the Mustang, but still be strong enough to handle 800 HP or so.
I would love to see it happen, but I don't think it would be economically feasible for anyone but the manufacturer to do it.

Dana

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
strong IRS, the one thing im envious of in a Z06.........(and the 800lb diet)

isnt theirs welded in, and has much stronger parts?

Mustang Mike

Established Member
I love these threads as Im preparing for the swap my self. I totally agree with DANA, too much torque being channeled through too many weak components, all part of a poorly engineered system. Unless your one of those guys that has to have the irs cause thats one of the things that makes the car special, all the after market components aren't worth it. They can cost as much as an axle and haven't proven to be very effective. Do your research, Im finding new stuff out every day.

Good Luck

noslo50

Established Member
Just a question for anyone in the know, is the old t-bird turbo coupe 8.8 rear the same as it had rear disk brakes and is about 1 3/4 wider than a mustang pre 99? Other than the obvious that it wouldn't have certain sensors. Jerry

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
I'm very happy with my live axle swap :)

Stl,

I am seriously considering the live axle route. Can you (or anyone else) tell me what it feels like? How badly is the transient handling affected? Does it scare you going around curves at all (like freeway onramps). Have you had to drive it significantly differently? Thanks in advance.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
hey guru, its gonna feel like your drivin a GT, thats all, it'll still handle farely well, and bumps will be more noticeable......

i once heard, its not that the live axle cant handle well around turns, its just that the IRS handles road imperfections so much better.....

remember all those camaro's and T/A's all have live axles, and they can still hold their own on raod courses.....so its not like your car will only go in a straight line......

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC
hey guru, its gonna feel like your drivin a GT, thats all, it'll still handle farely well, and bumps will be more noticeable......

i once heard, its not that the live axle cant handle well around turns, its just that the IRS handles road imperfections so much better.....

remember all those camaro's and T/A's all have live axles, and they can still hold their own on raod courses.....so its not like your car will only go in a straight line......

Well put, if handeling is your thing I think you can make a live axle handle better alnyways.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC

Yea, I know, I think I said as much in the FAQ. However, having owned a 95 Z28, I know that it scared the sh!t out of me on curves. A slight blip of the throttle caused the whole car to go sideways with zero warning. My brother's GT isn't that bad, and if that's how it handles, I'll be OK. But if it handles like my old Z, I'm really going to be unhappy. Honestly though, I don't really think I have a choice. The IRS BS is never going to be worked out, and my outboard hubs are already pretty screwed up. Sigh.

jonas

Established Member
dude you can seriously make a live axle run corners around mustang irs cars

our rear irs is heavy and a "bolton afterthought"

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
How much power could a stock 01' GT live axle take. Could it handle my 2.76 pullied vert without snapping or hopping? I should be in the 450RWHP/470RWTQ area. Will it hold, don't plan on more than a dozen 1/4 runs a year at SVTOA drag days.

Besides changing out the gear ratio to either 3.55 or 3.73 what would I need to replace to make it plug-and-play.

Have seen other swappers go with Moser or Strange axle packages. Is that necessary or just bulletproofing?

Mustang Mike

Established Member
Originally posted by postban
How much power could a stock 01' GT live axle take. Could it handle my 2.76 pullied vert without snapping or hopping? I should be in the 450RWHP/470RWTQ area. Will it hold, don't plan on more than a dozen 1/4 runs a year at SVTOA drag days.

Besides changing out the gear ratio to either 3.55 or 3.73 what would I need to replace to make it plug-and-play.

Have seen other swappers go with Moser or Strange axle packages. Is that necessary or just bulletproofing?

Funny you asked that because I have been looking into the same thing. If your not running all out slicks I bet you would get a good bit of use out of a factory 8.8. Eventually Im thinking you will burn up the posi or maybe snap an axle if your getting major good traction and 60ft times. I also feel that a factory 8.8 would be a lot more durable on our modded cobras than the irs. You can get a brand new FRPP 8.8 with 3.27's for $750 and x2c sells them for $800 with 3.73's or 3.55's. As far as what else, you will basically need a complete gt rear end set up. Control arms, shocks, springs etc with some other minor parts and details. From my research it seems like a pretty straight forward swap. I will be doing it shortly so I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread