Stock fuel system handle E85?

monsterpost

Established Member
As the title says, can the stock fuel system handle E85 and the car tuned for it? Any tuners out there tried this yet?

mtrsprt

Established Member
Yes. It depends on how far you want to go. Some are getting upwards of 680-700rwhp on E85, with just an injector swap, and BAP.....

monsterpost

Established Member
For now all I want to do is while the car is under warranty is just tune it for E85. Only mods, if you want to call them mods would be a CAI and maybe GT500 axle backs for better sound and open up the side exhaust.

Later down the road I see boost in the future:rolling:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Yep, don't tune if you want the warranty. My only plans are headers right now since they seem to make decent gains without a tune. After my powertrain warranty is up it will be time for CAI, rest of the exhaust and an e85 tune.

If something breaks you can argue that the exhaust didn't cause it but with a tune you're SOL.

65sohc

Established Member
I think his question is is it possible to tune the engine to run on e85 with the stock injectors.

darreng505

Established Member
I think his question is is it possible to tune the engine to run on e85 with the stock injectors.

The injectors should be upgraded for two reasons. 1) To support the higher flow of E85 and 2) With injectors that can handle the corrosive effects of E85. The stock injectors are really not suitable for this and the platform is not flex/fuel for this reason (and others).

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
they won't flow enough though, that's why you need larger injectors, to be safe anyway

as far as tuning, we can set you up with an e85 tune for the boss

Nocturnal5.0

Captain Go-Fast
Established Member
Sorry to resurrect an almost twenty day old thread, but I've been curious as to one part of the E85 conversion: how long will the fuel pump last on this? So far, only one of the people I know running boost on E85 has burned up a pump, but we're wondering if that wasn't a defect in the pump versus the E85 actually damaging it. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

twistedneck

Established Member
E85 w 47lb injectors running great. the tune gets cranked up a little bit, car runs cooler, and it smells a lot better at stop lights if you have an off road x pipe. I think it was wbt who had the boss power stang running 180mph in the texas mile w stock pump, 47lb injectors, e85, and a cj intake.

darreng505

Established Member
E85 w 47lb injectors running great. the tune gets cranked up a little bit, car runs cooler, and it smells a lot better at stop lights if you have an off road x pipe. I think it was wbt who had the boss power stang running 180mph in the texas mile w stock pump, 47lb injectors, e85, and a cj intake.

Do your injectors have stainless internals?

If not they will rust and fail over time because of the E85 properties....

twistedneck

Established Member
I just read in another thread that the fuel filter will degrade over time with E85 and about 6 months in there will be some issues w/ a failed pump. I dont know if this is internet legend or true.

Has anyone been running E85 more than 6 months on a stock coyote or boss?

darreng505

Established Member
Im not sure, its what most guys upgrade to for E85 on the coyote. I hope they do!

FORD RACING 47 LB/HR FUEL INJECTOR SET | Part Details for M-9593-LU47* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I don't think they do. Most people only think throughput when modding for E85, but it requires anti-corrosive internals on many parts for it to last.

Just think, when you leave your car undriven outside for a few days, the rotors get rust on them. That's what happens inside your fuel system with E85. Just a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread