Stock engine HP limit?

ThomasL

Established Member
Local guy here in Tampa was at 900+ whp on stock motor for awhile (not sure of exact mileage) before the oil pump shit the bed. Now it's being built.

99SSls1

Established Member
It's not getting 20k out of a stock motor, I'm saying IF you choose to modify up to 800rwhp, why would you be upset if there is a failure?
I'll be pushing the stock motor as long as it lasts, it'll see 800rwhp and regular highway pulls up to 6500rpm and 3-4 strip trips with 6700rpm shifts.
I hope it lasts a long time, but I would never be upset if I had to upgrade the bottom end at 800rwhp.
-J
I get upset when i blow my shit up, but thats just me.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I get upset when i blow my shit up, but thats just me.

Well, obviously, but its always a risk when you mod to the extreme. 800rwhp is easy but also way past the engineering design. It will probably last for a long while with a good tune and conservative RPM, but there's no guarantee.
-J

Ky GT500

Established Member
I'm at 725whp,,, been that way a year or so,,, so far so good. Frequent oil changes and limited 62-6500 pulls for the most part. That being said, my '11 F350 broke the crank at 57000 miles,, not under load or hard pull, un modded motor. I was actually coasting downhill,,, throttled up to climb next hill,,,, major diesel knock and this motor was quiet before that. Metallurgy flaw in crank,,, so it's really hard to say,, stock motor could give way as easy as a modded motor.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Turning off the inferred catalyst, oxygen sensor, and exhaust valve temperature protection logic decreases engine durability dramatically and is commonly turned off by tuners. After reading Ford Racing's spiel on tuners on page 150 of the Ford Racing Parts catalog I'd think that 650-700 with cats in place is the max and 700+ is asking for trouble in the long-run even without cats unless one is running E-85 which burns cooler.

Exhaust temperatures are the enemy and "tuliping" of the exhaust valve will occur over time for guys running above 700rwhp with the cats removed. So no catastrophic failures but incremental damage done from hot exhaust gases. Guys running anything over 700 should get an EGT gauge and have it pillar-mounted for piece of mind. Above 1650 degrees exhaust temp is asking for durability problems.

I'm conservative with modding so TB, res delete, gears, frpp mufflers and maybe minor tuning will be my limit.

Hourigan218

Established Member
Just a question about running over 700 rwhp but what the super snake at shelby is leaving the exhaust pretty much stock and adding the 3.6 kb and bringing the rwhp to about 750. For what I have heard it is a pretty safe tune. Wondering how safe it is with a set up like that.

Hourigan218

Established Member
Just a question about running over 700 rwhp but what the super snake at shelby is leaving the exhaust pretty much stock and adding the 3.6 kb and bringing the rwhp to about 750. For what I have heard it is a pretty safe tune. Wondering how safe it is with a set up like that.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Would question the durability testing of the cats used in the SS package, if OEM I would be concerned as I thought those were a reason FRPP didn't pursue power packs for the '13-14s?
The EGT idea really isn't practical unless you're looking at each cylinder and for prolonged pulls like standing mile or top end of strip.
We have twin wide-band o2s, best tool to use.
-J

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I'm going for 850rwhp and 900rwtq eventually sometime next year on the stock motor and blower. I'm almost there....got about 100hp/tq to go. I've also bought a spare 5.8 just incase when thing goes it's I reparable. When it goes, I'll build it to 1200hp tho!!!!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My tuner, JDM, seems to feel 780rw is a safe level for my 14, with the mods I have, & a stock bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread