Stock engine HP limit?

rdsnk46

Established Member
I see a few guys pushing their cars into the 800 rwhp range. How far are people pushing these motors with good results? I'm very impressed thus far with the power levels I see coming from the Trinity motor!

Thanks Andy

paluka21

Established Member
I've always understood the weak point of these motors are the I-beam rods, with the other parts of the rotating assembly being very stout.

ThomasL

Established Member
I've been over 800 for 5k miles. Still running strong. Drive it almost everyday. And she's put in some work in Mexico too ;)

rwboring

Established Member
kind of my point the longevity hasn't really been tested... if you told me that there is a 20k life on the bottom end with 800rwhp i would say that isn't a good "limit".

we haven't seen an up to date mileage yet but we don't even know how long stock will last yet!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
kind of my point the longevity hasn't really been tested... if you told me that there is a 20k life on the bottom end with 800rwhp i would say that isn't a good "limit".

Really? Are you saying if you got 20k miles out of it tuned to 800rwhp you would be disappointed?
If so, don't play the mod game.
I'll be at 800rwhp very shortly and I'm prepared to build the bottom end at anytime.

I think with a good tune and reasonable rpm limit (65-6700 range), they will last a long time.
-J

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Really? Are you saying if you got 20k miles out of it tuned to 800rwhp you would be disappointed?
If so, don't play the mod game.
I'll be at 800rwhp very shortly and I'm prepared to build the bottom end at anytime.

I think with a good tune and reasonable rpm limit (65-6700 range), they will last a long time.
-J

Getting 20k out of a motor would certainly be unacceptable in my book. When people ask questions like the one by the OP, I think what they are generally looking for is how much power can I add and still have a reliable engine that will take me over 100,000 miles. The 03 cobra was a good example, you could pulley/tune/port blower and drive around with 500rwhp for the life of the car. I'm guessing the OP is looking for the '13 Shelby version of this.

carguy19

Established Member
I see a few guys pushing their cars into the 800 rwhp range. How far are people pushing these motors with good results? I'm very impressed thus far with the power levels I see coming from the Trinity motor!

Thanks Andy

A stock motor with new rods in it is safe to 13-1500 hp. :D

A bone stock motor, factory specs, I think is safe to 800-850 wheel as long as you shift no higher then 63-6400. Which is when they are out of steam anyway. There is no need to rev these cars over 6500 to 7000 rpm.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
A stock motor with new rods in it is safe to 13-1500 hp. :D

A bone stock motor, factory specs, I think is safe to 800-850 wheel as long as you shift no higher then 63-6400. Which is when they are out of steam anyway. There is no need to rev these cars over 6500 to 7000 rpm.
I totally agree RPM is the killer, BUT with the Ford GT cams all these cars peak at 6600 range and run faster at the strip with higher shifts.
I've been going with 750-800rwhp range as safe factory limit, I think anyone pushing 800rwhp has to expect potential failure if you actually use the 800rwhp. It'll break on the road or track, not a dyno.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Getting 20k out of a motor would certainly be unacceptable in my book. When people ask questions like the one by the OP, I think what they are generally looking for is how much power can I add and still have a reliable engine that will take me over 100,000 miles. The 03 cobra was a good example, you could pulley/tune/port blower and drive around with 500rwhp for the life of the car. I'm guessing the OP is looking for the '13 Shelby version of this.
It's not getting 20k out of a stock motor, I'm saying IF you choose to modify up to 800rwhp, why would you be upset if there is a failure?
I'll be pushing the stock motor as long as it lasts, it'll see 800rwhp and regular highway pulls up to 6500rpm and 3-4 strip trips with 6700rpm shifts.
I hope it lasts a long time, but I would never be upset if I had to upgrade the bottom end at 800rwhp.
-J

carguy19

Established Member
I totally agree RPM is the killer, BUT with the Ford GT cams all these cars peak at 6600 range and run faster at the strip with higher shifts.
I've been going with 750-800rwhp range as safe factory limit, I think anyone pushing 800rwhp has to expect potential failure if you actually use the 800rwhp. It'll break on the road or track, not a dyno.
-J

I have been getting my fastest times so far shifting at 6200---- by the time I react and throw the shift, its done by 6500 ish. I feel like the car is out of steam by 6500 if I rev it higher.

Even speaking with the guys that put my car together, and Mr Lund himself, I was told there was no reason to rev it higher. My car makes crazy torque tho because of the lower and the blower port (777tq on a mustang dyno). I dont know if thats why.

My car has gears in it, I dont know if that makes difference either. Even if I leave a .10 or two on the table, I would rather keep it together.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with you on the safety might not be worth the extra tenth, but I've had my car run faster as well as a friends run significantly better with the higher shift.
My dyno graphs always peak at 6600rpm, but I haven't had it on the dyno since the 15% lower and real mods.
As you start pushing the blower higher, I usually see the peak drop some.
Where did your MD graph peak?
-J

rwboring

Established Member

hell yes I would!!! at least in my situation considering I have 22,000 on the car so far. Some people drive theirs, if it were 20k at a strip or track then I would say you would have less to bitch about however the OP didn't say what he was doing with it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
He mentioned 800rwhp and if you've seen his experience, more than a few miles will be at the strip ;-)
So, at stock power as a DD, 100k+ would be expected.
Not at 800rwhp as that was the question.
-J

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Wow I once wanted to Mod but I just can't it just seems like my car has more than enough power. I admire the enthusiasm here though....thus the "Enthusiast" in all this! Nice numbers I have been seeing.

carguy19

Established Member
My 2c is that 500-550whp on a 4.6 cobra motor and 800-850 whp on a GT500 definitely cause different levels of stress, harmonics, and wear on a motor and its moving parts and bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread