Stock engine failure

nyerpp

Established Member
So two weeks ago from Easter Friday I was driving my car home from work logging some miles on it prior to getting my new catted X-pipe and Roush axle back exhaust installed and my motor threw two rods.

I had it towed to a local shop, they took the motor out and dug into it. Ends up two rods let go, the pistons mashed one of the heads, punched a hole in the block and some of the debris got sucked into the bypass valve ans seized the blower.

Depressing is not the word to use. Anyway it will get rebuilt, but it will take time. I have looked at multiple avenues and continue to weigh my options, but I am liking the 9.5:1 compression aluminator FRPP motor and hopefully a reconditioned TVS.

Anyone else have a similar experience on a stock motor failing under boost? Knowing the experiences of others in similar situations would be good to know.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Ouch man. How much boost were you pushing?

Edit: Nevermind just saw your sig. I'm really surprised it let go with an 82mm pulley.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
very common. sorry to hear. good luck on the rebuild

Last edited:

BrianH87

Established Member
I feel your pain man. The threads like this that pop up from time to time made me decide to go back to the Roush tune until I get enough cash together for an aluminator. Then it will be open season. Good luck getting it fixed. You can probably have the blower rebuilt / checked out by stiegemeier.

soSincerious

Established Member
maybe questionable tune and / or fuel?

kinda crazy reading the thread about a stock engine going all out into the mid 8's and OP has one that blew up during a normal drive ...

sorry to hear man, I wish you better luck in the future

Riptide

Established Member
lol jeez I just ordered a TVS. Not exactly what you want to see the same day you spend a buttload on a kit.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Just curious, who tuned it?

Sorry to hear man, definitely sucks. I guess that's the chance we take when bolting big power kits on these cars. Hopefully the new motor build goes smooth

Kid Smitty

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your motor. This is a tune issue ... Not the motor. Last weekend I beat the shit out of my car. Stock motor with 2.3 tvs, 82mm, injectors and tune. Wanted 180 at the texas mile and kept coming up short. Data logged then data logged again. Ended up adding 3 degrees of timing. Out the back door of the mile at 7600 rpm at 180.8 with no knock . Couldn't have done that without watching things closely. Wot for 30 seconds is a serious test. The 5.0 is solid, with the right tune.

SCalla1384

Established Member
If 2 rod bolts let go, it could definitely be the motor. Not every motor is built the same. But idk the full details so who knows. Regardless, anytime you add power, especially a power adder you're playing with fire

4VFTW

Established Member
thats terrible to see OP. this was my nightmare scenario when I was deciding on what type of FI to go with and was a factor in me deciding to go Centri over TVS

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I also see your car was run on a 69mm pulley by the previous owner and only made 520 on the 82mm on your last dyno.(real low)It may have been hurt for a while and finally decided to let go.

corepwn

Established Member
I know that these cars are so plug and play that it's easy to make power and expect OEM reliability, but the fact is that the tuning is beyond questionable based on post history. 520rwhp on the 82mm pulley on a dyno sheet that shows A/F going all over on the top end would definitely raise eye brows. The 69mm pulley CAN be run for short bursts if all variables are taken care of (Correct fuel, correct fuel volume, correct tuning).

I also agree that the car was probably hurt due to fuel or tuning in the past and it eventually gave out.

Shaun@AED

From my experience Canadian fuel is very low quality. Very similar to what we see in the OK city area actually. We convert as many OK customers as possible to E85 for this reason.
Unfortunately E85 is not an option up north.
I do not like tuning boosted applications on Canadian Pump Gas.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
From my experience Canadian fuel is very low quality. Very similar to what we see in the OK city area actually. We convert as many OK customers as possible to E85 for this reason.
Unfortunately E85 is not an option up north.
I do not like tuning boosted applications on Canadian Pump Gas.

This^, and there are only 3 or 4 that test at E70, and ONE that carries 85 AND 100. We are stuck with either running around with 70, or driving to North OKC for 85 or mixing 70/100. OP, Get on the corn!

Users who are viewing this thread