Stock engine failure

hand-filer

Established Member
My friend works at the Esso distribution center here in Winnipeg. He's a chemical engineer and one of his job functions is to test the quality of the fuel. He suggests you are full of it as far as your assertion that our fuel is of low quality. I tend to agree.

From my experience Canadian fuel is very low quality. Very similar to what we see in the OK city area actually. We convert as many OK customers as possible to E85 for this reason.
Unfortunately E85 is not an option up north.
I do not like tuning boosted applications on Canadian Pump Gas.

Last edited:

bmoney50

Established Member
My friend works at the Esso distribution center here in Winnipeg. He's a chemical engineer and one of his job functions is to test the quality of the fuel. He suggests you are full of it as far as your assertion that our fuel is of low quality. I tend to agree based on my experience with running US fuel.

I can vouch for Oklahoma fuel quality being poor as a whole. I don't care what a chemical engineer thinks "good" fuel quality is. The knock sensors will tell you all you need to know about the fuel.

4VFTW

Established Member
I can vouch for Oklahoma fuel quality being poor as a whole. I don't care what a chemical engineer thinks "good" fuel quality is. The knock sensors will tell you all you need to know about the fuel.
I agree , log the sensors and let them vouch for the fuel

Last edited:

hand-filer

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your gas quality. I'm just grateful to live in an area where we don't have those issues.

cb900f

Established Member

I agree , log the sensors and let them vouch for the fuel

Hand-filer is from Canada. I think he was referring to gas up there.

hand-filer

Established Member
Yes thanks for pointing that out. While I don't deny that poor fuel exists up here, I take exception to blanket statements that Canadian gas is inferior.

bmoney50

Established Member

I know he is... I may have misread his comment about USA fuel. Bottom line is the knock sensors are the only way to verify the fuel. You would think the standards from place to place would be alot closer but as we have seen its not. It makes me want to get an aerforce guage to monitor knock all the time. This may not be fuel related but I wouldn't bet my new motor that it's not.

Beernuts

Established Member
My friend works at the Esso distribution center here in Winnipeg. He's a chemical engineer and one of his job functions is to test the quality of the fuel. He suggests you are full of it as far as your assertion that our fuel is of low quality. I tend to agree.

Could be the stations selling mislabeled fuel like this shitbag billionaire was doing here in Michigan: State sues Moroun's Ambassador Bridge company over mislabeled gasoline.

"The lawsuit, filed last week in Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing, said a company called Ammex, part of the business empire of businessman Manuel (Matty) Moroun, was selling gas labeled as 93 octane when it tested as low as 91.2."

Wouldnt be surprised to hear that this was being done elsewhere.

Last edited:

nyerpp

Established Member
Hey Again,

To shed more light:

I am the second owner of the car, I traded in my 2010 M90 4.6 3-valve on it last spring. The original owner traded it in on a 2010 ZR1 Corvette, my new car was very clean showed no obvious signs of abuse and only had 22K on it. I spoke to original owners and the shop that tuned the car and they said it laid down 585 to the wheels. I took it a local shop to confirm the dyno numbers and it only laid down 525 on their dyno.

Shortly afterwards when at the track I noticed that it would misfire at high RPM under WOT in 3rd and 4th gears. After seeing the codes it was throwing it was recommended that I change the plugs and then CATS in that order to resolve the issue. I changed the plugs with NGK Irridium (one range colder than stock) and left gapped at 0.032". Problem was not resolved, so the car sat over the winter in the garage under a car cover and I ordered a catted X-pipe and Roush axle back exhaust.

It has a street 91 octane tune and an off road 93 octane tune, it had the 91 tune in it and 94 octane gas in the tank. The car sat over the winter with a full tank of gas and fuel stabilizer. I had just finished the winter tank of gas and had filled up with a fresh tank of 94 octane. I was on my home from work and pulling away from a set of lights, I shifted from first to second at 3000 RPM to avoid the skip shift and it popped, motor only had 26K on it. Funny thing was the next day I was getting the new exhaust installed and dyno tuned.

As someone had mentioned I found out the original owner had a 69 mm pulley on the car and possibly nitrous before the blower. Once the engine was out it was diagnosed to be bad gas or too many high RPM pulls, either way damage is done. I do know that I babied the car and do not abuse anything I own.

I am currently working out my options, but regardless it will be an expensive lesson to learn.

466roller

Established Member
Sorry to hear man. I agree with those who said the motor was wounded when you got the car. Maybe by the previous owner or the techs at the dealer that "safety checked it". Either way you'll get it sorted and I'm sure you'll enjoy it that much more.

nyerpp

Established Member
I feel your pain man. The threads like this that pop up from time to time made me decide to go back to the Roush tune until I get enough cash together for an aluminator. Then it will be open season. Good luck getting it fixed. You can probably have the blower rebuilt / checked out by stiegemeier.

I contacted them last weekend to see what could be done. I need to send more pics.

hand-filer

Established Member
Hey Again,

To shed more light:

I am the second owner of the car, I traded in my 2010 M90 4.6 3-valve on it last spring. The original owner traded it in on a 2010 ZR1 Corvette, my new car was very clean showed no obvious signs of abuse and only had 22K on it. I spoke to original owners and the shop that tuned the car and they said it laid down 585 to the wheels. I took it a local shop to confirm the dyno numbers and it only laid down 525 on their dyno.

Shortly afterwards when at the track I noticed that it would misfire at high RPM under WOT in 3rd and 4th gears. After seeing the codes it was throwing it was recommended that I change the plugs and then CATS in that order to resolve the issue. I changed the plugs with NGK Irridium (one range colder than stock) and left gapped at 0.032". Problem was not resolved, so the car sat over the winter in the garage under a car cover and I ordered a catted X-pipe and Roush axle back exhaust.

It has a street 91 octane tune and an off road 93 octane tune, it had the 91 tune in it and 94 octane gas in the tank. The car sat over the winter with a full tank of gas and fuel stabilizer. I had just finished the winter tank of gas and had filled up with a fresh tank of 94 octane. I was on my home from work and pulling away from a set of lights, I shifted from first to second at 3000 RPM to avoid the skip shift and it popped, motor only had 26K on it. Funny thing was the next day I was getting the new exhaust installed and dyno tuned.

As someone had mentioned I found out the original owner had a 69 mm pulley on the car and possibly nitrous before the blower. Once the engine was out it was diagnosed to be bad gas or too many high RPM pulls, either way damage is done. I do know that I babied the car and do not abuse anything I own.

I am currently working out my options, but regardless it will be an expensive lesson to learn.

Too many Santiago de Cuba's to provide a rational response other than to say it will work out in the end

pickles

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your gas quality. I'm just grateful to live in an area where we don't have those issues.

Our 94 husky/mohawk in SK seems to be pretty stout. I've never had issues with knock

The 91 here is pretty shitty though. I picked up almost 10 degree's timing switching over to 94

5lho

Established Member
Canadian gas is generally quite good quality, that's part of the reason it costs so damn much. Getting anything over 91 is really hard down south, particularly on the west coast, where 94 is easily obtainable up here. 94 also contains no ethanol or MBTE. MBTE was actually never even allowed in Canada, in any grade. Our ethanol blends are restricted to 10% maximum as well.

Users who are viewing this thread