Stock air box vs CAI video

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
The intake might have made some more power on the dyno, but its going to take more power than what it may have added to see Results on the street where ALOT of variables are at play.

I think its cool to see videos like this, but ALOT of people are going to treat this like its the end all to the debate of is a Cold Air Intake worth very much on pretty much stock cars.

Great runs by both cars!

Mikegee1028

Established Member
The intake might have made some more power on the dyno, but its going to take more power than what it may have added to see Results on the street where ALOT of variables are at play.

I think its cool to see videos like this, but ALOT of people are going to treat this like its the end all to the debate of is a Cold Air Intake worth very much on pretty much stock cars.

Great runs by both cars!

Great statement.

corepwn

Established Member
Cliffs of this thread? can someone recap? lol

Recap:
1. Out of four runs the same night with the same two cars, OP posts the single video where he gets half a car on the other and calls it a redemption victory for everyone who believes that the CAI does jack shit for an NA car.

2. Lots of use of the words "MINIMAL GAINS" with no repeatable evidence anywhere to suggest even those exist NA with a CAI, all analytical evidence proving contrary is thrown out by the OP due to "waaayy too many factors". :nono: When the OP writes "MINIMAL GAINS" he must mean "immeasurable gains" which.. is self explanatory.

3. Lots of back and forth arguing, that's about it. ;-)

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Did a little test last night using my track apps. Ran the car stock 0-60 and ran a 5.2, Put on tune only and ran a 4.5, Tune and Airaid CAI with insert 4.4, without insert 4.5.
Will try the 1/8 th mile when i can get to the deserted mile road.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
A single run with each mod is nonsense. Do 5-10 on each setup and come back with the raw data and some averages.

corepwn

Established Member

grnenvy

Established Member
Cold air intake? It needs to be called open element intake. There's no cold air it's all hot getting to those open element filters.
When I get back from vacation I'll post pics of my Stealth stock box. IMOP works the best and it made me almost 1 pound more of boost.

corepwn

Established Member
Pay more attention, its not my car. So you think a open hood increases 15+ hp? ..

Yes. See post 45 in this very thread.

Techwerks said:
This is what Kenne Bell has to say about dyno's ...

http://techwerkz.com/DynoTestVariables.pdf

No idea if that is live on their website anymore or not, but I saved it many years ago. #27 and #28 are great examples of why people see dyno gains with these big filters when the hood is open on the dyno. The stock airbox is closed, so hood open shows no gains. Close the hood and seal in that big filter, and the gains if any are miniscule.

If the CAI actually gave you 15rwhp, it would be consistently 1-2mph higher trap speed in the 1/4th and 1.5 tenths in ET. Keep in mind that the 15rwhp number is the same gain that you would gain by going to an offroad mid pipe. No one is debating OR-Mid gains, because the 15rwhp there shows up consistently and can be measured.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Cold air intake? It needs to be called open element intake. There's no cold air it's all hot getting to those open element filters.
When I get back from vacation I'll post pics of my Stealth stock box. IMOP works the best and it made me almost 1 pound more of boost.

I am curious to see this.

I think for a "CAI" to work best, it either needs to be sealed (Like the K&N), or it needs to draw some additional air from another source. I have often kicked around the idea of trying a sealed box setup.

Mike

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
This hot and cold air is so easy to prove. Get an aerforce gauge and drive.

It's not hot air, LOL
DYNO TESTING WITH THE HOOD UP EXPLAINED - YouTube

cool vid, i used to be on the CAI no good side, i decided to pull the trigger on a JLT CF cai for the hell of it, installed, updated the tune...its worlds better than stock box. The throttle response is GREAT, it pulls allot harder, i especially love the 4.5k to redline!, sounds great....honestly i cant see myself ever going back to stock unless i HAD too. I have a 13 also with the hood vents and i can assure you the filter(with rain and car washes) never get wet.

Mikegee1028

Established Member
cool vid, i used to be on the CAI no good side, i decided to pull the trigger on a JLT CF cai for the hell of it, installed, updated the tune...its worlds better than stock box. The throttle response is GREAT, it pulls allot harder, i especially love the 4.5k to redline!, sounds great....honestly i cant see myself ever going back to stock unless i HAD too. I have a 13 also with the hood vents and i can assure you the filter(with rain and car washes) never get wet.

Some people will never sway despite any information given to them what can you say...

Users who are viewing this thread