Stock air box vs CAI video

techwerkz

Established Member
obviously hundreds of other posts and many reputable shops even one that is notorious with our cars here in florida have said otherwise, theres is always two sides to an argument it seems like you were set on this not making a difference from the get go unless i put buses on you which didn't take a rocket scientist to know WASNT going to happen but hey maybe even then im sure there wouldve been some excuse as to why it happened wether its me being cuban or that the rice and beans i ate werent as heavy as the rack of lamb you ate and that caused the difference in car lengths.

Ill stick with my guns it made a Minimal gain not huge MINIMAL if your not willing to accept that thats fine by me lol.. well try again once you put on your headers.

LOL @ your excuse lines. Sorry man, it didn't make a difference. 3/4 runs were identical after the intake. I am an analytical kind of guy, and statistically 75% of the time it made no difference, and 25% of the time it did. Regardless of other factors. I'll go with the consensus. It didn't make a difference.

All in all, this is a pointless thread.

techwerkz

Established Member
There is a gain, however it is not easily quantified at the track. I can 100% feel a difference in the way the car performs. It is not strictly a power issue though, it is just an overall difference. I also manage to drive the car down the strip more effectively with the CAI in place, for whatever reason.

Mike

So, you're not seeing a gain at the track but are driving better ... could be mental. If it was performing better you would see it through the traps down the track IMO. Especially when traps are listed in hundredths sometimes thousandths depending on the track.

We are all beating a dead horse here as I said in my second post in this thread.

Napoleon85

Established Member
I added it to a completely stock car. Now as for your comment , it was from tune now CAI, well no sh**, the CAI needs a tune.
As for not tested on same day as stock numbers, well sorry, not sure about you I don't have the money to pay a shop a hourly rate to sit around and let me change the intake systems,
I didn't take it due to rain, but I know the DA was higher today, so if I were to have it dynoed with CAI and there was a increase ,then I would be satisfied,
I don't need laboratory perfect conditions to be a believer. If you read my post, I would do it over again just for looks alone, I see people spend more money on other mods for looks..

If you're happy with it as an aesthetic mod, that's fine. People spend much more on appearance mods all the time, as your said. I was simply pointing out that your testing methods don't produce any usable data.

Same day/same dyno costs no more money than two dyno runs on different days, so I'm not entirely sure what you're saying about not having the money. You could always schedule two sessions with an hour gap between them and change the intake in their parking lot.

It's also not really a valid comparison if there was no tune on the car before. When you change two things at once, it'd not possible to quantify how much gains came from each change.

Mikegee1028

Established Member
The argument is not wether it's worth it or not the argument is did it make a difference and my buddy over here fails to see that

Unrealford

Established Member
If you're happy with it as an aesthetic mod, that's fine. People spend much more on appearance mods all the time, as your said. I was simply pointing out that your testing methods don't produce any usable data.

Same day/same dyno costs no more money than two dyno runs on different days, so I'm not entirely sure what you're saying about not having the money. You could always schedule two sessions with an hour gap between them and change the intake in their parking lot.

It's also not really a valid comparison if there was no tune on the car before. When you change two things at once, it'd not possible to quantify how much gains came from each change.

Well theres noway to test it without a tune. Car could be damaged. They advise not even starting it without a tune.
Shops around here arent that patient. After your dyno hes got other work to do.
But the day I took in stock it was 800ft above sea level. But today was over 2,000 ft so if it gained with tune/ Cai then I would trust it.
I think just a airbox to Cai without tune would be no difference.

techwerkz

Established Member
Well theres noway to test it without a tune. Car could be damaged. They advise not even starting it without a tune.
Shops around here arent that patient. After your dyno hes got other work to do.
But the day I took in stock it was 800ft above sea level. But today was over 2,000 ft so if it gained with tune/ Cai then I would trust it.
I think just a airbox to Cai without tune would be no difference.

Make sure you close the hood when testing that CAI. :-D

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
So, you're not seeing a gain at the track but are driving better ... could be mental. If it was performing better you would see it through the traps down the track IMO. Especially when traps are listed in hundredths sometimes thousandths depending on the track.

We are all beating a dead horse here as I said in my second post in this thread.

I have run faster and quicker with the JLT than I ever did with an airbox. However, I have done more mods since I swapped...so that is not conclusive. However, it is not just a difference in driving, the car just performs better and pulls cleaner through the powerband.

Mike

techwerkz

Established Member
I have run faster and quicker with the JLT than I ever did with an airbox. However, I have done more mods since I swapped...so that is not conclusive. However, it is not just a difference in driving, the car just performs better and pulls cleaner through the powerband.

Mike

So you did more mods after the intake and ran faster but the intake made the difference? I don't understand that logic. Have you tested by putting the stock airbox back in place and running in a similar DA? What were the new mods? How dirty was your stock paper filter? Did you use a K&N drop in? There are so many variables I don't really care to discuss.

Dead. Horse.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
My JLT does not whistle. It makes a good deal of noise under WOT, but there is no whistle that I can hear.

Well mine did. As soon as I dipped into the throttle there was a faint whistle. And then a bit of normal intake sound. But it sounded nothing like any other intake I've had on the tons of previous cars I had. Maybe it was because I left the sound tube connected?

Coming from someone who had a roush axleback and an ORX I'm suprised he heard any whistling maybe it's that little sound u get in your ear from excessive loud noise

No it was not ringing in my ear. And really the Roush AB + O/R X isn't that loud, besides a cold start or having your foot fully in it, it is far from obnoxious loud. It is difficult to accurately describe but there was a whistle sort of noise as soon as I got on the throttle. To the point that it was annoying me enough to go back to the stock box. Again maybe it was the sound tube, don't know, no longer care.

i have a how too on getting rid of it without a tune ;-) check the how too's

Yes I know you can simply unplug it. I've had other cars with skip shift. I am at the point where the car is already really not doing it for me anymore. The fit and finish is poor on lots of things, the interior material quality is subpar especially on a "premium", and there are numerous odd noises and squeaks on a car with basically stock suspension and only 16k miles. So at this current time it is going back to mostly stock in case I come across something that catches my eye so I can easily flip it.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
So you did more mods after the intake and ran faster but the intake made the difference? I don't understand that logic. Have you tested by putting the stock airbox back in place and running in a similar DA? What were the new mods? How dirty was your stock paper filter? Did you use a K&N drop in? There are so many variables I don't really care to discuss.

Dead. Horse.

No, that is not what I said at all, but you can try to spin it that way if you want.

I was running a paper air filter with the box. I did a back to back comparison way back with the two. It was inconclusive and was one of the threads WBT linked up there......

Mike

Mikegee1028

Established Member
Well mine did. As soon as I dipped into the throttle there was a faint whistle. And then a bit of normal intake sound. But it sounded nothing like any other intake I've had on the tons of previous cars I had. Maybe it was because I left the sound tube connected?

No it was not ringing in my ear. And really the Roush AB + O/R X isn't that loud, besides a cold start or having your foot fully in it, it is far from obnoxious loud. It is difficult to accurately describe but there was a whistle sort of noise as soon as I got on the throttle. To the point that it was annoying me enough to go back to the stock box. Again maybe it was the sound tube, don't know, no longer care.

Yes I know you can simply unplug it. I've had other cars with skip shift. I am at the point where the car is already really not doing it for me anymore. The fit and finish is poor on lots of things, the interior material quality is subpar especially on a "premium", and there are numerous odd noises and squeaks on a car with basically stock suspension and only 16k miles. So at this current time it is going back to mostly stock in case I come across something that catches my eye so I can easily flip it.

W.e you do don't go with a 5th gen Camaro lol

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
LOL, that's the best thing there is unless you own a dyno queen. I'm pretty sure the people at this forum mod their cars so they are faster, not just for a nice dyno chart.

you mean chicks dont dig the horsepower you put out on the dyno?!?!!?!? no wonder i never get laid :(

gs462

Established Member
The auto car is mine, and that second race is no comparison. I spun (bald all seasons ftw!). End thread.

If you want all the entire story. We ran 4 times that night, the first 3 races it made no difference. The last race he got a half car. Our previous runs before the intake were all door to door, on a different night.

Mine - Auto, 3.15s, Magnaflow ORX, Bassani ABs, 245/45/19 Pirelli All Seasons, Holmes Racing Tune, 3,640 rpm in 2nd, +50lbs driver weight (damn small Cubans)
His - Manual, 3.31s, BBR ORX, Roush ABs, 275/35/19 Nitto NT05, AED Tune, 4,100 rpm in 2nd

So as it's been said a ton of times, on a stock motor 5.0 it makes no difference.

Thanks for the videos, This proves to me the stock airbox is pretty damn good, 1/2 car isnt much and there are many things that could have made that difference in the ONE race it happened. STOCK box for me.

Mikegee1028

Established Member
Thanks for the videos, This proves to me the stock airbox is pretty damn good, 1/2 car isnt much and there are many things that could have made that difference in the ONE race it happened. STOCK box for me.

no problem man im glad this helped with your decision. this was my goal showing hard working people who work hard for their money wether a mod is Worth it or not for their financial situation...

techwerkz

Established Member

Can't go wrong. aFe dry drop in has proved to not lose power if you want a washable filter.

Users who are viewing this thread