Stock air box vs CAI video

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
^Exactly what did that video prove? Why were there not any full pulls instead of just crusing at 70 in 6th? If you are looking to "prove" that you're not sucking hot air why not do 5-10 1st-3rd pulls with the JLT and then the stock box and compare IATs?

corepwn

Established Member
^Exactly what did that video prove? Why were there not any full pulls instead of just crusing at 70 in 6th? If you are looking to "prove" that you're not sucking hot air why not do 5-10 1st-3rd pulls with the JLT and then the stock box and compare IATs?

I see 5 minutes of driving around and talking instead of a few pulls on a dyno.
stock airbox vs closed hood cai

Shit, close the hood on the stock airbox while you make that pull to keep it as even as possible.

Mikegee1028

Established Member

Shit, close the hood on the stock airbox while you make that pull to keep it as even as possible.

I have an idea we install my cai on your car you test it, and we put your supercharger in my car so that it I can keep it safe for you while you do these tests

Tucker

LOL, your not getting it. Hood closed, hood open on the stock box doesn't do anything
Look, listen and it proves itself.

Your not moving 40-100 MPH air across the front of your car when your on the dyno, like you are on the road.

When you dyno hood up you only getting ambiant air or higher to the filter. So hood up is not a benifit, but hood down is not fair.

It's easy to see, but it's up to you to be open minded about it.

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
LOL, your not getting it. Hood closed, hood open on the stock box doesn't do anything
Look, listen and it proves itself.

Your not moving 40-100 MPH air across the front of your car when your on the dyno, like you are on the road.

When you dyno hood up you only getting ambiant air or higher to the filter. So hood up is not a benifit, but hood down is not fair.

It's easy to see, but it's up to you to be open minded about it.

So we're still going back and forth about what a marvelous upgrade a CAI (not your's, but any of them) is on a NA car and are completely unable to provide evidence to back it up.

You're also making it seem like there's a ram air effect in play with a CAI and that's the first time I'm hearing that. Otherwise the air speed hitting the car is completely irrelevant.

Track slips apparently have "waaay too many variables" and dynos with hood open show false gains (per Kenne Bell). While you own a dyno, you'll also post a ride along video with a bunch of talking instead of what anyone really cares to see which is verifiable and repeatable results.

There's no doubt that the CAI kit is proven with a FI car. But on an NA car not so much.

Tucker

So we're still going back and forth about what a marvelous upgrade a CAI (not your's, but any of them) is on a NA car and are completely unable to provide evidence to back it up.
Not marvelous, just an additional 10-15 HP, but still worth it.
You're also making it seem like there's a ram air effect in play with a CAI and that's the first time I'm hearing that. Otherwise the air speed hitting the car is completely irrelevant.

Track slips apparently have "waaay too many variables" and dynos with hood open show false gains (per Kenne Bell). While you own a dyno, you'll also post a ride along video with a bunch of talking instead of what anyone really cares to see which is verifiable and repeatable results.
We don't own a dyno, but do have access to one anytime we need it. The fact is were talking about real world temps, not dyno numbers. Also, many have proved it to be worth it at the track, even those trying to disprove it went faster nearly everytime and they are the ones who said "in conclusive"
There's no doubt that the CAI kit is proven with a FI car. But on an NA car not so much.

Nooo, no one mentioned ram air, not sure where that came from.

Air gets to the filter from the air inlet in the grille as well as gaps in body panels, upper and lower grille and the underside of the car.

So no dyno (other than a temp controlled dyno cell) can simulate real world conditions.
All we proved (not tried to prove, proved) in the video is that in real world driving conditions the IAT's are 3-12 degerees above ambient, not HOT or hundreds like people say and think (without testing).

It's a fact, not a guess.

So, now we know when driving the temps at the MAF are near ambient. So why in the heck would we close the hood while sitting still on a dyno and have a tiny fan blowing on the radiator???

Hood open ONLY gives ambiant, usually slightly higher due to filter placement, air to the filter. Not cooler than you see when driving and we are trying to see what power we have "while driving"

The bottom line is the test is easy to do, so the best thing to do is do it and see.

Here's another test we did with our S/C'd 2011
IAT Temp test - YouTube

Stock box on our 2011
Inlet air temp test 2011 GT stock air box - YouTube

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
All we proved (not tried to prove, proved) in the video is that in real world driving conditions the IAT's are 3-12 degerees above ambient, not HOT or hundreds like people say and think (without testing).

It's a fact, not a guess.

So, now we know when driving the temps at the MAF are near ambient. So why in the heck would we close the hood while sitting still on a dyno and have a tiny fan blowing on the radiator???

Hood open ONLY gives ambiant, usually slightly higher due to filter placement, air to the filter. Not cooler than you see when driving and we are trying to see what power we have "while driving"

The bottom line is the test is easy to do, so the best thing to do is do it and see.

Hood open, hood closed on the dyno doesn't matter. The only thing you "proved" with that video is that IATs are just above ambient while cruising in 6th with little load. What happens when you actually run the car through the gears repeated times then come to a stop light for 30 seconds and do it all over again? Which setup keeps IATs lower over a that duration? That is what matters.

KidMoney

Established Member
This argument is hilarious. If it's so close that there is even an argument about it, then clearly the mod is more for looks than power. Also, with the hood up, the filter has access to more air than it would with it being cold. Not cooler air.

Tucker

What happens when you actually run the car through the gears repeated times then come to a stop light for 30 seconds and do it all over again? Which setup keeps IATs lower over a that duration? That is what matters.
IAT's drop during WOT everytime.

Holy crap guys, stop typing and do the test.

At WOT the throttle is wide open allowing all the cool air that's coming in faster and faster through the grille air inlet into the filter area.
At WOT you can get to ambient temps.

At idle ALL IAT's will rise, stock and aftermarket, see my stock video, but the open filter always cools down faster because it has more surface area collecting cooler air coming in.

It's really simple, but I guess I'm spreading black magic.
I'm out

Jay

Tucker

This argument is hilarious. If it's so close that there is even an argument about it, then clearly the mod is more for looks than power. Also, with the hood up, the filter has access to more air than it would with it being cold. Not cooler air.

Your not thinking this through.
Hood up is for temps, but air flow is low or stagnant.
Hood closed and driving air is flowing in and all around the filter.

Unrealford

Established Member
Your not thinking this through.
Hood up is for temps, but air flow is low or stagnant.
Hood closed and driving air is flowing in and all around the filter.

Tucker I gave up on these guys, as someone else posted. You can feed them facts all day, they just DONT get it. I really wonder sometimes if their like 12 yr old kids registered on this site.
I have a CAI/ and tune ( because the CAI I have requires it. I dont need a dyno to prove to me. I know and drive my car enough to feel the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread