...Still having problems with Procharger

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
Quadcammer - Monty at JMS Chips told me to gap them there. He said that was where the best success was. And I'll have to say it was a bit smoother on the bottom end.

Venomous - Call me stubborn. It's just a personal battle at this point. And how's my charitable "Tow the terd" fund going? And I saw your video. Pretty weak if you ask me. hahaha.

Hey man I am just giving you hell.. I am more aggrivated with us old schoolers on here for not having any more suggestions. At this point I am anxious for you to get it fix and cure my curiosity

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
Hey man I am just giving you hell.. I am more aggrivated with us old schoolers on here for not having any more suggestions. At this point I am anxious for you to get it fix and cure my curiosity

Travis,
there really aren't any more suggestions. We're shoting blind because we don't know what any of the sensor inputs look like nor how accurate the tune is. Other than a MAF problem, what else is left? The tune; and that can't be fixed without software to do it.

No sense in getting aggravated about it.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I have had a mailorder tune for a blower from JMS and they made all three settings very close to each other. I put down 442rwhp on the mailorder tune and then when I dyno tuned I made 569rwhp. JMS is very good tuners and builders I have never had a problem with them fixing any problems or giving me advice, so get the datalogging liked the ask and I will bet my life they will fix the issue.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I datalogged the car last night and the MAF counts are about three times what they should be. Everything else seemed to look good. Just the MAF counts were way, way off. I'll e-mail Monty over there today the file. He said he could fix it and send another tune back to me via e-mail today. Pretty sweet. Then, and everyone pay close attention here, "I'LL TAKE IT TO THE DYNO AND GET A DYNO TUNE." I was almost at the point of trading for an SRT-4. Just kidding. Seriously, just kidding.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Travis,
there really aren't any more suggestions. We're shoting blind because we don't know what any of the sensor inputs look like nor how accurate the tune is. Other than a MAF problem, what else is left? The tune; and that can't be fixed without software to do it.

No sense in getting aggravated about it.

I used the term aggrivated loosely, maybe I should have put it a different way. :D

I would like to know what he figures out (as we all would)! I am with you on the tune thing, the MAF is the only other thing that I could think of to cause that problem. To me it seems they either got the scalers wrong for the MAF specs or got them wrong for the Injectors.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
I datalogged the car last night and the MAF counts are about three times what they should be. Everything else seemed to look good. Just the MAF counts were way, way off. I'll e-mail Monty over there today the file. He said he could fix it and send another tune back to me via e-mail today. Pretty sweet. Then, and everyone pay close attention here, "I'LL TAKE IT TO THE DYNO AND GET A DYNO TUNE." I was almost at the point of trading for an SRT-4. Just kidding. Seriously, just kidding.

good to hear, glad you had access to a data logging utility, most people dont have that.
Keep us posted

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I might need to get a pic if you need but I will try and give a good visual...

-the blower outlet aims at a downward angle towards the drivers foglight.
-about 6 inches on the downward side of the blower outlet in the tube is a bung that the ribbed hose will slide over.
-if you follow that hose doen to the drivers foglight it loops around and goes into the intercooler and accross the front
-passenger side, exiting the intercooler behind the pass. foglight and turns upwards inside the finder towards the stock filter location.
-inside the fender it connects to my maf (make sure your MAF isnt backwards!!!!!)
-output tube from MAF bends at a 90* to come out exactly where the stock filter was, this tube bends again upwards to the throttlebody
-small TB inlet that connects the boost pipe to the oval TB.

BOV piping.....
-output of blower piping at bung connect your wrinkle pipe(black/red stripe probably)
-bend wrinkle pipe towards pass. side under blower headunit and upwards beside the blower (close to the factory air box location)
-connect BOV to end of wrinkle hose
-connect short rubber "L" hose to other end of BOV and into the bung on the plastic intake piping for the blower (one side connect to blower other has filter on it)

if this isnt detailed enough let me know and I can get some pics for you

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I called the guy I ordered the Procharger kit from and he says the whole bypass valve argument is pure dogshit. He said he bolted the same kit to his 99 Cobra and drove it like a scalded ape. Since my MAF counts were so damn high I thought I'd change back to the 99 Lightning MAF with the new XCal2 program and try that combo. The SCT site makes it look like changing the MAFs in their Extreme Tune program is just a mouse click, but it's not and I'm waiting patiently....

See, my bypass valve comes out below the blower in the same spot, but loops back to the plastic intake tube before the blower. I don't know who the hell to believe anymore. But everyone has agreed on one thing - even a dyno tune won't be able to tune around the MAF problems I'm having.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
See, my bypass valve comes out below the blower in the same spot, but loops back to the plastic intake tube before the blower. I don't know who the hell to believe anymore. But everyone has agreed on one thing - even a dyno tune won't be able to tune around the MAF problems I'm having.

so what is the bypass valve argument??

You pretty much have it looped exactly how I posted right?
Thats how it is supposed to be from procharger, mine on the other hand vents into the atmoshpere, I blocked off the hole in the intake and put a small filter on my BOV output end.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Venomous,

My bypass setup is a shorter loop than yours. It's only about three feet long. From below the blower straight towards the passenger valve cover and 90 degree towards the front of the car and onto the plastic intake tube.

I put the Lightning MAF on and it measures the same counts as the SCT MAF. The end result was still a barely running car puffing gas out the tailpipe.

And SCT wrote back and said MAF and some other parameters that are advertised as user adjustable actually aren't.

The bypass valve argument that I've been hearing deals with the location of the bypass valve. Monty at JMS says it should be after the intercooler and the guys at superchargers4less (where I bought the kit) say it's not a factor. I don't know who to believe anymore but I'm getting ready to lose my top. Based on the MAF readings I datalogged, the guys at JMS say that even a custom tune won't be able to tune around it, and that it's a physical problem with the bypass valve location. Everyone else says, "Just go and get a custom tune and don't worry about it." I don't want to drag this car to a tuner only for him to say, "I can't tune around your problem - it's something else." When yours was installed, you could at least drive it right out of the box, right?

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
There are some other things the website advertises that aren't adjustable, either. if you want to know a specific just ask...

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
Venomous,

My bypass setup is a shorter loop than yours. It's only about three feet long. From below the blower straight towards the passenger valve cover and 90 degree towards the front of the car and onto the plastic intake tube.
maybe my story was mnisleading but your setup is like mine, mine is no morew then 3 feet all together.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Yeah, that sounds just like mine. Now JMS is saying it's probably turbulent airflow past the MAF. I'm going to try rotating it around everywhich way again and if it doesn't work the kit is going back.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I ghetto rigged a little experiment last night. I moved the MAF up into the engine bay using some big flexible hose and 4" piece of aluminum tubing. The plan was to test the turbulence idea from JMS. It ran like a bat out of hell after it was warm. There wasn't a single problem. Pretty cool. Now I just gotta change my setup around for a permanent fix.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
So is it still set up as blow through? Post some pics of how you rigged it? I will be doing a procharger install soon and might need a refferance(sp) if I run into the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread