Steigemeier Stage V Torque Plate Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I could give out all of my information that I have learned throughout the years with my hard work and R&D combined, I will not give out my trade secrets and to be honest the 2 or 3 of you that are so concerned have no reason to be.
I feel as though it is a lose lose situation for me.
Sorry that some of you disagree and I am not trying to be disrespectful to any of you.
We are taking care of our customers that is the bottom line. (which is much more than most speed shops will do).
I have been welding for well over 20 years.
Thank you
Stiegemeier
636-949-2275
StiegeSplash

Then patent your ideas.

Anyone can tear their blower apart and determine EXACTLY what was done.

In this case, you're making claims that the problem is corrected.

People would like to know
1) why it occurred
2) what you've done to correct it and ensure it doesn't happen again.

You don't have to divulge any test data as far as why this plate works.

Your answer is 'trust me'; problem is people are having a hard time trusting this answer because of input from a number of experts and the fact that (what is assumed to be) a highly test part failed.

You have a PR problem on your hands and you are losing business because of it.

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
I have to agree with Dwight. This is an important thread IMO and judging by the number of reads it is a thread of high interest to current and future blower porting customers. I think Bob's comments would not only be appropriate, but very helpful to all. And the information here should also be very helpful to Bob. Good stuff JMO.

I, for one, would like to thank Bill and others experienced with welding for taking the time to try to help. You could have just walked on by this thread and not gotten involved. But you care about the folks here and chose to pass along your expert advise for the SVTP members and for Bob S. I think that you deserve a sincere "thanks" for that. :beer:

Thanks a bunch Cobraob.:beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
OMG... wow....:shrug: Im not sure bob understands what people are asking. We arent looking for the holy grail! We as consumers are trying to understand why and how it happend and to be assured that we as consumers dont send a blower in for work, only to have it fail again. I guess people just want to get your thoughts as to why these experienced welders are incorrect with their opinions. Clearly I dont think anyone is looking to steal your porting secrets. And no offense but I dont think its up to you to decide who should be concerned or not. Any pre, post, and future customers have every reason to be.

Then patent your ideas.

Anyone can tear their blower apart and determine EXACTLY what was done.

In this case, you're making claims that the problem is corrected.

People would like to know
1) why it occurred
2) what you've done to correct it and ensure it doesn't happen again.

You don't have to divulge any test data as far as why this plate works.

Your answer is 'trust me'; problem is people are having a hard time trusting this answer because of input from a number of experts and the fact that (what is assumed to be) a highly test part failed.

You have a PR problem on your hands and you are losing business because of it.

Both of these posts sum up the situation very well! Bob, nobody is asking you to divulge your trade secrets regarding airflow. We only want you to work with us on understanding why you feel that the other welders are wrong, and what you are now doing is in fact a permanent solution. Personally speaking, I do not want to tear my blower off, ship it to you for repair, put it all back together again, only to have this happen again next year. If you are sure that you do in fact have this down, then please post your reasons. I would like to have my plate fixed correctly (and permanently), so if there is any thought that this is not going to work, I would rather just remove it, than take the risk. I think from following these threads, that is how most feel.

Brian

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
the "pro" welder guy that joined out of nowhere to "help" with this issue is banned already?

that sucks. =/

He wouldn't follow simple rules even after he was politely asked to.:shrug:
He had a crappy attitude in PMs, emails and a post that was removed in this thread.

We have very simple rules here. 98% have no problem following them.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
haha people and thier nasty PMs.

shame, shame.

edit: to keep my post on track...i do think it would be interesting to hear/read exactly how or what the "pro" welder was wrong about?

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Just realized my post had a typo that can change the meaning. It should read:

Your answer is 'trust me'; problem is people are having a hard time trusting this answer because of input from a number of experts and the fact that (what is assumed to be) a highly [/b]tested part failed.

Didn't mean to imply it was a TEST part, but a TESTED part.

spincobra03

Established Member

Yeah ive been saying the same thing for days now. Im not sure why this is being glossed over. Im not trying to be controversial, I just think bob can help everyone by explaining. Im not looking for him to disclose anything that will hurt his business but help the consumer understand why his product will work this time around. I thought this was a forum to help eachother learn about our cars and modding.

bubblehead93

Established Member
As much as I am curious as an engineer and a enthusiast as to the details of how,what and why, I also respect steg's decision not to delve in to the details on this or any other forum. I just recently purchased one of the new design stage V ports and installed it as part of my winter project. My bottom line is that steg has stated zero failures on the new deisign (time will tell of course) and he has pledged to take care of his customers. I think almost all would agree that steg has excellent reputation for customer service. I highly recommend if you are considering a ported blower, yes read the forums - but please give steg a call, have a conversation, ask your questions, tell him your concerns - hear what he has to say, then decide.

If I was to make the decision again, I still would have bought the stage V port.

Winter project in progress....

DSC02260.JPG

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I could give out all of my information that I have learned throughout the years with my hard work and R&D combined, I will not give out my trade secrets and to be honest the 2 or 3 of you that are so concerned have no reason to be.
I feel as though it is a lose lose situation for me.
Sorry that some of you disagree and I am not trying to be disrespectful to any of you.
We are taking care of our customers that is the bottom line. (which is much more than most speed shops will do).
I have been welding for well over 20 years.
Thank you
Stiegemeier
636-949-2275
StiegeSplash

You have no trade secrets. Porting a supercharger is not rocket science. Plenty of people have performed the same work you do in their own garage with little more than a Dremel and come up with the same results. You have the soapbox on this site, and you have what is probably your biggest audience gathered in one place. If this isn't the place to put to rest inaccuracies, then I don't know what is.

Welding experience for 20 years huh? Is that experience what led you to make the decision to use unknown scrap aluminum held to the bottom of a blower by a few tack welds as the world-renowned "Torque Plate" that has been proven to essentially, do nothing?

You have a lot of customers/potential customers/enthusiasts that want answers, yet like always, you provide nothing. Color me surprised. :bored:

bubblehead93

Established Member
You have no trade secrets. Porting a supercharger is not rocket science. Plenty of people have performed the same work you do in their own garage with little more than a Dremel and come up with the same results. You have the soapbox on this site, and you have what is probably your biggest audience gathered in one place. If this isn't the place to put to rest inaccuracies, then I don't know what is.

Welding experience for 20 years huh? Is that experience what led you to make the decision to use unknown scrap aluminum held to the bottom of a blower by a few tack welds as the world-renowned "Torque Plate" that has been proven to essentially, do nothing?

You have a lot of customers/potential customers/enthusiasts that want answers, yet like always, you provide nothing. Color me surprised. :bored:

SVT God or not, I think the tone of this is over the top - perhaps the reason why a vendor might choose not to try and have this conversation is that some fraction of the audience will refuse to be civil. I'm really not sure how this post adds value to the thread...

If you really want answers, pick up a phone and call, recommend you be polite though...

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
SVT God or not, I think the tone of this is over the top - perhaps the reason why a vendor might choose not to try and have this conversation is that some fraction of the audience will refuse to be civil. I'm really not sure how this post adds value to the thread...

If you really want answers, pick up a phone and call, recommend you be polite though...

I agree.

JMD0346

Established Member

With all due respect. You have'nt been here long enough to know what youre talking about. There's alot more to this than the last couple months or that you could possibly know. In other words you arent able to take this at face value. It runs much deeper than that. Again Im not being a smartass. Just man to man telling you how it is. If you'd like further explanation please feel free to PM me. Im always glad to chat with one of my SVTP brothers.:beer:

bubblehead93

Established Member
With all due respect. You have'nt been here long enough to know what youre talking about. There's alot more to this than the last couple months or that you could possibly know. In other words you arent able to take this at face value. It runs much deeper than that. Again Im not being a smartass. Just man to man telling you how it is. If you'd like further explanation please feel free to PM me. Im always glad to chat with one of my SVTP brothers.:beer:

why is it when someone is not going to respect you they lead off with "all due respect."

I've been following this forum and others off and on a couple years - finally decided I wanted to be able to post and so joined. Somehow the longer you've been a member and the more posts you have the more correct or valid your opinions - gotcha - but don't give me this man to man stuff - face value??? brother??? - if it is personal between you and steg, your right I don't want to know and I think it makes your post all the more inappropriate.

I dispair at your incivility and find yours and others posts a great case study in why I think steg's approach is appropriate with regards to posting in this forum on this issue - anyone who has real questions and concerns, recommend you call steg - if you don't like the answers then go to posi or port your own.

spincobra03

Established Member
Every person that is interested in getting their blower ported shouldnt have to call stegi personally to ask every question and do the research on how the new design will work. Going into some detail would not only be the right thing to do, it would help educate svtp members and give them reassurance that the new welds will work. To me, pulling my blower off, sending it to MO, having all that down time then getting it back on is a big process. I wouldnt mind doing that once.....more than once, not so much. (weather its free the second time or not)

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
IMO I think Everyone who has ever purchased or considered a Steig ported blower should be concerned. I also think that if Bob would prefer to deal with all these people individually then we ALL should call. It would take months of full time phone conversations. This is the beauty of the internet. It allows communication from one to many, and instantly! Too bad it is not being used properly by Steigmier and his business is certainly suffering because of it.

I am a Lightning owner. I read all the sites religiously. I used to respect Bob's business model and produvt line. Also the info that was brought to our boards. Recently I find no answewrs and only advertisements. Advertisements instead of posting useful info that was asked for. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that there is a lot of knowledge on these sites. That is certainly the truth, and our brotherhood forces us to educate those who are being taken advantage of.

Hope all who have this torque plate get it removed. Hope all considering port work research all the options before deciding.

Jim

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
Just curious but what answer was given to those that sent theres in wouldnt fail again? I have a full time race team myself and my main welder says you just cant weld cast to billet due to expansion rates and the harmonics of the blower.

JMD0346

Established Member
why is it when someone is not going to respect you they lead off with "all due respect."

I've been following this forum and others off and on a couple years - finally decided I wanted to be able to post and so joined. Somehow the longer you've been a member and the more posts you have the more correct or valid your opinions - gotcha - but don't give me this man to man stuff - face value??? brother??? - if it is personal between you and steg, your right I don't want to know and I think it makes your post all the more inappropriate.

I dispair at your incivility and find yours and others posts a great case study in why I think steg's approach is appropriate with regards to posting in this forum on this issue - anyone who has real questions and concerns, recommend you call steg - if you don't like the answers then go to posi or port your own.

Thanks for sharing. You appaently dont even know what this thread is about. Its not about your incorrect opinion. Maybe you should just bow out of this one brother. For what its worth I had a Steig blower before you knew wht it was.

Lighten up a bit how about it. Im not your enemy. If I hurt your feelings I apologize.

Last edited:

bubblehead93

Established Member
what this thread is about has evolved over time... the last couple pages seems to be more about why it is in stegs interest to discuss how his new design for the stage V addresses the weld cracking issue. I had made a poor attempt to provide a contrary opinion on why stegs approach on this forum makes some sense. I want to try and clarify...

first, the internet does allow one to talk to many, but it is not a level playing field. With some exceptions everyone operates with anonymity, EXCEPT the vendors - steg is just that, steg. there are no requirements (knowledge, expertise, experience) to post and the opinions, including mine, are like __________ (you know the saying). Also, this is one of many forums that cover modular motors to include 03-04 cobras (it is my favorite one though, shameless plug).

second, from a metalurgy perspective, the welding of these two dissimilar metals is not ideal and is prone to cracking - no argument here. though reasonable folks can disagree as to the utility of the "torque plate," it is part of the stage V design and steg posts the results, the design seems to prduce some results. I think reasonable folks can also disagree if this part of the design, the plate, is "doomed" to failure due to its application.

I think (again my opinion) that from a small business perspective this is a catch 22 for steg. because of the metalurgy issues, steg's answer will have to come down to "yes such welds are prone to cracking, we use a thicker plate and weld the plate differently now (perhaps some other things as well, no subsequent failures have occured, we think the design is sufficent for the application." There is no miracle that steg can perform here that fixes the metalurgy involved, it comes down to is his design sufficient for the application involved, which really can only be empirically determined (run it till it breaks) and results in a simple statement - no subsequent failures have occured on the new design, not very satisfying for folks hungry for technical details. on the flip side, everyone will have an opinion on such an answer, some informed, some not and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that (1st ammendment and all), but if I own a small business and I look at this and other forums with similar threads, I have to think about how much time (resources) I'm willing to spend hammering away on different forums trying to put my message out and what the return on that investment will be or if it will even make a difference. In that calculus I would have to be thinking about how many customers I might be loosing or gaining by investing that time, my efforts are dilluted through a forum because I am addressing potential customers as well as those with no intention of ever buying my product. now somebody calls me, with some specific questions, that person is much closer to being a customer in that they have jumped a higher hurdle (a phone call with a name and phone number during normal business hours verus an anonymous post at any time of day), I will answer his questions and concerns, discuss his power goals, and recommend a solution.

so to me a reasonable strategy would be to take stegs approach - the problem is solved and I'll take care of you if you if you have any problems, my record for customer service speaks for itself.

apologize for the long post. in general a vendor can do very well here to explain an issue, but in this specific case because of the underlying technical issues and the solution, I think steg's tack is not wrong, and is sufficient for me. if after all of this thread and others, you are still deciding on a ported blower, just call and talk to steg, posi, or others before you decide. this forum and others are just one tool, not the only one, in making this decision.

utlimately time will tell. will the new design ultimately experience some failures - perhaps. for me, steg says he has fixed the problem and if for some reason it does fail then he has told me he will stand behind his product. I combine that with his customer service reputation and I was sold. others may not be so convinced...

still think that many folks make inappropriate remarks or on the one hand say "hey, nothing personal," "don't mean to insult" but then do just that and then apologize afterwards. nothing prevents you from doing so, nothing prevents me from calling you out on it.

:xpl:

now i feel better - lol

i'm out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread