Votes: 44 34.1%
  • PRO 5.0

Votes: 63 48.8%
  • OTHER

Votes: 22 17.1%

• Total voters

O4COBRA

Established Member
Just wondering which one to go with and why? Any thoughts!!
Also, stupid me, I guess I didn't check my speeling before hitting ok, sorry about the "TRE-AX", I'm an idiot!! Oh well!

Last edited:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
They're both good shifters. I've had both in previous cars. The Pro50 seems like a more solid unit, but the handle sucks. The Tri-Ax has a handle that angles back so it is easier to reach. In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to get a Pro50 shifter and put the Tri-Ax handle on it. Several people on the forum have done this. Had a Pro50 in my '03 and it was too far to reach (and I'm 6'1").

D-Cobra

Established Member
i have used the tri-ax on my past 2 cars, and it's great. steeda advertises that their shifter has the shortest shifting distance.

my friend had a pro 5.0 on his car, and he ended up switching it out for a tri-ax. so i'd recommend the steeda.

O4COBRA

Established Member
Can I use the stock shift knob, handle, with these units, I love the feel of the stock one!!

Juiced-03

Established Member
I've heard many stories of people who have had the Tri-ax actually switch over to a Pro 5.0. I have heard of missing shifts with the Steeda but never with the Pro 5.0. I felt my buddy's Pro last night and OMG what a difference. I am so jealous right now. I feel ashamed of sticking with the stock unit for almost 2 years now!!! Damn the Pro 5.0 will be my next mod. It felt crisp and positive. It even felt much better than my Steeda in my 01 Cobra. Mustang X has the best price on them!

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Yeah I'm looking at the same two right now. For some reason it takes a ton of effort to shift into 2nd and 3rd. I basically have to shift like I'm power shifting every time, just so I don't grind gears, which still happens. I busted open my knuckle on the dash yesterday while downshifting, so I think its time to get those stops in so I don't overshift.

Buddy

Established Member
Originally posted by jguerrero
pro5.0 with MGW shifter handle, brings it very close to you with very short shifts.

After considerable research, I am doing the same. Already have the MGW handle and will order the 5.0 shifter this week. The 5.0 is built out of steel vs. aluminum for the triax. The 5.0 is quieter and more "solid" feeling according to many users. With the MGW handle, it is a great combination and makes you wonder why you kept the stock unit...convinced me!!
Do a search on shifters and you will understand. Good luck!

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The age old shifter question resurfaces.....It seems that the consensus from all the threads written on this is that.........(drum roll please).....they're both really high quality shifters: can't go wrong either way.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Anyone see the article in a 5.0 magazine saying they used a gasket of some type instead of the RTV when they installed the shifter? The article said it was as quiet as stock. Anyone try this?

TRBO VNM

based on everything I have read I am going with the Pro 5.0 and the MGW handle. I have the handle now with my stock shifter and it makes a huge difference in it already.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
I've heard many stories of people who have had the Tri-ax actually switch over to a Pro 5.0. I have heard of missing shifts with the Steeda but never with the Pro 5.0. I felt my buddy's Pro last night and OMG what a difference. I am so jealous right now. I feel ashamed of sticking with the stock unit for almost 2 years now!!! Damn the Pro 5.0 will be my next mod. It felt crisp and positive. It even felt much better than my Steeda in my 01 Cobra. Mustang X has the best price on them!
I have a Tri-Ax and I don't see what the big fuss is about aftermarket shifters. I actually considered going back to stock but was told that an aftermarket shifter is better for the tranny.

Call me crazy, but I don't care to much for my Tri-Ax.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Oh, I forgot to vote & say why.

I voted Pro 5.0 because of all the positive things I've read on this & other boards. Think I'll add the MGW handle if I don't like the 5.0 one.

On the other hand I had a steeda tri-ax in my '01 & it was a vast improvement over stock. No problems with it at all, other than the little extra noise.

I just figured I'd try the 5.0 so I could compare & like most other's say, you can't go wrong either way.

IronTerp:
Did you make your own gasket? Cut it out freehand or something?

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
The age old shifter question resurfaces.....It seems that the consensus from all the threads written on this is that.........(drum roll please).....they're both really high quality shifters: can't go wrong either way.
DITO

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have used the Tri-Ax in both of my cars, and I am extremely happy with them. I did use the a paper gasket in the Cobra, and it did take some of the noise out, but I also put some sound deadner above the lower factory boot, so noise is minimal.

I like the Tri better due to the handle and it seems smoother to me. Also, I have never missed a shift, but you have to have faith that the shifter will do its job, and not put any english on it, otherwise you will.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by jguerrero
pro5.0 with MGW shifter handle, brings it very close to you with very short shifts.

Go with the pro 5.0 you won't be sorry. I tried both pro and tri-ax and ended up selling the tri-ax. I just dislike the way the tri felt and overall was unhappy with it. And the MGW handle is great.

Users who are viewing this thread