Steeda or Bama

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
So I've ran across a few older forums on the topic of what would be the better Tune
A Bama Tune Or Steeda?
Well my question is somewhat similar
What Tuner would be better for a Auto 5.0? Better I mean Faster and more aggressive?
I have MBRP Full Catback, Afe Power CAI and I will be ordering Upr Off-road X-Pipe?
Which route should I go?
I know all about Saun at AED, VMP and Lund Tunes
I'm looking for a Aggressive tuner just to by pass time until I finish modding then I will convert to most likely a AED tune

kdaly

Established Member
So I've ran across a few older forums on the topic of what would be the better Tune
A Bama Tune Or Steeda?
Well my question is somewhat similar
What Tuner would be better for a Auto 5.0? Better I mean Faster and more aggressive?
I have MBRP Full Catback, Afe Power CAI and I will be ordering Upr Off-road X-Pipe?
Which route should I go?
I know all about Saun at AED, VMP and Lund Tunes
I'm looking for a Aggressive tuner just to by pass time until I finish modding then I will convert to most likely a AED tune

Steeda out of the two you mentioned. Why not just go AED, VMP, or Lund now? All can be done remotely. I wouldnt pay two different tuners. Waste of money IMHO

RR5.0

Established Member
Steeda tunes will perform better than Bama inmy experience. However a Lund tune will cost a few dollars more and he will datalog and adjust your tune for any future mods.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I don't wanna have to pay for a revision because I'm not done modding
If I get a AED he will charge me for every modd once I get them
I rather just get the free Tunes until I'm done modding

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
if you're in South Louisiana check out Bergeron Performance in Houma. Mitch knows his stuff

GBCoyote

Established Member
Lund does revisions for free. It's a no-brainer, really. I recently had my Paxton kit tuned with Lund and had a great experience. Not to mention that was a great experience after I asked ten million questions trouble shooting my install problems I had to work out, knowing I was a pain in the ass to deal with. +1 for customer service.

wile e coyote

Established Member
I installed a boss intake, JLT CAI, long tubes and off road X last year. I knew I needed a tune just to be able to drive the car, so I ordered the SCT tuner from AM and got the free BAMA tunes with it...........I was pretty happy with the tune. It ran good and made decent butt dyno numbers. My only complaint was a periodic phantom stall out of nowhere. However I knew all along that this was a Band-Aid tune until I could get the car properly dyno tuned by a respected shop. I like the peace of mind that my car was live tuned on a dyno and that the tuner can see everything happening and can abort the run if something goes awry. This also gives them the opportunity to keep the car for a couple days to monitor everything during cold starts, traffic driving etc.

Last week I brought the car to Powercurve Motorsports and had it tuned. Honestly their only concern with the BAMA tune was some very aggressive timing up top in the RPM range. The baseline run on the BAMA tune netted 406/351 at the tires. After the shop installed their tune it did 424/363 with 2* less timing and all the stalling issues have been corrected.

Ive never used AED or Lund, but they are both very respected names in the industry for sure.

Shaun@AED

Some companies do free unlimited tune updates IF you purchase the parts from them. Since we do not sell parts, Below is a list of free vs updates we charge for as of Jan 2012:

Mods that do not require any tune updates:
Aluminum Drive shaft
Electric Water pump
Ported intake manifold
Over the axle pipes
Axle back

FREE tune updates:

Rear end gears (customers can also change in options menu)
T56 or T6060 swap from MT82
Converter
Mid pipe
Cat deletes
Headers
BOSS IM
BBK or Accufab Throttle Body (85MM / 84.5MM only)

Updates we charge for:

Super Cobra Jet Manifold/TB/CAI
Cams
Nitrous
E85
Supercharger/Turbo
MT82 to 6R80 Swap
Changing the CAI to another brand. (For instance swapping a JLT CAI to an Airaid unit)
There is a $50 fee to swap CAI's. (Too many have tried to *test* CAI's to see which is the best so this fee was imposed to discourage this. We at AED have already done the CAI tests and posted the results, as have other companies.)

The basis for the free vs charged updates is actually quite simple. It comes down to those mods that require a simple update without data logs vs those that require an update + new data logs + further updates in order to properly dial in the tune for the new modifications.

I hope this clears things up.

Journeyman27185

Established Member
Don't waste your time and money. Go with a good tuner from the get go. I have a Bama tune and wish I went with a better tuner from the start. Not to knock them, it's just my experience.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
Some companies do free unlimited tune updates IF you purchase the parts from them. Since we do not sell parts, Below is a list of free vs updates we charge for as of Jan 2012:

Mods that do not require any tune updates:
Aluminum Drive shaft
Electric Water pump
Ported intake manifold
Over the axle pipes
Axle back

FREE tune updates:

Rear end gears (customers can also change in options menu)
T56 or T6060 swap from MT82
Converter
Mid pipe
Cat deletes
Headers
BOSS IM
BBK or Accufab Throttle Body (85MM / 84.5MM only)

Updates we charge for:

Super Cobra Jet Manifold/TB/CAI
Cams
Nitrous
E85
Supercharger/Turbo
MT82 to 6R80 Swap
Changing the CAI to another brand. (For instance swapping a JLT CAI to an Airaid unit)
There is a $50 fee to swap CAI's. (Too many have tried to *test* CAI's to see which is the best so this fee was imposed to discourage this. We at AED have already done the CAI tests and posted the results, as have other companies.)

The basis for the free vs charged updates is actually quite simple. It comes down to those mods that require a simple update without data logs vs those that require an update + new data logs + further updates in order to properly dial in the tune for the new modifications.

u cant ask for anything better than that !

daustin

Established Member
I ran a Bama tune in my 2012 GT and I kept that tune for about six, yes 06 miles. The transmission would shift, then downshift again, then upshift again and on and on when driving aggressively. This was on their V1 tune; can't comment on the V2 tune. I ran a Steeda tune/CAI on my car for about 4,000 miles and had no issues and was happy with the power. This tune was by Gus right before he left. Datalogs all looked good.

Fast forward to March '14, I sold the '12 Auto for a '14 6m 3.73. Ran a non-gus Steeda tune/Steeda CAI but wanted to go AED. When I datalogged, Shaun said there was far too much knock activity for him to tune. Sent the same log to Steeda and they said all was well. Long story short, I went back to the stock tune and I had zero knock activity and Shaun sent me a base file. Sent the logs back to him and he sent the final tune. All was well and their was no comparison between the two. AED was awesome.

I would just go straight to AED. As a matter of fact, I've been emailing back and forth with him today and had a response within ten minutes every time. On top of everything else he was doing, he took the time to answer my questions.

If you're deadest on one of the two you mentioned, go Steeda. But like I said, never tried the V2 tunes and people generally seem to like them.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member

This professionalism and customer service is exactly why I switched to Shaun and AED. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member

I tried searching google and forums for CAI tests and comparisons with no luck, maybe I'm going about it wrong. Could you point me in the right direction? I'm happy with my Airaid CAI but it'd be interesting to see numbers from a reputable source like AED.

clc44

Established Member
Shaun seems like a great guy to go with. I have a vmp but it was cheap with a discount on their tuner. I'm going aed with the next round of mods.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Shaun seems like a great guy to go with. I have a vmp but it was cheap with a discount on their tuner. I'm going aed with the next round of mods.

I remember reading that you are looking into the CJ setup? Shaun should be the only tuner that will do a lopey idle tune with the CJ, and my car drives like a hot knife through butter with it on. My car surged all day long with my last tuner.

clc44

Established Member
Do you have a sound clip? Bet that sounds sexy!!! Does the car shake? My 04 Gto rocked hard lol.

Thanks! Shaun is the only guy in going with once I get the long tubes and CJ installed.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Do you have a sound clip? Bet that sounds sexy!!! Does the car shake? My 04 Gto rocked hard lol.

Thanks! Shaun is the only guy in going with once I get the long tubes and CJ installed.

I set off a car alarm in my work parking lot today when I revved the car to 4k in neutral. I have the Ford Racing Sports which are chambered, plus a lethal performance O/R. I don't want to add long tubes just because I am so satisfied with the way my car sounds as it is right now. It's freaking fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread