Start up problem

THogg

Established Member
Hey guys I'm new here (as you can see). I just picked up an 04 Cobra about two weeks ago. All I know about the fuel systems is that it has a KB BP and 60# inj.The last owner told me he had to turn the key on then off 4-5 times before the car would start (if it had set for a day or so). Now if it had been running within the last few hours it will crank just fine.
I'm sure it's to prime the fuel system, but why? Did they remove a check valve or something from the tank making the fuel in the lines and rails return to the tank? How can I fix this?

Thanks

04CobraMatt

Established Member
sounds like he removed the PPRV from the gas tank, which is a good thing

Having to cycle the key on does not make sense... My car has the PPRV removed and after sitting for 4months is started like normal on the 1st try.

If you notice longer cranking, try this. When you go to start, turn the key to the on position for about 2-3sec (usualy the third or fourth "ding" and hit the starter.

When the key goes to the on position, the pumps will turn on for about 2-3sec. Just enough to build pressure in the lines.. without the PPRV this pressure falls quickly so if you leave the key in the on position for too long, it will take longer to crank.

THogg

Established Member
It has an HP twin turbo kit w/ 57s and has a SCT hand held tuner. But I don't think it's in the tune b/c the car will start fine if it was running within the last 8-10 hours or so. Also it seem to start better w/ a full tank of gas.

I can hear the pumps run for 2-3 sec when I turn the key on. Another thing I notice was my fuel presure gauge reading 20-25 psi when I first turn the key on, but it still takes 4-5 cycles before it will start. So it seems there is presure in the rails but not in lines.? Is that possible?

Juruense

Banned
Yeah its the PPRV delete. The PPRV will cause lagging during power shifting but deleting it makes the fuel system lose pressure when the car is off so you have to give the system time to pressurize.

Turning the key on and off will just wear out the ignition switch. Instead put it in the run position for a few seconds and then start.

THogg

Established Member
Yeah its the PPRV delete. The PPRV will cause lagging during power shifting but deleting it makes the fuel system lose pressure when the car is off so you have to give the system time to pressurize.

Turning the key on and off will just wear out the ignition switch. Instead put it in the run position for a few seconds and then start.

But it seems to be just my car. Everyone else that has the PPRV deleted doesn't have to cycle the fuel pumps before the car will start. I could understand if I only had to cycle it one maybe two times after sitting for 3-4 months but 4-5 times after only a day doesn't seem right.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That is better advice. ;-)

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
My car has trouble immediately starting as well, but I don't have the PPRV delete - Battery and Alt. check out, too. I just put the key in the RUN position to help coach the process. I figured it was a quirk of the returnless system. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread