Star Wars Rogue One

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Exceeded my expectations for sure. They almost could have made this story two movies and there would have been enough material. Only real downside for me was the french guy playing the male lead, didn't like him or his acting. The end scene was amazing, but it seemed like the physical person playing Vader wasn't as tall\broad shouldered as the original actor. I also agree the right play would have been to not have the close up of Leia, at least not the way they did it, it looked terrible. Like someone dressed up as her for Halloween. Score also wasn't up to typical Star Wars standard IMO.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I would have just assumed they never had her turn around, or maybe just a rear 3/4 view.

that's what i was expecting. was kind of in shock when she turned around lol.

agreed, K2SO or whatever was a great addition.

the whole movie had me wondering if Cassian was going to be a double agent because he was kind of shady and was willing to kill non-enemies. but then later he says they've all (spies/intelligence) have done things theyre not proud of in furtherance of the rebellion.

i actually expected, and hoped, forest whitaker was going to have a larger role.

i actually found it interesting and applaud it that all the heroes in the movie died/sacrificed themselves. that was a big change for SW in which the heroes typically survive to fight on (except one or two here and there). but the whole team wiped out in one movie? i think that was well done. one small spin off story of a small rag tag team that did their part and that's it. leave it alone. no rogue two lol

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Only real downside for me was the french guy playing the male lead, didn't like him or his acting.
Hey man! Thats my people! He’s latino LOL I thought he did pretty good especially for something he’s never done before.

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
I' saw the movie on Sunday and thought it was great! I can't wait to see it again and definitely liked it better than Episode 7. The musical score wasn't as good but I really enjoyed the movie. What I liked about it, was that it was from the perspective of your "average" person and not some force wielder (such as a Jedi or Sith). We see how powerful these individuals are in the other movies and take their power/abilities for granted, but from the eyes of average person, you really see how terrifying it would be to face them in combat with blasters.

Also as someone else mentioned in this thread, it showed that both sides had flaws. That the good guys weren't necessarily good all the time and that war is fought in shades of grey, not in black and white.

blk02edge

Established Member
at about half way there was mention of finding a jedi and I missed what he said thanks to a group of stupid kids..

the senator said something about going to find them and he trusted him with his life, almost like he said "Tano" or did I hear that wrong and he said kenobi?

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
at about half way there was mention of finding a jedi and I missed what he said thanks to a group of stupid kids..

the senator said something about going to find them and he trusted him with his life, almost like he said "Tano" or did I hear that wrong and he said kenobi?

Are you talking about the scene where Jimmy Smits is talking about finding him? I partially missed that part as well, but I believe it was about Kenobi.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

Are you talking about the scene where Jimmy Smits is talking about finding him? I partially missed that part as well, but I believe it was about Kenobi.

Yea thats it.

They were definitely talking about Obi-Wan, and sending Leia to get him.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
LOL, he is. What the hell was with his accent then. Definitely didn't sound like a latino accent to me.
He did to us lol He sounded like he learned english in his teens or so. Believe it or not though, there are people that even have an accent even if they learned english as kids.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Watched it last night. It was good.

Vader's costume looked really cheap, but it matched his look in Ep. 4 well.

thats the funny thing. we all remember the original SW movies being pure perfection but they are far from it. i watched EP5 and 6 the other night on tv and i was just kind of laughing at how bad some of the costumes and effects were. many of the characters looked like they were right out of the muppet show. we all thought the models were much better (ships) but watching on a high def tv, they look like toys lol.

they also maintained the very basic looking computer screens/controls from Ep4. with big lit up squares and toggle switches.

the acting in the originals was nothing great. luke was particularly bad.

also the originals, if you sit down and watch them, are very long and slow paced.

we have such high expectations for any new SW movie after the original trilogy but in reality the original trilogy wasnt perfect. most of us just remember it as such since most of us were kids then lol

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
thats the funny thing. we all remember the original SW movies being pure perfection but they are far from it. i watched EP5 and 6 the other night on tv and i was just kind of laughing at how bad some of the costumes and effects were.

The issue is High-Def.

Anyone under 40 saw these movies with VHS on 19" TVs growing up.

Now with ultra high def digital movies, its harder to hide the cheapness of certain costumes and effects.

I thought Vader looked like his costume was right out of a Halloween store.

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Another pet peeve was the usage of "The Force Be With You".

My understanding from the original movies was the Jedi had been killed off and the force was a lost mystical religion that everyone had forgotten about.

An Imperial Admiral even mocks Vader as a bygone relic with a superstitious religion.

Even in episode 7, Hans makes the comment about "it's real, all of it" to is astonished and shocked sidekicks.

So for everyone to be all "Force Be with you" and stuff seemed like pandering to the fan base and not something the common person in the Star Wars universe believed in.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That was my exact comment about the Vader costume. I'm pretty sure you can buy a better one on Amazon. However, it felt perfect leading into Ep.4. I like the balance they struck with old versus new styling.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Seeing it again tonight for the second time. Saw it opening night, loved the Easter eggs in the movie. Thought they could have done away with Leia but knew they had to put in for the non-fanatics. Can't wait to see it again. Thought it was a great story and Vader reminded me of Anakin in Revenge of the Sith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Another pet peeve was the usage of "The Force Be With You".

My understanding from the original movies was the Jedi had been killed off and the force was a lost mystical religion that everyone had forgotten about.

An Imperial Admiral even mocks Vader as a bygone relic with a superstitious religion.

Even in episode 7, Hans makes the comment about "it's real, all of it" to is astonished and shocked sidekicks.

So for everyone to be all "Force Be with you" and stuff seemed like pandering to the fan base and not something the common person in the Star Wars universe believed in.
From what I recall, only Chirrut was the one talking about the force and no one else. Baze kept mocking him about the force and only said it at the end when Chirrut was killed and what he said before dying.

Jyn Erso IMO said it as a homeage to Chirrut, noticed how he smiled and his expression after she said it.

I agree with the Darth Vader costume looking very cheap. His bottom piece of the helmet also sticked out and it kind of annoyed when he was moving. Its true what Sid said though, it fell in line with A New Hope, pretty much how his costume looked then. Seeing it now in the clean/clear picture in digital/HD just shows you how cheap it looks.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
"May the Force Be With You" was said over the rebel loud speakers a few times when they launched. I believe they also said it in a meeting.

The producers should have done something with the lighting, etc to make the suit look better. Mist/Fog, dark lighting, filters so forth.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
It's the rose tinted lens of youth.

its funny. my wife did not see the originals growing up, somehow... so she finally watched every movie, once, from EP1 to EP6. she said she liked the newer movies better and had better special effects lol. that's coming from a completely non-biased viewer. although i love the originals like any true 80s kid, especially Empire, but i do have to agree that the newer ones have better visuals after watching them back to back. im sure that's why Lucas preferred to use CGI over models. although the Awakens and Rogue seemed to use models pretty well. certainly better than the originals.

we just caught Jedi on last night. Jabbas palace scene when R2 and 3PO walk in. i said to my wife, this scene looks like its straight out of the Muppets. especially that thing sitting on Jabbas lap. she laughed and agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread