Stalling issue!!!! Please HELP.

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
OK I have and 03 SVT COBRA and it occasionally stalls out when I am coming to a stop or slowing down to make a tight turn. It doesn't do it all the time but it does it enough for it to be a pain in my ass. The car will start right back up and drive fine after it stalls. My cobra only has a cat-back Magnaflow exhaust and a K&N air filter, NOT a CAI, just a filter. It also only has 23,000 miles on it. I bought the car like this so I do not know if it was tuned and if the air to fuel ratio is off or anything like that. If anyone has had any issues like this or have heard of anything like this, please let me know of any resolutions, it would be GREATLY appreciated.I am open to any reasonable resolutions so please let me know. Thanks in advance guys.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Stall Issue, real common. As mentioned, most tuners will fix this when you get a tune for mods.
From CobraBob`s FAQ site.
17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel". SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER.
Direct link to the site.
Terminator FAQs

Sharkster

Established Member
Has the battery gone dead or been without a charge for a period of time? Ie... Stored for the winter etc. Have you checked output on your alternator?

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
You have "the Stall". If you have a tuner he needs to fix it!
If you don't have a tune then take it to ford and have them flash it for free.
If you go to ford and you have a chip. Remove the chip before the flash.
The Stall- your rpm gauge will drop below 300 when coming to a stop. Sometimes the car will struggle and go back to idle and sometimes it will die due to Rpm falling too low.

03yellow

Established Member
Bet you don't have a tune. Pop the side passenger foot kick panel and look for a chip. If not take the car to ford. Write down the Driveability post with date listed in the previous post. The flash needs to be done FREE.
Very unsafe coming off freeway to loose power steering. Don't be surprised if ford dosent know about the stall; you need to take a copy of the bulletin.
It's no biggie, very common, you car will run great.

Last edited:

camp upshur

Established Member
The 'Stall Issue' seems to be one of the lingering problems with some of these cars a search will show.

Ford claimed a reflash with the AMZ2 would cure it....maybe but we don't know. Nobody here has ever cured the problem and identified with specificity what the problem was and how it was successfully addressed.

Hopefully some of our tuner members who are more knowledgeable will chime in.

This is from the most recent thread:

"The Stall Issue for the Terminator remains unsolved. The AMZ2 ECU flash has not cured it in my car. One fellow posted some time back that his tuner cured the problem 'with lots of gas at idle' but never clarified. FWIW this is even after FPDM change/ KB FRPS change/ IAC change/ TPS adjust/ AMZ2 reflash/ dashpot adjust/even installing a clone tune from an identically modded Cobra from the same reputable tuner operating in the same atmosphere.

Both cars: Whipple/single blade/BAP/60s/CAI etc etc

Many threads have died out (so to speak) with the posters resignedly living with The Stall on a twin screw Cobra.

I am surprised that slowing the idle decel with the dashpot didn't cure The Stall. I suspect that the issure is with plotting the fuel schedule as the engine decelerates."

Romans8:28

Established Member
Make sure that the bolting ALL the bolting hardware for the air filter and intake tube is tight. Any lose connection that will air allow air to be sucked in will cause stalling when slowing down.

03yellow

Established Member
?
You don't here about it much anymore. The Ford flash does cure the stall.
Usually a tuner will forget to write the ford fix into the tune.They simply fixed the stall by not allowing the RPM dropong below 300.
The 'Stall Issue' seems to be one of the lingering problems with some of these cars a search will show.

Ford claimed a reflash with the AMZ2 would cure it....maybe but we don't know. Nobody here has ever cured the problem and identified with specificity what the problem was and how it was successfully addressed.

Hopefully some of our tuner members who are more knowledgeable will chime in.

This is from the most recent thread:

"The Stall Issue for the Terminator remains unsolved. The AMZ2 ECU flash has not cured it in my car. One fellow posted some time back that his tuner cured the problem 'with lots of gas at idle' but never clarified. FWIW this is even after FPDM change/ KB FRPS change/ IAC change/ TPS adjust/ AMZ2 reflash/ dashpot adjust/even installing a clone tune from an identically modded Cobra from the same reputable tuner operating in the same atmosphere.

Both cars: Whipple/single blade/BAP/60s/CAI etc etc

Many threads have died out (so to speak) with the posters resignedly living with The Stall on a twin screw Cobra.

I am surprised that slowing the idle decel with the dashpot didn't cure The Stall. I suspect that the issure is with plotting the fuel schedule as the engine decelerates."

Last edited:

camp upshur

Established Member
Oh if it were only that simple.

My car is tuned utilizing SCT. One of the first things I checked was that SCT builds off of the AMZ2 ECU flash. Setting minimum idle speed was irrelevant to addressing the stall unfortunately, as were dashpot adjustments and slowing the decell. Spending ALOT of time on the air/fuel as the engine decells I suspect is where best to continue.

The problem is still current as that quote I quoted was from a still unsolved thread here just this month: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...062-fpdm-replacement-cured-my-hesitation.html

Searching will show a number of members who have brought up the problem but none who have fixed it yet-having identified just what the problem was and just what the fix was.

I'm sure there is a fix it is just that nobody has brought it up yet.

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
Where can I get this bulletin so Ford will flash my ECU for free? I'm fairly certain I don't have a chip. The only mods I have are the one's I mentioned in the original post, exhaust and a K&N filter. Thats all. Thanks for posting guys it has been greatly appreciated to know this isn't just something wrong with my car. So please 03YELLOW let me know where I can get this post/bulletin please! I need to get this fixed asap. Also will just a regular tune fix this problem?

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
MIne did this also went to tune it and fond out I nnede to replace mu lower intake gaskets, I had vac leeks causing it to stall sometimes at a stop so fixed that and tuned it cause he wouldnt tune it till I fixed it and never again.

Drazga

Established Member
Where can I get this bulletin so Ford will flash my ECU for free? I'm fairly certain I don't have a chip. The only mods I have are the one's I mentioned in the original post, exhaust and a K&N filter. Thats all. Thanks for posting guys it has been greatly appreciated to know this isn't just something wrong with my car. So please 03YELLOW let me know where I can get this post/bulletin please! I need to get this fixed asap. Also will just a regular tune fix this problem?

i had the same problem. it didnt happen nearly as often with my old tune but now that i am on a spray tune with less timing and a different gap on the plugs it stalls out all the time. i went to ford and they looked at me like i was on drugs and offered a diagnostics test for $149 :rollseyes what should i bring to them? or should i have my tuner change in my current tune?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

This is the TSB info you can give your dealer. I would think that if your car's stalling issue is related to the tune that you'd still get a free reflash.

TSB #17-54-2
DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel".
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
good luck getting it flashed for free. 3/36,000 whichever comes first. They also might have a hard time find "TSB" 17-54-2. Your dealer may have more luck finding ssm #17542. THIS IS A NOT A RECALL

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Regardless of whether you get your ECU reflashed for free or have to pay for it, get it done. The stall issue can be dangerous. Like on a freeway exit ramp with cars behind you. It's happened.

Anyone with a custom tune since 2004 should have this fix already incorporated into the tune.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
it should only take someone who knows what they are doing 10 minutes. the average charge in my area is 1/2 hr. so hagle them if they want to charge anymore than half their door rate, but for safety reasons, yeah get it done...

Users who are viewing this thread