Stainless works exhaust problems...

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Is this the system?

Looking at it in pictures, looks like a nice system. Looks to be well laid out. The fact that it is larger in diameter than stock means that clearances are going to be tight. If I had purchased it, it would be with the expectation that I may have to tweak it here or there.

I would have started by verifying that everything fit together on the ground, before trying to fight anything in the air. Based on the portions that get clamped and the fact that they fit inside each other, I'd have lubricated each connection to allow for easier rotation as well as removal if need be. And dents at any of these areas may mean a slightly oblong hole and thus a trickier install. For that, a file and possibly a belt sander.

Once installed, again, verify potential contact points. A mini sledge and a socket extension work well to tweak as well as a pipe or large prybar to gain additional clearance. Nothing gets clamped or clamped tightly until I'm satisfied there is enough room.

I've installed a number of systems on a number of cars and trucks as well. Trucks are a bit too easy because there is always plenty of room. My experience with exhaust systems on the S197 (and I have a bit of that too) has been that it can be tight at certain points along the tailpipes. Panhard bar clearance, having installed a few of Maximum's panhard bars/brackets on Fox chassis cars, is almost always an area to pay extra attention to. Especially when installing oversize diameter tubing.

I wouldn't expect most to go as far but I have no issue using a sawzall, cutoff wheel in a 4" grinder, or firing up the MIG (let alone the TIG) to address an issue. Then again, I aim low with respect to expectations of others and their work, always hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Having to do extra work to ensure that things are done the way that I want them seems to be the norm as far as I see it. I'm a tradesman too.

Very well said, and that's exactly how we do it as well. People don't think to lube up the exhaust and it makes it a ton easier to get the fitment correct.

I had a mail order customer buy this system from me. Similar scenario (not saying this system didn't have issues), but the customer said there were issues with the system, went back and forth with pictures several times.

He ended up taking it to a local to him exhaust shop. 1 1/2 hours later he was driving with perfect fit.

ford13

Established Member
I am a very brand loyal person, I try to always do the right thing. I had a boss tell me years ago, "do right by your brothers" . . .
I don't want a free ride by any means. As Jason stated in his post, if the package worked, this thread would not exist.
I go out and buy SW, could have gotten 10+ other brands. Did I choose SW because I thought I would have to fight with it to make it work? Then to get into a shouting match with some dude who wants me to send him pictures? I doubt it ...
As I stated previously my four bent pieces are not bent properly. Period.
I am very appreciative of all the guys on here who took the time to offer help pointers, etc.
To those who said that a full refund was so nice of SW to offer, I beg to differ. I have so much invested in these pipes that SW can no longer afford them ...
I am gonna get things done locally too Beefcake, I want to chop and powder coat my tips as well as get some custom 3 inch pipes made to replace my defective ones.

jmchenry04

Just noticed your trouble with SW too and wanted to chime in with my experience. I have a 2011 Gt500 and purchased the entire header to cat back system and had it installed earlier this year by a shop in Tulsa Oklahoma. Needless to say the boys up in Tulsa had a pain in the ass time to get the system to fit as a bolt in system. Issues with the system were as follows:
1. Headers they built me were too long. They hang about 1.5 to 2.0 inches lower than a buddy of mine that has the same setup on his 2011 Gt500.
2. Drivers side header was not bent or designed correctly to go around the steering shaft. Custom beating on the header to flatten the area had to occur first for it to fit.
3. My system was requested to be a true 3 inch system. Therefore, it was sent to me for install with just the o-ring clamps (The pipes don't interlock). No information in the instructions stated welding was mandatory.
4. The EGR setup and location on the headers made the rebolting of the pipe almost impossible. The pipe fit but it is under extreme pressure from being held and tightened in place.
5. With the system installed the center section of the pipe basically laid about 2 inches from the ground, the catcback over the sway bar rubbed and rattled and the exhaust pipes were no where close to being center in the cutout of the diffuser. One actually would rest on the plastic.

The Tulsa shop sent me on my way home that day and back to OKC. I was lucky on my drive home as when I pulled into my garage, the back left pipe and muffler came loose and dangled from the 0-ring clamps. I was like what a joke, is this seriously happening. Not to mention the xpipe area and headers being too long scraped my driveway. The center section of the system pretty much hovered with about 2-2.5 inches of ground clearance. Basically a speed bump would be disasterous.

Well long story short. I took pictures (which I can post here once I figure how posting works), and sent them to SW. After talking with one of their reps, they told me to send back the system and they would look at the headers on their jig setup and check for things in specification. I told them that is fine but who is going to pay for all the labor to get the system off. If you have paid to have headers put on a car, you all know it isn't a cheap task nor is it quick. SW stated they would not pay for the labor to get the headers back. I felt at this point the only way I could get SW to fix my car without any more money out of my pocket was for me to drive it to their headquarters in OHIO but obviously that wasn't going to happen so I just had to take fix the problem on my own. Basically at this point I was stuck with long tube headers that were to long and a system that falls apart at the o-ring clamps and rattles on the sway bar. Note: my car is also lowered with BMR springs and controls arms.

So how did I get this situation fixed? Went to a little mom and pop exhaust shop in OKC and let a man of exhaust experience cut, bend and "WELD" the entire system in the car. Luckily he only charged me $100. The exhaust pipes are still not perfectly center but I don't have any rattles/rubbing now and he redirected the whole system higher after the headers so I don't scrape any longer thank goodness. Only advice I can give mustang owners who are looking at the SW system is to be prepared to have professionals install the system and expect to weld and cut on these systems. Also if you request a true 3 inch system from SW, there is no other way to get the system to work other then welding every seem to keep things in place. I do want to end on a good note. I am satsified now. I love the sound of the exhaust and power the headers made, just wish the system truly bolted in without headache or spending extra money to modify. I do believe SW tried to help me the best they could, I just couldn't spend the coin to have someone dismantle my system and have it shipped back to them. It was cheaper to just have a guy modify the system for $100 on a Saturday morning than go the customer service route. Had to be put in a cost benefit situation if you will.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
OUCH! sounds like a total nightmare! glad you got it mostly sorted out. i am contemplating tacking the seems if all holds up now that i've modified the defective pipes and have it all pretty squared away. going to put some miles on it as is and see how it holds up.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
BIMINILX Hello sir I am sorry I am just seeing this now. I really do appreciate your offer and I would really like to take you up on this. Can you please give me a call so we can make all of the arraignments and get this going. I will take video and pictures of the entire process for the community and redo our instruction so that the average mechanically inclined individual can do the install with more confidence.

Hey George, you do not have enough posts here to accept private messages so I emailed you early last week.
I haven't heard back, I will try and call you this week if I haven't heard back.
-J
:beer:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Lots tension lately on these boards.....all I know is that I have SW long tubes with OR/X and I love em

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the call George.
It looks like you guys will be seeing the first GT500 with an H-pipe system from SW.
Still trying to debate the full system vs. just cat-back, leaning toward the full system now that an H-pipe is possible.
Hopefully this will improve the install for future buyers.
We will let you know.
-J

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Thanks for the call George.
It looks like you guys will be seeing the first GT500 with an H-pipe system from SW.
Still trying to debate the full system vs. just cat-back, leaning toward the full system now that an H-pipe is possible.
Hopefully this will improve the install for future buyers.
We will let you know.
-J

please please give me feedback. I would love to switch my X to an H pipe for my long tubes.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
please please give me feedback. I would love to switch my X to an H pipe for my long tubes.

Def. will do, I was happy to hear George mention the H-pipe, that was my main concern with the complete system, didn't want on X on this car.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
3 emails and 3 voicemails and no call back, I need a call back ASAP or I'm taking my business elsewhere. Really wanted to support a local company but I'll be placing an order with ARH if no call.
-J

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Is there still an issue with the SW system? I'd love to have it on my car, but I will not struggle with it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there still an issue with the SW system? I'd love to have it on my car, but I will not struggle with it.

I've heard it both ways recently.
STILL WAITING on a return call, I spoke with Chris and George 2 weeks ago and was supposed to get a call to schedule bringing car to them for headers, H-pipe, catback.
I know at least 5 guys here alone that want an H-pipe ASAP.
So much for wanting to work with a local Ohio/USA company :bash:
Maybe I shouldn't have cancelled my ARH order :shrug:
-J

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
I want the SW full system with H pipe as well. I've been in contact with Paul and he has mentioned that they are attempting to wrap up their current projects (do the ram and jeep) and then they would be tackling the H pipe. I want it just as bad as you guys, but let's be patient and give them time. I think it will be worth it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I want the SW full system with H pipe as well. I've been in contact with Paul and he has mentioned that they are attempting to wrap up their current projects (do the ram and jeep) and then they would be tackling the H pipe. I want it just as bad as you guys, but let's be patient and give them time. I think it will be worth it.

Has nothing to do with patience.
I am patient, was not in a rush, now we're looking at maybe a month of drive time left.
I just want communication and follow-through with statements made to me, I'm actually easy to work with but then nobody returns calls or calls with a plan as promised. :shrug:
-J

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
I know brother I can sympathize. When my 2014 gets delivered I would take a road trip to Ohio if it would help lol.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
Has nothing to do with patience.
I am patient, was not in a rush, now we're looking at maybe a month of drive time left.
I just want communication and follow-through with statements made to me, I'm actually easy to work with but then nobody returns calls or calls with a plan as promised. :shrug:
-J

hey man at least you can drive your car!

these idiots had me stuck in my garage with my exhaust in pieces for weeks with everything from the original post!!

your aggravation is ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL too familiar! :bash:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
We do apologize about your issues you are having. The Gt500 is a tough system because you are using a 3” exhaust in tight areas so adjustment has to be just right. Installing the system on a 4 point lift makes the install VERY difficult as the suspension is not at ride height, This is why drive on lifts make the install much easier being the car is in it's neutral ride height. The over the axle pipes should have about ½” all the way around them to clearance them from everything. We have had clients in the past call us saying the same thing you have with the fitment and upon re-adjusting they get it right. It may take 3or 4 times adjusting the system.

When you first got the system and was installing it and noticed it was not seating in the expanded portions of the tubing why was stainless works not called right away??? Each joint should slide in a MINIMUM of 1” to 1-1/2”. We would have been happy to take that piece back, swap it out, or whatever we would have had to do to make sure you have the correct fitting piece. Once that section of tubing was installed and beaten to get off that is beyond our control. This is where the $250 for a replacement comes in to play. As you said in your first post you knew it did not fit together correctly so you beat it in. If we were called we would have taken care of it. Then now that the tube is destroyed you have to take care of the replacement. We stand behind our product 100% but when you knowingly hammered it together and then beat it apart. How could one expect that we should cover the cost of the replacement product. If you go to Home depot and buy a door get the door home try to install the door and realize it is not right. You then proceed to cut the door down to make it fit on doing so you break the glass in the door. Do you then bring the door back and say because it did not fit I cut it down and the glass broke you need to replace the door for free.. What do you think they will say. The same applies to all parts. If you notice a problem and do not inform the dealer or manufacture and take it into your own hands to try to rectify the situation you are also taking the outcome into your own hands as well. As for the cost that you keep speaking of thinking that the product cost is less the $7.00 dollars you my friend are sadly mistaken. The cost of AMERICAN made Stainless Steel is out of control at this time and since we do not outsource any of our product overseas these are the challenges we face as a American manufacturing corporation.

Thanks Chris
[email protected]
800-878-3635

Chris..I have your 11-12 gt500 kit and installed it on my back in my garage by myself with my suspension loaded on jack stands...it fits perfect and sounds amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread