St Louis to sue manufactures over car theft

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I saw a thing about hyundais and kias, they are stupid easy to steal. Yank the lock cylinder out and there is a nub inside that fits perfect into a USB cable. Twist, drive away.

They don't have chipped keys or any real security lol.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Car thefts have skyrocketed in St. Louis in recent months, with city leadership threatening lawsuits against Kia and Hyundai for an alleged defect that makes certain makes of the cars easier to steal.

chapelle-charlie-murphy.gif

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw a thing about hyundais and kias, they are stupid easy to steal. Yank the lock cylinder out and there is a nub inside that fits perfect into a USB cable. Twist, drive away.

They don't have chipped keys or any real security lol.
The issue stems from the lack of an immobilizer system in some of the vehicles prior to the 2022 model year, mainly 2011-2021 Kias and 2015-2021 Hyundais equipped with ignitions requiring mechanical keys.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just had a guy come in this morning in a 2016 Forte with a broken window and the column yanked apart. Mentioned this to him but it luckily they weren't able to get his car.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Sounds like a class action suit from owners in the making. Word gets out more than their used values will tank

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Pretty much either first timers or very disparate car thieves.

Actually, it's just bored teens. Look up "Kia boys" on YT if you want. Kias are laughable easy to steal and this spread on social media several months back. Teens are just stealing them, driving them around and ditching them, literally for no reason. They swerve all over the roads because you know how cool that is, yank some e-brakes, jump some curbs, and just walk away to steal another one tomorrow or next week, once bored. Kids claim they know people who have stolen 200+

EDIT: here's the first video I saw on the subject:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
For some reason Milwaukee is beyond insane for stolen cars. That is where the Kia boys video was filmed.

Apparently there were more than 10k stolen in 2021, that's 27+ a day. St Louis at 5 a day ain't got shit on the Kia boys and the Professional Stolie Riders in Milwaukee.

And yes, most of the city should be leveled and the trash should be taken out permanently.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Actually, it's just bored teens. Look up "Kia boys" on YT if you want. Kias are laughable easy to steal and this spread on social media several months back. Teens are just stealing them, driving them around and ditching them, literally for no reason. They swerve all over the roads because you know how cool that is, yank some e-brakes, jump some curbs, and just walk away to steal another one tomorrow or next week, once bored. Kids claim they know people who have stolen 200+

EDIT: here's the first video I saw on the subject:
Buy a manual and that will eliminate the bored kids lol

Users who are viewing this thread