Squid Coolness :)

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Small boys ( ships ) do that all the time.
I remember taking water over the flight deck bow in the North Atlantic @ least once !
I couldn't find any pics / videos of my ship ( CV-59 ), but there are of other ships..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Small boys ( ships ) do that all the time.
I remember taking water over the flight deck bow in the North Atlantic @ least once !
I couldn't find any pics / videos of my ship ( CV-59 ), but there are of other ships..
I remember watching destroyers from the deck of my carrier (CVS-33) entirely disappearing in VERY choppy seas. I would wonder how it feels below decks on those destroyers. :eek:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I remember watching destroyers from the deck of my carrier (CVS-33) entirely disappearing in VERY choppy seas. I would wonder how it feels below decks on those destroyers. :eek:
Yup. One of the reasons I was glad to be stationed on an aircraft carrier(CVN70). Many times you couldn't even tell you were underway.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Thank God I spent a majority of my career on submarines. During very rough seas, boats don’t fare well on the surface - there is no knife edge keel to right/stabilize a submarine. It’s more like a Louis Slugger with a weighted keel, and a very shitty experience.
I would go batshit crazy on a submarine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd be more concerned about what it smells like.
I knew a few guys assigned to destroyers and dealing with rough seas was routine to them. They grew accustomed to it all. A destroyer is tightly sealed so psychologically it was probably more like riding a coaster where you're tightly strapped in vs. riding in an older wooden coaster getting tossed around and up and down hoping you won't get tossed out. LOL.

Even an aircraft carrier can get tossed around if the seas are rough enough. I remember days where I'd literally hang on to a bulkhead walking down a hallway. I was never nervous or worried something bad might happen. I remember one day in rough seas seeing the carrier's flight deck list about 45 degrees momentarily. Wild? Yes. Scary? No.

Last edited:

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Thank God I spent a majority of my career on submarines. During very rough seas, boats don’t fare well on the surface - there is no knife edge keel to right/stabilize a submarine. It’s more like a Louis Slugger with a weighted keel, and a very shitty experience.
Spent a couple weeks in the Chicago for a cross deck. It was supposed to be 3 days and ended up being 2 weeks because of a typhoon in the Philippines. No thank you!!

Good food but the hot rack bunks and the mattresses on the empty torpedo racks was a no go for me.

I was a helo sub hunter so I spent most of my time in the sonar shack. I learned a ton in those 2 weeks. Wouldn't trade the experience for a lifetime of lbfm's.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Spent a couple weeks in the Chicago for a cross deck. It was supposed to be 3 days and ended up being 2 weeks because of a typhoon in the Philippines. No thank you!!

Good food but the hot rack bunks and the mattresses on the empty torpedo racks was a no go for me.

I was a helo sub hunter so I spent most of my time in the sonar shack. I learned a ton in those 2 weeks. Wouldn't trade the experience for a lifetime of lbfm's.
I went to school for the SQQ-32 Sonar which we used on the Sweeps and Hunters. We have a hole in the center of our ship and we lower that puppy down into the water to search for mines.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Holy Geebus, this is like ground hog day with all these sea stories. I always enjoyed the rocking and rolling, it's when the bottom drops out, where it gets interesting. The dead calm seas at night with a full moon, is also something to experience. Lots of great Naval experience on this site. The two best calls you'll ever hear are........."the ship is moored" and "liberty call".

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Holy Geebus, this is like ground hog day with all these sea stories. I always enjoyed the rocking and rolling, it's when the bottom drops out, where it gets interesting. The dead calm seas at night with a full moon, is also something to experience. Lots of great Naval experience on this site. The two best calls you'll ever hear are........."the ship is moored" and "liberty call".
HAHAHA..Right! I stood watch on the bridge and was the BMOW. Those are easy to say but when it comes time to call a man over board or conduct fire drills it gets a little more interesting. I actually dreamt I was back in the Navy last night, just remembered that. Was going through the transfer to a new duty station blues and how I had to uproot my wife and her get a new job and such...too funny.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
HAHAHA..Right! I stood watch on the bridge and was the BMOW. Those are easy to say but when it comes time to call a man over board or conduct fire drills it gets a little more interesting. I actually dreamt I was back in the Navy last night, just remembered that. Was going through the transfer to a new duty station blues and how I had to uproot my wife and her get a new job and such...too funny.
I did a fast rope insertion on a sweeper I think, had a big ass crane at back we had to avoid. The only time I delt with them.

Man overboard on the carrier was ridiculous. These dumbasses would throw a chemical light over and here we go. We'd go from the rack to airborne in less 15 minutes. Talk about pissed.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Don't get me started on the Philippines and Thailand. :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread