Spy Shots: '23 RAM 3500 HD Caught With Air Intake

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

RAM HD

This is the upcoming ’23 Ram HD refresh in 3500 dually form.

Taking a look at the truck, it appears that the biggest change will be to the hood, which will get a RAM air intake similar to what’s found on the Silverado and Sierra HD. From there, we see a new set of advanced camera mirrors, specifically Magna’s CLEARVIEW camera monitoring system. The technology is reportedly going to be ready for production applications starting in ’22–’23, and some variants of the RAM lineup will be the first to use the system.

The ’23 Ram HD is set to debut shortly before launching later this year.

RAM HD

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting news, even though I've never owned a truck.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Here’s to hoping it finally gets the Allison or the ZF Powerline trans there’s been so much speculation about.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Great motor but the cam/lifter failure issues would stop me from buying another one.
I dont see as many on the 6.4. See alot on the 5.7. Is this still an issue on the 2022 6.4? Notice more with the 15/16 motors

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
We have several 6.4's in our fleet. We saw some issues with pre-'20 model (not really any more that our GM and Ford gassers though, just different issues), but have more than one with 300K + miles and still going strong.

I think if you were able to do a statistical analysis, you'd find that most of these issues we here about online are actually a very, very, very small % of the total number produced.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I does have DoD, just like the 5.7. After getting a loud tick I just swapped everything out for Hellcat (non-DoD) lifters and deleted the whole setup. Hopefully it lasts. A lot of discussion on whether the raised cam position contributes to a lifter oiling issue. Who knows.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think the 6.4 truck motor has DoD, which seems to be the lifter killer. I could be wrong though, I'm definitely not a Mopar expert.

We have several 6.4's in our fleet. We saw some issues with pre-'20 model (not really any more that our GM and Ford gassers though, just different issues), but have more than one with 300K + miles and still going strong.

I think if you were able to do a statistical analysis, you'd find that most of these issues we here about online are actually a very, very, very small % of the total number produced.
I have a 15 (outside the 2014 recall window) and after 70k or so it started ticking. I change my oil at regular 5-6k intervals and always use premium synthetic (Amsoil, Redline, PuP). But with the 3 little kids the truck also spends a lot of time idling which I've heard contributes to the problem.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont see as many on the 6.4. See alot on the 5.7. Is this still an issue on the 2022 6.4? Notice more with the 15/16 motors
Definitely not as common on the 6.4 but I still see people having the same issue. Plus the 6.4 runs tighter tolerances so when excess metal gets in the bearings it pretty much wipes everything out. Surprisingly when I pulled my stock lifters everything looked ok so not sure what was making so much noise. But I replaced everything with Hellcat lifters regardless. Also added a Hellcat oil pump which definitely runs higher pressure than the stock pump. Figured that couldn't hurt.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a 15 (outside the 2014 recall window) and after 70k or so it started ticking. I change my oil at regular 5-6k intervals and always use premium synthetic (Amsoil, Redline, PuP). But with the 3 little kids the truck also spends a lot of time idling which I've heard contributes to the problem.

I'm surprised the HD trucks have DoD. Makes me appreciate the Ford 7.3L even more.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I know the 6.6 doesn’t use it either. Have to say the one my BIL just bought pulls a 5th wheel like a champ.

beau t

Established Member
I saw an article that cummins made a 6.7 gas motor ( looked like their diesel and if it wouldn't of said gas in the article i wouldn't of been none the wiser) anyhow the article said they wanted to get it in a Ram so maybe look for that to come out in the future - - will try to link it if i can find it again.
EDIT- Not the same article i read but the one shown below will work for now - didn't see Ram listed on it though.

beau t

Established Member
  1. ALTERNATIVE POWER

Cummins 6.7-liter gas engine part of new fuel agnostic strategy​

Quimby Mug Bayou Florida Headshot
Tom Quimby (HWT)
Feb 15, 2022
Cummins fuel agnostic 15-liter natural gas

Cummins 15-liter natural gas engine shown above will follow their gasoline-powered 6.7-liter engine scheduled for roll-out in 2024.
Cummins
In response to growing customer demand amid tightening emission regulations, Cummins announced today the industry’s first fuel-agnostic internal combustion powertrains.
Developed for pickups to Class 8 long-haul, the carbon-cutting powertrains are meant to be a bridge to their zero-emission all-electric and fuel cell offerings which the company acknowledges may not be an ideal fit currently for all fleets given higher upfront costs, range issues and fuel infrastructure challenges.
Cummins’ biggest embrace yet of a growing menu of low carbon fuels will be applied across their B Series, L Series and X Series engine lineup. Fuel choices will include diesel, natural gas, hydrogen, propane or gasoline. Once spec’d, engines will run on one fuel only.
The first engine expected to roll out in 2024 will be a 6.7-liter gasoline-ready option, which Cummins sees as a good fit for pickups and other vehicles needing “diesel-like durability and performance,” according to Cummins’ president of engine business Srikanth Padmanabhan.

Users who are viewing this thread