Spy Shots: '22 Mustang GT California Special Caught Testing in Metro Detroit

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

Mustang

This is the ’22 Mustang GT California Special Edition undergoing testing in Dearborn, Michigan, with masked logos and badges on the grille, door and decklid.

Based on the engine note, the convertible musclecar is still powered by Ford's 5.0L Coyote V8 and is mated to a six-speed manual. The only visual difference that we can find is a different set of wheels that is similar to (but not the same as) the units used on the Mustang Bullitt that was discontinued after the ’20 model year.

Exactly why Ford is updating the S550 Mustang so late in its lifecycle is puzzling, but it may just be a play to wring out some additional bucks before it goes to pasture.

Mustang

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Also seems to have the Brembo 6 piston 15" front brakes which California Special cars currently don't get.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
With hybrids not being allowed with the ICE bans (that maybe come as early as 2028 now), you have to wonder if Ford wants to actually release a S650 hybrid. Maybe you keep the S550 until you go all electric.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
When does Ford bring the Mustang back? Anyone? Thats as boring as the last one smh.

For Christ's sake change the design already its lame AF!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
With hybrids not being allowed with the ICE bans (that maybe come as early as 2028 now), you have to wonder if Ford wants to actually release a S650 hybrid. Maybe you keep the S550 until you go all electric.

I think you are dead nuts on… I mean they updated Fox body over and over until 2004, the SN-95, New Edge cars were really still based on the Fox platform, albeit very updated …they got 9 model years out of the S197… I doubt ford wants to release an S650 and only sell it for 5 or so years…

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I think you are dead nuts on… I mean they updated Fox body over and over until 2004, the SN-95, New Edge cars were really still based on the Fox platform, albeit very updated …they got 9 model years out of the S197… I doubt ford wants to release an S650 and only sell it for 5 or so years…

Fox Body (79-04) was perfection however. Retard cheap, stupid simple.

Users who are viewing this thread