Spy Shots—2020 Ford Escape Caught Virtually Undisguised

RSbeast

Established Member
518F7FAE-6AC5-41D9-8183-3FA8FB79E586.jpeg
Prefer my current 240hp awd variant.

I just wish Ford did a better job with the rear quarter panel pinch weld design. It’s been hell to keep it in good shape.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to see an ST variant with the 2.3L 310hp ecoboost with AWD and a lowered stance. Like a modern day Typhoon.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like they slapped a Focus front end on it.

Meh.

The current one looks a lot better. Or the original one as posted above.

RSbeast

Established Member
Absolutely.

I guess it’s not really a pinch weld.

The rear fender lips are made up of two layers of steel lapped over each other in parallel. Like this equal sign = except touching. There is a spot weld every 2 inches or so. On the inside seam of this joint Ford runs a 1/4” bead of sealant.

Except there is ZERO protection on exposed face of the abutted surfaces; and no way to clean in between them. However water and salt permeate the small opening and imperfection. They then rust internally and swell between the spot welds.

What is super fun, is you can’t really tell just how rotted things got until you start digging in and finding the inner layers rotted halfway from surface.

It’s a HORRIBLE design and unfortunately nobody sells a flare to even cover it; the lip or just after doing some bodywork.

Ford I believe has a TSB based repair; but it’s out of your own pocket. It’s about $1400 a side and replaces the lips with a SINGLE piece of steel; so that nothing can be trapped.

I ended up making my own... I’m sure I’ll have to do the other side in short time.

This, aside from my other complaints - but this is the real kicker. Driveline is super stout. I had an 01 v6 XLT awd before my 11. It was near flawless until high mile when it exhibited the tell tale trans issues.

The updated engine and 6spd auto are faster and more efficient. It’s a very comfortable and useful vehicle. I guess this is just a downfall.

RSbeast

Established Member
There is zero chance I’m doing that JUST for this site. Absurd for 2019 actually.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Absolutely.

I guess it’s not really a pinch weld.

The rear fender lips are made up of two layers of steel lapped over each other in parallel. Like this equal sign = except touching. There is a spot weld every 2 inches or so. On the inside seam of this joint Ford runs a 1/4” bead of sealant.

Except there is ZERO protection on exposed face of the abutted surfaces; and no way to clean in between them. However water and salt permeate the small opening and imperfection. They then rust internally and swell between the spot welds.

What is super fun, is you can’t really tell just how rotted things got until you start digging in and finding the inner layers rotted halfway from surface.

It’s a HORRIBLE design and unfortunately nobody sells a flare to even cover it; the lip or just after doing some bodywork.

Ford I believe has a TSB based repair; but it’s out of your own pocket. It’s about $1400 a side and replaces the lips with a SINGLE piece of steel; so that nothing can be trapped.

I ended up making my own... I’m sure I’ll have to do the other side in short time.

This, aside from my other complaints - but this is the real kicker. Driveline is super stout. I had an 01 v6 XLT awd before my 11. It was near flawless until high mile when it exhibited the tell tale trans issues.

The updated engine and 6spd auto are faster and more efficient. It’s a very comfortable and useful vehicle. I guess this is just a downfall.

Has your vehicle been hit there? Sounds like you are talking about where the quarter panel and inner quarter panel or outer wheelhouse panel overlap. Pretty much every car is put together the same way you described there, or some variation of it, with the quarter panel and it typically never raises any issues, so Im curious if someone did a repair on yours or it received a new panel and something wasn't put together correctly. You are supposed to have corrosion protection or cavity wax in the crevice of those panels on the inside which is what prevents the water from corroding the inside.

RSbeast

Established Member
No. Every 08-12 escape I looked at had the same issue. I bought the cleanest low mile example I could find to combat it (23k miles CPO)

There isn’t even a sealant until the panels first touch on the INSIDE of the quarters.

I guess I’ll just have to get pictures on here from another source.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
View attachment 1544023 Prefer my current 240hp awd variant.

I just wish Ford did a better job with the rear quarter panel pinch weld design. It’s been hell to keep it in good shape.

Does yours have rust on the right rear quarter? My wife’s 12 does what a shame. Other than that she likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread