Spy Shots—’20 Toyota Tundra Breaks Cover, Keeps Old Cab, Gets New Rear Suspension

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

i-zBxq892-X4.jpg

Here’s the ’20 Toyota Tundra undergoing testing in Ann Arbor, Michigan, alongside the current-generation Ford F-150.

Toyota is giving the Tundra a major refresh for 2020, while preserving the 11-year-old cab from 2008, pretty much following the Toyota Camry playbook (’06–’17 maintained the same greenhouse/pillars).

The Tundra will get all-new looks from the A-pillar forward, along with an all-new interior, updated bed and a new tailgate. These changes should keep the Tundra “fresh” for another couple of years. Some engine tweaks may also be in the works. A new 10-speed automatic that first appeared in the Lexus LC and LS models is also slated for all of Toyota’s rear-drive vehicles, including the Tundra.

The most interesting part of this prototype involves the (street sweeper) camo disguising the rear axle and rear suspension. Could Toyota be taking a page from RAM’s playbook with an air suspension option? Or even wilder, an independent rear suspension?

Expect to see this ’20 Tundra later this year.

i-xkDNPMt-X4.jpg

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
On the Tundra forums there is a rumor that the diesel is finally supposed to come out.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If it's the Cummins V8, it's a POS. I drove a diesel Titan for 3 days. No way in hell would I buy one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Friend had a diesel Titan and it was a turd plagued with issues that eventually lemon'd I believe. Then I drove a few brand new ones from Enterprise with the gas motors and with only 4k mikes the struts squeaked whenever the weight shifted front or rear.

My94GT

Established Member
Meh I’m glad I didn’t wait and just picked up a ram instead. Currently I think it’s the truck to beat and it’s going to take a lot to do so. I expect to see ford step up when the f150 gets a refresh and really wow us again.

01FormulaTA

Established Member
Surprised would be an understatement if it has IRS, I’d bet on a solid axle with coil springs...will be interesting to see if they add direct injection to the 5.7

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Bingo. You hit the nail on it. @BRNG ITT works in them. Maybe he has info

I can say this much......

One of the robots I do programming for loads the frames onto the line. (As of right now,) The next gen Tundra will have a redesigned frame. New programming for a certain robot is not on my radar for this year.

Think more along the lines of a refresh.

As an added bonus, pop quiz;

Between the Tundra and Tacoma, how many frame variations do we currently have in production?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

One of the robots I do programming for loads the frames onto the line. (As of right now,) The next gen Tundra will have a redesigned frame. New programming for a certain robot is not on my radar for this year.

Between the Tundra and Tacoma, how many frame variations do we currently have in production?

Just based on typical cabs and drivetrain configurations I would say at least 10, but I don't know the Toyota trucks enough to add in different frames for bed lengths and payload packages.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Just based on typical cabs and drivetrain configurations I would say at least 10, but I don't know the Toyota trucks enough to add in different frames for bed lengths and payload packages.

Your thought process is right on track; but number is a bit off.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Your thought process is right on track; but number is a bit off.

Oh I know the number is low. I just know there's at least 2 cabs on Tundra and 3 on Taco, and that both can be had on 4x2 and 4x4. Start throwing in bed lengths (long bed crews available?) and payload packaged and it could easily double. I know at one point Ford had over 20 frame options on F-150.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Oh I know the number is low. I just know there's at least 2 cabs on Tundra and 3 on Taco, and that both can be had on 4x2 and 4x4. Start throwing in bed lengths (long bed crews available?) and payload packaged and it could easily double. I know at one point Ford had over 20 frame options on F-150.

Long bed crew is not a option on the Tundra

BRNG ITT

Established Member

There is not a CrewMax long bed option, but there is a company that will stretch your frame and throw the long bed on for you if you have the coin. Not a small truck.

43F1EFF0-A868-4B3D-865E-5AE7FBE6E562.jpeg

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Also, I am standing in our axle line right now and I have not seen any assembly equipment upgrade plans for a new rear suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread