Spun a Rod Bearing

lizardbreath

Banned
Canton oil pan. Some sort of oil cooler (I don't know if you already bought this....and since you are pulling the motor out replace the radiator with a fluidine one since those are pretty sweet.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Have the 03/04 Cobras had alot of problems with spinning bearings? Reading all this almost makes we want to sell my car.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
RedRocketMike said:
Have the 03/04 Cobras had alot of problems with spinning bearings? Reading all this almost makes we want to sell my car.

Just make sure you change the oil frequently and dont let the oil levels get low and your engine should last a long time.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
They just picked up the Cobra to start removing the hurt motor. I will try to document the swap as much as I can and share it with you guys. Wish me luck guys, and if you have any suggestions for me please let me know.

NAZ hopefully Ill ship you my intake next week. Thanks!! :beer:

:pop:

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
Update! Update!

Finally the engine is in the car. After 5months shes alive. The car feels a lot stronger than it ever did. We installed a brand new Mach 1 complete crate engine. Also put the LDC Cooling Mod and Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit along with an aluminum flywheel of an 03 Cobra. New Energy suspention motor and trany mounts. Bought an Xcal 2 so I can fine tune it. (thanks Sergio)

The only thing I have to do is send my intake to NAZ for porting. (This week I hope)

Here are a couple of pics:

Picture011.jpg

Picture001.jpg

OLD ENGINE COMING OUT.
Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

NEW ENGINE IN.
Picture010.jpg

Picture009.jpg

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Congrats!! I don't even think you can get a brand new New Edge motor anymore....correct? Lots of luck with it!!!

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Where you running spray of anything? how many miles?

Or how did it let go?

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
MachME said:
Where you running spray of anything? how many miles?

Or how did it let go?

No spray, the car let go at 76,xxx miles.

Not sure why it spun a bearing but my mechanic says it had to do with the aftermarket pullies. The one to tha crank was suppose to be a piggyback style but was never installed correctly. Who knows why it did it but I'm staying away from any pullies.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
inzane001 said:
No spray, the car let go at 76,xxx miles.

Not sure why it spun a bearing but my mechanic says it had to do with the aftermarket pullies. The one to tha crank was suppose to be a piggyback style but was never installed correctly. Who knows why it did it but I'm staying away from any pullies.

i believe the piggyback pulleys are the ones to stay away from on our cars...so i bet that was a major factor. i feel your pain man - just had my new motor dropped in about a month ago....

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:
i believe the piggyback pulleys are the ones to stay away from on our cars...so i bet that was a major factor. i feel your pain man - just had my new motor dropped in about a month ago....

Did you have your engine rebuilt or did you have a reman put in or other. How is your Cobra running now?

The Mach 1 engine I put in my Cobra fells way better that the original engine. :D

BlueVenom01

Established Member
inzane001 said:
Did you have your engine rebuilt or did you have a reman put in or other. How is your Cobra running now?

The Mach 1 engine I put in my Cobra fells way better that the original engine. :D

It was a Ford reman longblock done by AER Mfg....it feels stronger than the stocker too. Now whether it's actually true or just my SOTP meter or the fact that I was overly excited to have my Cobra back, well, we'll never know!! :thumbsup:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
o noes, my car has piggy backs on them. The orignal owner put them on.

I bought the car with 17k on it, i now have 22k.

Good news is, even before reading this, im already having stock pullies sent to me from a guy i know, off his mustang. Well the water pump and alt, since a piggy back system still has the stock crank pulley mounted.

man this makes me nervous. How long were the piggy backs on you car?

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
MachME said:
o noes, my car has piggy backs on them. The orignal owner put them on.

I bought the car with 17k on it, i now have 22k.

Good news is, even before reading this, im already having stock pullies sent to me from a guy i know, off his mustang. Well the water pump and alt, since a piggy back system still has the stock crank pulley mounted.

man this makes me nervous. How long were the piggy backs on you car?

I've had the car for about 3yrs and thats how it came with the pullies. So atleast 4 yrs.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
inzane001 said:
I've had the car for about 3yrs and thats how it came with the pullies. So atleast 4 yrs.

Do you know how many miles? It blew up at 76k on your car, so if i get them off now hopefully it will be safe.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
MachME said:
Do you know how many miles? It blew up at 76k on your car, so if i get them off now hopefully it will be safe.

I bought the car with about 54,xxx miles and it let go once I hit 77,000 miles.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
inzane001 said:
I bought the car with about 54,xxx miles and it let go once I hit 77,000 miles.

Hm, well thats 30k right there, i wonder how long the previous guy had them on.

Im kinda pissed at myself for not fixing this problem early. I known piggy backs were bad but havent gotton on top of it to fix it yet.

Hopefully mine will be off soon.

BTW, early you said, they were installed wrong, how so?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Well got my stokc pulleys from a salvage place, will be getting em on soon.

hows the mach motor?

Users who are viewing this thread