Spun a Rod Bearing

Jamie R.

Established Member
How far is San Antonio from you? Naz lives in San Antonio and you also have Mike Murrilo out there. Sorry to hear about the engine. Dang you guys have me nervous, I'm going to go and check the oil in my car right now.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
New Engine

As all of you know my car spun a bearing, so I ended up purchasing a new 03' Mach 1 engine. Its complete from intake to oil pan. Some of you might have seen my car for sale (including new motor) in other web sites, but I have decided to go ahead with the swap. The car will always be for sale, everything has a price.

Since the motor will be out of the car what are a few things you guys recommend for me to do? What other mods can I do while the engine is out? Should I switch out the cams from the Cobra engine to the Mach engine?
One thing for sure is a 7qt oil pan and also some after market oil and water gauges which are the best and fairly priced?

I will try to take pictures of the swap and keep you guys up to date with my progress. Here are a couple of pics of the new motor.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out and answered my questions. And to everybody in the New Edge forum for your help. Wish me luck. :beer:

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

UCBeau

was it from an auto mach or a manual?

while the motor is out, do the 7 qt oil pan and if you plan on racing it on road courses or auto-x, do the ldc cooling mod.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
was it from an auto mach or a manual?

while the motor is out, do the 7 qt oil pan and if you plan on racing it on road courses or auto-x, do the ldc cooling mod.

Manual. I dont plan on road racing maybe just taking it down the 1/4 mile. Should I just do the ldc cooling mod anyways. The car will be driven everyday.

UCBeau

it's up to you..it won't hurt the car BUT it probably isn't necessary because you don't have a blower and won't be running it at high speed for any length of time..it's your money but IMHO, given your current setup, not worth it.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
it's up to you..it won't hurt the car BUT it probably isn't necessary because you don't have a blower and won't be running it at high speed for any length of time..it's your money but IMHO, given your current setup, not worth it.

I'd do the LDC mod now definitely! It's less than $200 insurance on a $7k engine and if you ever decide to go blown you'll already have it in place!

Also while the engine is out of the car, take a good look at what clutch you want. Perhaps go w/ an 03 Cobra clutch & aluminum f/w or a DFX clutch & Fidenza aluminum f/w.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
I'd do the LDC mod now definitely! It's less than $200 insurance on a $7k engine and if you ever decide to go blown you'll already have it in place!

Also while the engine is out of the car, take a good look at what clutch you want. Perhaps go w/ an 03 Cobra clutch & aluminum f/w or a DFX clutch & Fidenza aluminum f/w.

LDC mod is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards doing it.

As far as the clutch I have a 1 year old Spec stage II clutch, so I'm not sure if I should replace it. I will do the throw out bearing its was getting noisy again.

UCBeau

REX-RACER said:

dude he's got a stock mach 1 motor...they can't handle that much boost so he's got more to worry about than the ldc mod at this point..plus, if he gets a built motor, he can always put the LDC in at that time.

wallie40

Established Member
inzane001 said:
Should I switch out the cams?
I wouldnt you are looking at extra time to swap and extra cost. The Mach 1 cams will suit you fine.

Good luck on your swap. I spun a bearing too and my car has been in the shop for 2 months.

Congrats!!

-pAul

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
wallie40 said:
I wouldnt you are looking at extra time to swap and extra cost. The Mach 1 cams will suit you fine.

Good luck on your swap. I spun a bearing too and my car has been in the shop for 2 months.

Congrats!!

-pAul

Thats what I was thinking, but it would be included in swaping out the engine. I just dont know if it worth all that troulble and if it has significant gains.

warpd

Established Member
^^Why would you not do cams and ldc mod while the motor is out? I mean I guess if you plan on pulling it out again in the near future whatever, but I would.

warpd

Established Member
inzane001 said:
Thats what I was thinking, but it would be included in swaping out the engine. I just dont know if it worth all that troulble and if it has significant gains.

If they are worth 5hp its worth it if cost is the same, at least to me.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
warpd said:
^^Why would you not do cams and ldc mod while the motor is out? I mean I guess if you plan on pulling it out again in the near future whatever, but I would.

I dont plan on pulling out the new motor at all. Once its in its in till I get rid of the car or blows up.

elyrain said:
I would swap out the upper intake, for yours with the snake on it...

Thats a sure thing, but I want to put on a ported lower intake by NAZ. I have already spoken to him about it. Very cool person. I think hes out of town so he cant port one till a while later, but I might be wrong.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
Just ordered the LDC Cooling Mod and Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit.

CoolantMod.gif
ClutchFreeplay.gif

Next is a 7qt oil pan, anybody know where I can get one for a good price?
What else should I get?

Thanks

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread