spoiler?

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
We've used them on Koni Challenge cars. They do work, I can't give you actual numbers but we have track tested them and every time the driver, "wants the damn wing back on":D

Really. Anything more you could tell me. I always figured they were wide enough to catch some air off the side and the profile looked promising. Was it that noticeable a difference around a track, or was it just a stability thing?

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
No they aren't.

Then you would be wrong sometimes too.

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's ok to not be called on it. Your wife just doesn't know any better, no offense to her as most people don't, as made obvious by the OP.

We're just trying to give the guy the CORRECT information so that when he gets to the track he has a good idea of what is going to occur. If you want to give him false ideas of what takes place by calling it "racing" then I don't see how you are being of help to him. We are trying to have him as prepared as possible before he even goes so that he can get the most of the experience. If that means we sound like we are being hard on him, so be it. I doubt he will cry about us giving him good information and if he does he probably doesn't belong on track anyways.

Ah, you have run with my group. right? :lol:

I use the racing term too. Most people dont understand HPDE or track days and, they dont need to know the difference. BUT,If you want to participate, it is important to understand.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
thanks for the info. so at these "HPDE" things you arent timed or anything? how are you supposed to know if youre getting better with nothing to base it off? and if it is timed in my opinion that would be racing because you are trying to get a faster time? anyways im still going to get a wing so does anybody know how many pounds of drag it takes to knock off 1mph top speed?

No, the event does not time you. They will not stop you from setting up your own timing equipment from what I've seen though. Just because you are recording lap times does not mean you are racing. Racing means you are competing with others for the fastest lap time or you have open passing to determine who is first to finish. Neither of those things take place at a HPDE.

Really. Anything more you could tell me. I always figured they were wide enough to catch some air off the side and the profile looked promising. Was it that noticeable a difference around a track, or was it just a stability thing?

I'm not sure I will have to ask the drivers on the team. Or maybe I can get Bruce to do a little comparison sometime. Either way it does make a difference in lap times because with greater stability you are more confident in driving the car faster. So I'm not sure if the improved lap times were from driver confidence or an actual increase in grip.

Ah, you have run with my group. right? :lol:

I use the racing term too. Most people dont understand HPDE or track days and, they dont need to know the difference. BUT,If you want to participate, it is important to understand.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've ran with your pack of clowns:D

I used to use the term racing until I got sick of my friends asking me how I finished. From then on I just told them I was going to test and tune, they understand that much better and I don't have to explain it to them further. My mother still tells people I go racing and I correct her everytime. I think she gets confused since I drive at HPDE and work at races though.:shrug:

Last edited:

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
No, the event does not time you. They will not stop you from setting up your own timing equipment from what I've seen though. Just because you are recording lap times does not mean you are racing. Racing means you are competing with others for the fastest lap time or you have open passing to determine who is first to finish. Neither of those things take place at a HPDE.

I'm not sure I will have to ask the drivers on the team. Or maybe I can get Bruce to do a little comparison sometime. Either way it does make a difference in lap times because with greater stability you are more confident in driving the car faster. So I'm not sure if the improved lap times were from driver confidence or an actual increase in grip.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've ran with your pack of clowns:D

I used to use the term racing until I got sick of my friends asking me how I finished. From then on I just told them I was going to test and tune, they understand that much better and I don't have to explain it to them further. My mother still tells people I go racing and I correct her everytime. I think she gets confused since I drive at HPDE and work at races though.:shrug:

LOL, Yea, I get asked that too. I give up trying to explain anymore. You ever get all the gingerman grass from beneath the Bolt? :poke:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
LOL, Yea, I get asked that too. I give up trying to explain anymore. You ever get all the gingerman grass from beneath the Bolt? :poke:

I'm hoping the rest of it will come out when I wash the truck this week :p

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
thanks for the info. so at these "HPDE" things you arent timed or anything? how are you supposed to know if youre getting better with nothing to base it off? and if it is timed in my opinion that would be racing because you are trying to get a faster time? anyways im still going to get a wing so does anybody know how many pounds of drag it takes to knock off 1mph top speed?

If you want the rush of timed runs you need to look a the Time Attack events
Up Coming Events - Time Attack Forums
I believe we are going to have atleast one this year in my area orginized by SPDA. For now I run in the Solosprint Championship
SoloSprint - About SoloSprint

be safe

ps My Cobra R wing cost me roghly 10-15km/h on Mosport GP's back straight, but I can carry more speed through the rest of the track and the Cobra is more planted going into turn 8...

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member

You will know :)

Think in this way... you know nothing, like a baby who can't walk and want to do track&field. Believe me, you don't have to go to the Olympics to actually measure your progress. You will know when you are taking care of your brakes, when you are taking the car to the limits, when you lose the car and can recover without sweating it, when you see a small squirrel at the side of the road while you are doing 140mph, when you can see a couple of drops of oil and you are turning as hard as you can, when you see an accident a couple hundred yards BEHIND you...

Oh... you want a wing and you have a lot o zeros in your savings account?: AEROMOTIONS » PRODUCTS :eek:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
You also know when you are improving because you will be giving less Miata's the point-by signal. Think I am joking? Those little cars will eat you up in the turns. And you should let them by at the next straight instead of drag racing them to the next turn. Learn from the lower hp cars. Understand why they are catching you in the corners.

David Hester

Established Member
Amen on those d**n Miatas
Having done both for years, it ain't racin. Fun? You betcha!
If you are going fast enough to be unstable, you need to figure out what you are doing wrong.
I have a buddy that took the wing off his car (MR2) and went faster at Road Atlanta.
Another thing, with no top, not sure how much it is going to help, anyway.
You need a flow of air over the car to get it to the wing. Air follows the shape until it can't hold any more and then goes to turbulence.
With only a windshield, you are breaking up the air and then it tumbles over the interior. It would have to be REALLY high to make much difference on a convertible with the top down, and with it up, well you can see how turbulent it gets with the flapping.

still wondering does any1 know how to figure out how much drag it takes to knock off 1mph top speed?
Not much. And it is more like mph's Figure a piece of tape over hood gaps is worth speed, then a flap in the air makes a big difference. Life's a compromise. Wing=Drag.

30 + years of racing, I've found speed off a corner is worth more top speed than anything.
Road Atlanta, end of the straight into turn 10 can vary 200-300 RPM depending on how much speed you can carry off of turn 7.

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
Almost every single Time Attack has an unlimited class and they allow anything!

I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if AIX or SU allows them.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
SCCA CAN-AM banned them back in the '60's, as does Formula-1.

:D
chaparral-1.jpg

Nothing beats this car though. It's the Brabham BT46. It used a fan attached to the engine crank to create a low pressure area under the car. It's pure genius.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46]Brabham BT46 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

brabham-bt46b01.jpg

And off-topic as well, but the ever awesome Tyrrell P34
Tyrrell_P34_6561.preview.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread