spoiler?

Stupercharged

Established Member
anybody running a spoiler on their car? Im looking for more downforce for the high speed sweepers to give me a little more confidence.

Phxcobra

Established Member
i see you're in phoenix. what are you driving and where do you run? I was at the NASA event at firebird on Sat. What blast. Looking to do PIR in Sept i think

Stupercharged

Established Member
i have an 04 cobra. n ive gone with a buddy to the nasa events but never brought my own car. i was looking at apr wings i need something that works well anything over 100 but doesnt have that much drag either becasue im also looking to do the texas mile

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
If you want to spend the money get a G-stream wing. They're really nice, but expensive. Like 1000-2000 expensive.

APR wings are a good alternative. I've heard they're pretty decent for the price. Those are the same wings that Roush uses on the 427 Trak Pak cars. I don't know if I would run one daily on the street though. Grab an extra sixer trunk for a hundred bucks and then only run it on track days?

The steeda wing is another option, but I've yet to find any data on the wings. Even others in AI and on CC.com don't know if it works, but it might. It looks like it does.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
The steeda wing is another option, but I've yet to find any data on the wings. Even others in AI and on CC.com don't know if it works, but it might. It looks like it does.

We've used them on Koni Challenge cars. They do work, I can't give you actual numbers but we have track tested them and every time the driver, "wants the damn wing back on":D

Phxcobra

Established Member
i have an 04 cobra. n ive gone with a buddy to the nasa events but never brought my own car. i was looking at apr wings i need something that works well anything over 100 but doesnt have that much drag either becasue im also looking to do the texas mile

I've got an 03 cobra. You should definitely bring your car out. Try it once and you'll be hooked. i was running with another Cobra on Sat, but he had the stock Falken tires on the car. Haha, those things are horrible. I've Nitto drag radial and he spun out badly trying to hang with me. Suprisingly, these nitto drag radials do ok. If you go out to the track, look for a black 03. I've been doing both the NASA and Proauto sports events.

Stupercharged

Established Member
ya i just gota get the money to race now! anybody know if i need a 6-point cage to race because i have a convertible?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
ya i just gota get the money to race now! anybody know if i need a 6-point cage to race because i have a convertible?

Ugh. You don't know the rules and have no experience on track and you are worried about a spoiler?

You need to read stuff like this http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/open-track-racing-203/301453-open-track-primer-great-read.html

and go through different things presented here

Track Info

then get yourself on track before you need to worry about working much on the car.

And yes you will need a roll bar (minimum) with a convertible. Don't even worry about racing yet BTW, get some experience before you decide to go wheel to wheel with other people.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
how am i supposed to get experience without racing?

First thing I learned... If you've never done a track event yet, it is NOT racing. Actually, even if you've done a few, it still isn't "racing". It is learning how to drive your car. Relax with the mods and just get out there and get some seat time and LISTEN to your instructors.:thumbsup:

Phxcobra

Established Member
Semantic Police are out. I call it racing sometimes too. Like i say to my wife, i'm going racing this weekend, not i'm going to HPDE event. No it's not really racing, but i use it in a loose sense of the word. Take it a little easier on the guy sheesh.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Semantic Police are out.

No they aren't.

I call it racing sometimes too.

Then you would be wrong sometimes too.

Like i say to my wife, i'm going racing this weekend, not i'm going to HPDE event.

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's ok to not be called on it. Your wife just doesn't know any better, no offense to her as most people don't, as made obvious by the OP.

No it's not really racing, but i use it in a loose sense of the word. Take it a little easier on the guy sheesh.

We're just trying to give the guy the CORRECT information so that when he gets to the track he has a good idea of what is going to occur. If you want to give him false ideas of what takes place by calling it "racing" then I don't see how you are being of help to him. We are trying to have him as prepared as possible before he even goes so that he can get the most of the experience. If that means we sound like we are being hard on him, so be it. I doubt he will cry about us giving him good information and if he does he probably doesn't belong on track anyways.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
There is a BIG difference between "What do I need to do to be ready?" for racing versus HPDE type events.

I made the same type of thread three years ago in this very forum. Thank goodness a couple of the veterans took some kindness on me and led me towards the school route versus pushing me straight into a racing environment. I am a better driver because of it.

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks for the info. so at these "HPDE" things you arent timed or anything? how are you supposed to know if youre getting better with nothing to base it off? and if it is timed in my opinion that would be racing because you are trying to get a faster time? anyways im still going to get a wing so does anybody know how many pounds of drag it takes to knock off 1mph top speed?

BlueMach1

Stang Family
Established Member
Maier Racing- Check website

Griggs- John at Chicane23.com can help you get this one (carbon fiber)

G-Stream-expensive

Fabricated

Unknown (some I believe APR)

There is the Cobra R Wing...just some ideas...hope this helps...check websites and ask question...etc.

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks a lot man! i like those duck tails a lot! but i have a convertible so airflow over the roof and rear windshield isnt that great so i have to get the wing up higher. i think im going to go with apr gtc-500 it looks sweet has tons of downforce and minimal drag. still wondering does any1 know how to figure out how much drag it takes to knock off 1mph top speed?

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
thanks a lot man! i like those duck tails a lot! but i have a convertible so airflow over the roof and rear windshield isnt that great so i have to get the wing up higher. i think im going to go with apr gtc-500 it looks sweet has tons of downforce and minimal drag. still wondering does any1 know how to figure out how much drag it takes to knock off 1mph top speed?

There's a nice thread on CC.com that is a nice discussion of what wing for a 98 Cobra vert. I suggest you read it.

Users who are viewing this thread