Speeding Ticket 120+mph CA

wesessiah

Established Member
Best LEO car ever IMO. I do like the new caprice though. I hate the impalas and I hate my charger, the V6 is terrible.
based on my limited experience with them in the driving courses... they feel like more of a drivers car, in that you can make them do what you want it to do, rather than the charger feeling like you have less say so with it wanting to assist you. then again, i like good ol' threshold breaking with no abs, and no power steering, or traction control and determing my own maneuvers with the input i get from the car.

we have hybrid escapes too, lol... definitely not meant to be patrol vehicles. we had a chase a couple months ago and the escape ended up about 5 minutes behind in a 15 minute chase. one of them got outran and left by a ford work van :nonono:
all of our chargers have a hemi... but that may change with the new chief since he came from a department with v6 chargers, and seems to like them. he seems like he'll be an excellent chief though, so i won't complain.
I respectfully disagree though the Impala is close. I went back a few years since the Crown Vic has been phased out, but I'd consider this data from the Michigan State Police testing more accurate since it takes place on a closed course and it doesn't rely on a driver to look down at the speedo at 100+ on a public road:

Top Speed of police cars (mph):

Crown Vic PI 4.6L (3.27 gears) - 129
Crown Vic PI 4.6L (3.55 gears) - 120
Charger 3.5L - 137
Charger 5.7L - 146
Impala 3.9L - 139
Tahoe - 133

data from here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...tion_Top_Speed_and_Brake_Testing_304540_7.pdf

Sorry guys, I know you all have a soft spot in your heart for the Crown Vics but they are slow, even the Tahoe was quicker/faster. 250 hp doesn't move a 4500+ lb brick very well

i wouldn't claim a crown vic is fast, but it feels a lot better at speed (in my limited experience with it) and far better on the driving course than the impala. i notice that testing shows brake fade on the impala... it's noticeable. i wish that testing showed a slalom, and skidpad.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
i wouldn't claim a crown vic is fast, but it feels a lot better at speed (in my limited experience with it) and far better on the driving course than the impala. i notice that testing shows brake fade on the impala... it's noticeable. i wish that testing showed a slalom, and skidpad.

Oh the Vicky isn't fasy by any means on thr accel, but at top end it does have a helluva nice ride quality. I am a die hard Ford guy, but I will take an Impala for a patrol platform over the Vic, Charger, and Taurus. At well over 140, my Impala handles like a dream. No worries about the ass-end walking around on you, can pull the **** hard coming out of curves, BUT brake fade is an issue, which is now helped some in the 12 and up Impalas with the front brake ducts and the select shift for the trans.

Lol'ing at the stats posted for the patrol vehicles. Unless you've been on 40 mile plus runs at WOT, you will never see the true top end. What was posted was a joke, no offense to who posted them.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Oh the Vicky isn't fasy by any means on thr accel, but at top end it does have a helluva nice ride quality. I am a die hard Ford guy, but I will take an Impala for a patrol platform over the Vic, Charger, and Taurus. At well over 140, my Impala handles like a dream. No worries about the ass-end walking around on you, can pull the **** hard coming out of curves, BUT brake fade is an issue, which is now helped some in the 12 and up Impalas with the front brake ducts and the select shift for the trans.

Lol'ing at the stats posted for the patrol vehicles. Unless you've been on 40 mile plus runs at WOT, you will never see the true top end. What was posted was a joke, no offense to who posted them.

No prob, just thought I would add some hard data numbers to the convo. I know real world numbers can differ, maybe there was some drafting involved or part of the chase was downhill

silver03svt

Established Member
No prob, just thought I would add some hard data numbers to the convo. I know real world numbers can differ, maybe there was some drafting involved or part of the chase was downhill

No, no drafting. The limiters on them are set, but occassionally you get one that's not set, or the parameters have changed in them during programming. My first Impala (06) would see in excess of 150 very easily. The current Impala (also 06) has limiter set at 142, but even at times it'll still crank up to 147 before the brain realizes it's over. As far as the Vics went, Ford never could get those limiters set right, and I have only seen a handul in 14 years that actually were limited at what you posted.

wesessiah

Established Member

may just be the impalas we have are as worn out as the vics we did have. we only have two and i believe they are both 2008 models with 150,000+ on them. i've never been over 100 in one of the impalas. one thing i will definitely give them though, is they are comfortable.

Last edited:

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Exceeding 100 MPH is 2 points on your driving record and can also be deemed "reckless" which would bump it up to a misdemeanor. That would remain in his record for 7 years if it isn't considered reckless. He also may lose his license for up to 1 year which means that he'd have to have it reinstated via a SR-70 after the alloted suspension time is up which stays on your record for 3 years and also goes against you.

Please explain to me how this won't affect his insurance "that much".

+1 the insurance company i work for would destroy the premium, especially if theres a past license suspension. I primarily deal with home insurance but occasionally dabble in auto as a cross sales agent. Whats the difference between a SR-70 and a SR-22, I've only ever really heard of the SR-22?

S8ER01Z

Established Member
he's saying it's one of those "your results may vary" scenarions. the page linked above didn't list actual data for top speeds for one, just the top speed number, which may have just been taken from the manufacturer's word.

MSP tests each vehicles to speed... per their report all vehicles had limiters.

All of the cars were tested with a clean roof (no overhead light or light bar) and without “A” pillar mount spotlights. We believe this is the best way to ensure all of the vehicles are tested on an equal basis. Remember that once overhead lights, spotlights, radio antennas, sirens, and other emergency equipment are installed, overall performance may be somewhat lower than we report.
Each vehicle was tested with the tires that are available as original equipment on the production model. Specific tire information for each vehicle is available in the Vehicle Description portion of this report. All vehicles listed in this report were equipped with electronic speed limiters.

Following the fourth acceleration run, each test vehicle continues to accelerate to the top speed attainable within 14 miles from the start of the run. The highest speed attained within the 14 mile distance is the vehicle’s score on the competitive test for top speed.

I'm just curious here because I've heard local deputies here claiming higher numbers than MSP claims as well but the MSP reports seem to refute that. I'm not saying silver is wrong or lying... but there is a contradiction here which is why I asked.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I got a ticket for 120+mph years ago, get a lawyer and expect to pay around $500 and the court will fine you around $400-$600

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
based on my limited experience with them in the driving courses... they feel like more of a drivers car, in that you can make them do what you want it to do, rather than the charger feeling like you have less say so with it wanting to assist you. then again, i like good ol' threshold breaking with no abs, and no power steering, or traction control and determing my own maneuvers with the input i get from the car.

we have hybrid escapes too, lol... definitely not meant to be patrol vehicles. we had a chase a couple months ago and the escape ended up about 5 minutes behind in a 15 minute chase. one of them got outran and left by a ford work van :nonono:
all of our chargers have a hemi... but that may change with the new chief since he came from a department with v6 chargers, and seems to like them. he seems like he'll be an excellent chief though, so i won't complain.

i wouldn't claim a crown vic is fast, but it feels a lot better at speed (in my limited experience with it) and far better on the driving course than the impala. i notice that testing shows brake fade on the impala... it's noticeable. i wish thowed a slalom, and skidpad.
The vic had good torque off the line, the charger is gutless. The impala is a little faster but with an experienced driver on a road course the crown vic will outperform it, ive seen it happen many times during in service. The v8 charger beats them both, but we have had people wreck them going too fast and had issues with the trannys and brakes so my chief got us v6 chargers, one caprice v8 to test (which ive gotten to drive once you cant turn off the stability control completely so i couldnt drive it to its limit) and tahoes. I want a tahoe so bad. Lol at escapes pursuing anything

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member
I'm just curious here because I've heard local deputies here claiming higher numbers than MSP claims as well but the MSP reports seem to refute that. I'm not saying silver is wrong or lying... but there is a contradiction here which is why I asked.

Post #45. Reality, not controlled test.

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
I just got tagged for 109mph the other night and the ticket was only 480 and no court unless i wanted to go say my piece . i said no thank you heres my money im done with it lol nothing on insurance yet. i was cooperative and he was cool for the most part didnt arrest me didnt take my car. knew what i had and let me go but followed me home. he actually saw the motor for my vert top and thought it was nitrous though i lol'd ( i didnt have my rear seat delete in )

RED03SVT

Established Member
I just got tagged for 109mph the other night and the ticket was only 480 and no court unless i wanted to go say my piece . i said no thank you heres my money im done with it lol nothing on insurance yet. i was cooperative and he was cool for the most part didnt arrest me didnt take my car. knew what i had and let me go but followed me home. he actually saw the motor for my vert top and thought it was nitrous though i lol'd ( i didnt have my rear seat delete in )

damn dude where was this

wesessiah

Established Member
Fo sho mofo! My last Vicky (06) would hit that easily and both my Impalas I have had will go way faster.
i should elaborate on what exactly i thought was funny here when i said "lol." in nc, the troopers i know are about like agent k (tommy lee jones) from men in black. so serious that's it's funny, so when i saw the "fo sho mofo" it made me think of agent k when they're going through the tunnel and he starts making the funny noise to the elvis song.
MSP tests each vehicles to speed... per their report all vehicles had limiters.

was that in the first link? or the one you posted with several links that i was too lazy to look through? if the first... i need to rethink my life if i just missed it, lol.
The vic had good torque off the line, the charger is gutless. The impala is a little faster but with an experienced driver on a road course the crown vic will outperform it, ive seen it happen many times during in service. The v8 charger beats them both, but we have had people wreck them going too fast and had issues with the trannys and brakes so my chief got us v6 chargers, one caprice v8 to test (which ive gotten to drive once you cant turn off the stability control completely so i couldnt drive it to its limit) and tahoes. I want a tahoe so bad. Lol at escapes pursuing anything

we've had 3 of the hemi chargers throw a fan through the radiator, but we never had the brake issues i've heard about from other places. we had one hydrolock going through 3 inches (dead serious) of water and spit its guts out of the oil pan.

Users who are viewing this thread