Speeding Ticket 120+mph CA

g00se

I am Second
Established Member
Significantly more than $500.00, 98SaleenSnake.

Excess of 100 MPH stays on your record for 7 years, will hike up your insurance substantially, and will require a mandatory court appearance. They can also consider it a misdemeanor versus traffic violation.

Gotta be smarter than that, buddy. Keep it on the track. Not worth the risk of killing someone (including yourself) or getting caught. Unfortunately, this is pretty severe.

Pepper your angus, good sir.

Well said and agreed. Appreciate the input.

So your defense is you doubt the cop was pacing you because you were checking your mirrors the whole time and you were only at that speed for 30 secs? Were you at 120mph for exactly 30 secs or could have it been closer to 45 secs? What was the total duration you were above the legal speed limit? What time of day was this? Where did the cop car come from? When did you notice him? How many other vehicles were on the road? How close did the cop get before lighting you up?

So how fast were you actually going?

And what vehicle were you driving?

Amazed the officer could pace you at 120+, a Crown Vic or Impala would have been left in the dust. He must have had a Charger or SHO

It was about 2:30am on a straight part of the freeway and I passed one car while I was driving at excessive speed. I spotted the Crown Vic headlights right before he lit me up as he moved from the #2 to the #1 lane. He was probably 6-7 car lengths off when the lights came on and then he moved in another 2 car lengths or so as I began to scrub speed and move towards the closest exit. I'm pretty sure the cop was parked and partially concealed either on the shoulder on an onramp.

Lit me up, all lights blazing. I pulled off the freeway, rolled all 4 windows down, hands on the steering wheel, "permission to open center console sir, glove box...etc." I didn't ask nor was I told the rate of speed till the ticket was issued. He asked how much I had had to drink and performed the Horizontal Gaze test. I had no alcohol in my system whatsoever.

This will be LA County jurisdiction. What should I be aware of as I get into the court and attorney dealings? Are options like plea bargain, taking the ticket under advisement (allowed in LA County?), or obtaining an adjournment, volunteer for traffic school available to me? First priority is to make sure this goes down as a civil infraction and not a traffic misdemeanor. I know a heavy fine is coming and insurance is going up.

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
you were doing 120 and he paced you? might wanna call bullshit on that... if he lies about pacing what else is he lying about ;) ruins his cred. may not work for you but when i got pulled over on my bike i called bullshit and won in the long run (i was going faster than you) took about 5 court cases and didnt cost me a dime... i wanna see that crown vic catch up at 120 (meaning he would have to go 140 plus to catch up) then do 120 for a certain amount of time... and if you were going 120 why would he pace? dangerous and everytime iv been above 20mph over the lights were on instantly pacing was usually used in lesser occurances

SirJAG

Established Member
i got same ticket in San Deigo. was doing around 140mph, and he wrote on the ticket speed in excess of 120mph and said he paced me as best he could because his bike was only good for 130 and i was pulling on him.

funny story:
he was writting another lady a ticket on the side of the road when i came thru 100+. He thought i was buzzing him, but truth be told i never saw the guy. i maintained my speed for several min and only slowed to around 70mph to clear traffic. once i cleared traffic i was back to 140s.

anyways after a couple min of this i slowed down to 65 and was fixing to exit the freeway when he came up on me with lights on.

i pulled over and he drew down on me and cuffed me. he was yelling the whole time "why where you running?" "do you have any drugs/weopons/warrents on you?"

i kept calm and awnsered his questions and after a few moments cooler heads prevailed and i said i never knew you were behind me. he wanted to cite me for evasion and speeding but when his Sgt. arrived and asked him how close he was to me at anytime prior to my pulling over the officer said not less than a mile. The sgt said well we cant prove he was running then.

They wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way.

I appeared in court 3months later in my dress uniform all ready to stand before the judge admit i was an idiot and plead for mercy!

The judge asked me what i pled, and before i could say anything, the Officer looked right over at me and said "son, where is your lawyer?"...i looked at the judge confused and said to the officer " Well i was stupid sir, and was just going to admit it..."

He chuckled, leaned in and said "plead not guility, and then ask for time to get yourself a lawyer. i mean it!"

So i did that, and as the judge walked out, the officer told me i would have lost my licence for a year, possible gotten 30days, and over a $1000 fine from that judge.

I got a lawyer, paid him $400 bucks, and then didnt show up in court, just let my lawyer go.

I was found Guilty, and ordered to pay $500 fine. no jail time or suspension.

When i asked the lawyer why it went down that way and told him with the officer said the first time in court he said is all just a big game man. The judge will go easier on you if he knows you paid me anywhere from 500-1000 bucks.

I also had an oklahoma licence at the time, so it never showed up on my record, and my oklahoma insurance never increased either.

They typically will not arrest you for speeding out in CA unless your being a real exceptional jerk. In my case being a young and dumb kid helped me out quite a bit.

Final word: Get a lawyer and expect around a $500 fine. and hopfully you were not being crazy in your driving, that will matter if the officer tells the judge you were very wreckless and running people off the road all around you. In my case the officer said the opposite. he said that i "def. slowed to clear traffic and then increased speed back to >130mph on several occasions"

good luck bud,
JAG

Last edited:

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
you were doing 120 and he paced you? might wanna call bullshit on that... if he lies about pacing what else is he lying about ;) ruins his cred. may not work for you but when i got pulled over on my bike i called bullshit and won in the long run (i was going faster than you) took about 5 court cases and didnt cost me a dime... i wanna see that crown vic catch up at 120 (meaning he would have to go 140 plus to catch up) then do 120 for a certain amount of time... and if you were going 120 why would he pace? dangerous and everytime iv been above 20mph over the lights were on instantly pacing was usually used in lesser occurances

that's the same question i asked when i got popped in NY like 4 years ago...cop said i was doing 85 in a 55 and he followed me for 4 exits (about 15 miles) and i maintained that speed while he followed me...needless to say i won my case when i fought it...

97snakebite

Established Member
Significantly more than $500.00, 98SaleenSnake.

Excess of 100 MPH stays on your record for 7 years, will hike up your insurance substantially, and will require a mandatory court appearance. They can also consider it a misdemeanor versus traffic violation.

Gotta be smarter than that, buddy. Keep it on the track. Not worth the risk of killing someone (including yourself) or getting caught. Unfortunately, this is pretty severe.

Pepper your angus, good sir.

insurance wont go up that much..i used to be in the ins game..

Like some people said i would get a lawyer.. u might have your lics suspended for 30 days. its only a 2 point hit on your lics. .. Fine might be around 1k.... lucky he didnt impound u

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
insurance wont go up that much..i used to be in the ins game..

Like some people said i would get a lawyer.. u might have your lics suspended for 30 days. its only a 2 point hit on your lics. .. Fine might be around 1k.... lucky he didnt impound u

Exceeding 100 MPH is 2 points on your driving record and can also be deemed "reckless" which would bump it up to a misdemeanor. That would remain in his record for 7 years if it isn't considered reckless. He also may lose his license for up to 1 year which means that he'd have to have it reinstated via a SR-70 after the alloted suspension time is up which stays on your record for 3 years and also goes against you.

Please explain to me how this won't affect his insurance "that much".

Last edited:

97snakebite

Established Member
Exceeding 100 MPH is 2 points on your driving record and can also be deemed "reckless" which would bump it up to a misdemeanor. That would remain in his record for 7 years if it isn't considered reckless. He also may lose his license for up to 1 year which means that he'd have to have it reinstated via a SR-70 after the alloted suspension time is up which stays on your record for 3 years and also goes against you.

Please explain to me how this won't affect his insurance "that much".

at nationwide/allied premiums is based of the point system . This being a 2 pointer would only increase ins. $50 - $100 to a 12 month policy .. I have nationwide and when i got my DUI ( tougher offense ) my premium went up $150 for 12 months but then reduced after that.. what screws people the most when it comes to ins. is accidents

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
at nationwide/allied premiums is based of the point system . This being a 2 pointer would only increase ins. $50 - $100 to a 12 month policy .. I have nationwide and when i got my DUI ( tougher offense ) my premium went up $150 for 12 months but then reduced after that.. what screws people the most when it comes to ins. is accidents

That may possibly be accurate for one person with a smart car and liability with a $350 annual policy through a shitty company, but certainly not for anyone with a sports car (or multiple cars), full coverage, through a reputable company, etc...

What you're saying is the premium will increase by $4-$8 per month, but what you're failing to mention is that it is based off of a percentage of the premium.

This is a serious ticket that was given. Some insurance companies straight refuse to insure people with an exceeding 100 MPH ticket on their record despite whether or not they have any alternate violations here in California.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
So how fast were you actually going?

And what vehicle were you driving?

Amazed the officer could pace you at 120+, a Crown Vic or Impala would have been left in the dust. He must have had a Charger or SHO

Are you kidding me? Both Impala and Crown Vic will do 140+

Wildman113

Established Member
Pacing is a joke.

Unless the cop is right on your bumper and maintains a set distance in order to gauge your speed, it is impossible for him/her to know how fast you were actually going. Which means its not accurate, plain and simple.

Good luck, all you can do is try and beat the game.

jbs$

Established Member
It is best to ignore most of the free advice that you get here, hire the best Lawyer that your pocketbook can afford. Also, remember, in traffic court it is not justice that you are seeking, it is mercy. Good luck.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Pacing is a joke.

Unless the cop is right on your bumper and maintains a set distance in order to gauge your speed, it is impossible for him/her to know how fast you were actually going. Which means its not accurate, plain and simple.

Good luck, all you can do is try and beat the game.

The courts tend to disagree...

JMann2380

Established Member
Get a lawyer that's in good with the county you received the ticket. Pay him well and move on.

As someone mentioned its all a game. And your not invited until you pay the right lawyer!

flS/R

Established Member
It is best to ignore most of the free advice that you get here, hire the best Lawyer that your pocketbook can afford. Also, remember, in traffic court it is not justice that you are seeking, it is mercy. Good luck.

Get a lawyer that's in good with the county you received the ticket. Pay him well and move on.

As someone mentioned its all a game. And your not invited until you pay the right lawyer!

^^these.

so far you were lucky enough to stay out of jail and still have your car. With any more luck you might get through all of this with the help of the right attorney

wesessiah

Established Member
if you feel good going above 100 in one of the impalas on anything other than a perfectly flat, straight strip, more power to you. they don't feel very confident at speed compared to the crown vics or chargers. no idea what the electronic or drag limit is on the speed, but they feel like they're coming off the ground approaching 100. pretty sure our hemi chargers are electronically limited to 145, no idea about the crown vics for drag/electronic limit.
Fo sho mofo! My last Vicky (06) would hit that easily and both my Impalas I have had will go way faster.
lol.
My Vics would do 140, my charger (V6)tops out at around 125.

i never got to use a vic in its prime... we had two when i got here, and both were teetering around 200,000 miles.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
if you feel good going above 100 in one of the impalas on anything other than a perfectly flat, straight strip, more power to you. they don't feel very confident at speed compared to the crown vics or chargers. no idea what the electronic or drag limit is on the speed, but they feel like they're coming off the ground approaching 100. pretty sure our hemi chargers are electronically limited to 145, no idea about the crown vics for drag/electronic limit.

lol.

i never got to use a vic in its prime... we had two when i got here, and both were teetering around 200,000 miles.

Best LEO car ever IMO. I do like the new caprice though. I hate the impalas and I hate my charger, the V6 is terrible.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

I respectfully disagree though the Impala is close. I went back a few years since the Crown Vic has been phased out, but I'd consider this data from the Michigan State Police testing more accurate since it takes place on a closed course and it doesn't rely on a driver to look down at the speedo at 100+ on a public road:

Top Speed of police cars (mph):

Crown Vic PI 4.6L (3.27 gears) - 129
Crown Vic PI 4.6L (3.55 gears) - 120
Charger 3.5L - 137
Charger 5.7L - 146
Impala 3.9L - 139
Tahoe - 133

data from here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...tion_Top_Speed_and_Brake_Testing_304540_7.pdf

Sorry guys, I know you all have a soft spot in your heart for the Crown Vics but they are slow, even the Tahoe was quicker/faster. 250 hp doesn't move a 4500+ lb brick very well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread