Speeding Ticket 120+mph CA

g00se

I am Second
Established Member
Last night, I got pulled over and issued a speeding ticket for doing in excess of 120mph. The issuing officer wrote "paced 120+.." on the ticket. He said he paced me for a 1.5 miles, but I doubt it. I was constantly checking my mirrors and for the whole time (30secs) I was at that speed and when he lit me up, he was moving from the #2 lane to the fast lane. In any case, I have a clean driving record so no other speeding tickets or moving violations. What can I expect as far as fines, court appearance required, insurance rates, etc?

*Update* Ticket finally processed and mailed to me, a mandatory court appearance is required. I haven't decided yet whether I'll get a lawyer or not. Court appearance will be in the next couple weeks.

**Update** The arraignment was Friday. I had not come to terms with counsel and decided at least for the arraignment, I could satisfactorily represent myself. I explained a little of my case to the judge and was granted a continuance of arraignment and a change of court house (from asking around I had heard the court I was assigned to was notoriously strict). However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this approach. To give your attorney every opportunity to earn a favorable ruling for you, hire a good one up front. If I wasn't granted the continuance, I would've plead not guilty and then had a more difficult time getting the trial set up on my terms. A trial by written declaration can be a good way to go (you will absolutely lose), but you can learn what the officer's knowledge of the case is, and then proceed with a trial by novo and be better informed of the other sides arguments. If you want to represent yourself, dress professionally, do your research, listen attentively to pleas of others that go before you and assess the judge, be familiar with law terms, and always use "Your Honor."

To a point mentioned in this thread, my insurance carrier is State Farm; I have one point on my record, and my rep ran a what-if scenario if this ticket were to go on my record. He came back and said I would be refused coverage. In addition, like others have said, the fines for this kind of ticket (22348b) in CA are around $1500 plus suspension of license for 30 days.

**Final Update**After talking to a dozen or so attorneys , I decided to skip counsel and represent myself. The cost of counsel vs the likelihood of getting the ticket reduced seemed skewed the wrong way.

At the arraignment, I asked the judge if he could read the penalties of my citation before entering a plea which he did. $2700 fees, 2 points, 30 license suspended. Then I asked for permission to speak, which he granted. He listened intently as I shared my side and story of the case. The judge spoke privately with the clerk asked the bailiff a copy of my registration, and then asked how I wanted to plea. I plead guilty and sentenced 2 points, 30 day license suspension, and $650 fee, case closed, lesson learned.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
You's gonna get raped boi.

Clean record or not, this is a big problem for you. In all reality, lawyer up.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Significantly more than $500.00, 98SaleenSnake.

Excess of 100 MPH stays on your record for 7 years, will hike up your insurance substantially, and will require a mandatory court appearance. They can also consider it a misdemeanor versus traffic violation.

Gotta be smarter than that, buddy. Keep it on the track. Not worth the risk of killing someone (including yourself) or getting caught. Unfortunately, this is pretty severe.

Pepper your angus, good sir.

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
I got pulled over on my bike doing well over 100 and I ended up paying 500 bucks I didn't even go to court I just paid up.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Here is a reference.. In CA I got pulled over for 70 in a 55 (was seriously a accident not on purpose at all) My ticket was 420 bucks!!! So ya.. Expect to get raped!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow. In Missouri if you're 25+mph over the posted speed limit the officer can take you to jail, take your license, and impound your car. I'd consider yourself lucky and prepare for a not so enjoyable experience in court.

cobra_mer

Established Member
Last night, I got pulled over and issued a speeding ticket for doing in excess of 120mph. The issuing officer wrote "paced 120+.." on the ticket. He said he paced me for a 1.5 miles, but I doubt it. I was constantly checking my mirrors and for the whole time (30secs) I was at that speed and when he lit me up, he was moving from the #2 lane to the fast lane. In any case, I have a clean driving record so no other speeding tickets or moving violations. What can I expect as far as fines, court appearance required, insurance rates, etc?

So your defense is you doubt the cop was pacing you because you were checking your mirrors the whole time and you were only at that speed for 30 secs? Were you at 120mph for exactly 30 secs or could have it been closer to 45 secs? What was the total duration you were above the legal speed limit? What time of day was this? Where did the cop car come from? When did you notice him? How many other vehicles were on the road? How close did the cop get before lighting you up?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So how fast were you actually going?

And what vehicle were you driving?

Amazed the officer could pace you at 120+, a Crown Vic or Impala would have been left in the dust. He must have had a Charger or SHO

Last edited:

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
surprised you didn't lose your license and get arrested...state of massachusetts would've been your address for sure...get a lawyer and hope for the best

question tho...why were you going 120mph???...even for 30 seconds

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
I was young and dumb about 6 years ago going a hair over 100mph... and it was about ~850 dollars and a 30 day suspension of my license.

Good luck.

As others have said... lawyer up.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
zzYou're_screwed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread