SpeedHut Gauge Help

mrose75

Established Member
I ordered a SpeedHut Boost and A/F gauge and a AeroForce to monitor odds and ends. I got the AEM UEGO wideband. I had the A/F sensor installed on driver's side. I started the install following this: It's here, How-to for installation of SpeedHut Gauges and SOS pod with pics
and these:
Wideband ONLY Install video 1 of 2 - YouTube
Wideband ONLY Install video 2 of 2 - YouTube
Once everything was connected, I reconnect the battery and I had power. When I started it up and stepped on the go pedal, none of the gauges moved. The A/F gauge doesn't move, nor does the boost gauge. Additionally, the wideband and AeroForce are on all the time, not just when the ignition is turned over. Am I missing something? Why are my gauges "frozen"? And the fuses I connected to should be switched; 37 and 5 are instrument cluster/traction control and adjustable illumination, respectively. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you add the add-a fuse circuit? When tapping into the fuse panel, those should be used so each gauge has there own fuse. Just a thought.

EDIT: Also make sure your using a good ground.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Somethings not wired correct somewhere. I had a lot of input to Joe when he did that "How to" as I have the same stuff along with a w/b. #37 is dimming/lighting, sounds like you might have some wires hooked up opposite. Are you using the 0-5v analog out from the w/b to the yellow (iirc) wire on the SH gauge?

mrose75

Established Member
Did you add the add-a fuse circuit? When tapping into the fuse panel, those should be used so each gauge has there own fuse. Just a thought.

EDIT: Also make sure your using a good ground.

I did use the add-a-circuit and have two fuses in each. Using the same ground as the How-To; right next to the fuse panel.

Somethings not wired correct somewhere. I had a lot of input to Joe when he did that "How to" as I have the same stuff along with a w/b. #37 is dimming/lighting, sounds like you might have some wires hooked up opposite. Are you using the 0-5v analog out from the w/b to the yellow (iirc) wire on the SH gauge?

I'll double check the positive wires. I have the yellow SH gauge wire connect to the white UEGO wire. Do I need to use the brown analog wire? There is a white wire, gray wire and a white wire. According to the AEM manual I found online:

Gray - RS232 serial
Brown - Sensor ground, connect to power ground if sensor ground is not available
White - Connect to Lambda + input

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
First, send me a install link for the w/b, and I used a different ground direct to the battery. Also, I used a totally different circuit to power the w/b itself (defrost circuit). I can't get to it tonight, but I'll throw some pics and more input up in the AM.

mrose75

Established Member

TRBO VNM

I would have to look at the instructions again, but of the 4 wires from the controller, one goes to the speedhut gauge, 2 are grounded and the 4th is not used in a typical basic install.

mrose75

Established Member
I couldn't seem to find the directions for the AEM. I had everything stacked nice and neatly in my bedroom in the corner until I could find the time to install. My SH Boost gauge shipped with a set of Speedo gauge instructions. I used a picture of instruction that another member posted from his in install, which I found in my first post. I found the link to the AEM instructions by googling the part number for the WB off of the invoice. The link above your post is what I was using for the WB install. Is there some sort of calibration I should be doing for any of these gauges to work?

TRBO VNM

I couldn't seem to find the directions for the AEM. I had everything stacked nice and neatly in my bedroom in the corner until I could find the time to install. My SH Boost gauge shipped with a set of Speedo gauge instructions. I used a picture of instruction that another member posted from his in install, which I found in my first post. I found the link to the AEM instructions by googling the part number for the WB off of the invoice. The link above your post is what I was using for the WB install. Is there some sort of calibration I should be doing for any of these gauges to work?

No calibration on the SH gauges and as long as the gauge you have was setup for the controller, you are fine since they are controller specific.

So the grey you don't use, the brown goes to ground and the white should go to the gauge. I usually tie the brown and black together and ground at same location.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Jason is correct per the link you posted. The white from the w/b will go to the yellow on the gauge for control. I used the defrost circuit to power the w/b (pink/white wire iirc) as shown below. This is not my pic, as I soldered and added a in-line fuse to mine. Make sure you have the correct wires for power and lighting for the gauge.
series2006.jpg

http://www.speedhut.com/instructions/2in_rev_dig_air_fuel_wide_band.pdf

mrose75

Established Member
Thanks fellas. Sorry for the slow response, but I was up at 4AM and going until 6 PM, followed by my son's Tae Kwon Do practice and I have family in town from Germany. Busy!! I did not ground the brown wire, so that could be it, I'll try that tomorrow, time and family permitting and report back.

mrose75

Established Member
Ok, I grounded the brown wire the same place as the power ground for the WB is grounded (this picture was before I grounded the brown wire, top left):
3eaceeb6d28f6fbfaaa99ae550412d99_zps81b1fab2.jpg

Still no movement on the dial, but I am getting a fault now. On start up I get 7 flashes of the status light, which means system voltage below 10 VDC. Corrective action is to "check electrical system for good connections and proper function." Any reason that ground isn't good?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Try the battery with just a long jumper wire first before routing one. I tried a chassis ground at first and my shit didn't work as well, slow and all over the place.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Did you double check the gauge power and lighting wiring to make sure you didn't get it crossed up? When you turn the key on the gauge should cycle iirc, and does the gauge lighting work?

mrose75

Established Member
Ok, I figured it out. After running a ground to the battery and seeing the same effects I decided to check the fuses to see if any had popped. It turns out I failed to add a fuse on the add-a-circuit for gauge power, I'm such a :loser: I had illumination, but the needles didn't move but the gauge itself had no power:bash:. Thanks for all the input, I hope I didn't put anybody out of too much effort by my stupidity.

I got it all buttoned up and running now. Thanks again!
00f9991e0d4016f98ae82a3877c77f7c_zpsf0be3626.jpg

f32dc1d5a02b8d91ea25f14ce43a7579_zps9c6b2c4e.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Cool, not check to see why the a/f isn't around 14.7 at idle. Seems the vac is around 20 which good, mines idles about 22 in.

mrose75

Established Member
I know my A/F is jacked! Never really finalized my tune from the Stage V Eaton that went on because I got put on assignment to Kansas with short notice followed by a trip to Afghanistan within 60 days of moving. My wife bought me a Whipple while I was gone, so ordered the gauges and stuff when I got back in April. Between leave, finishing up school, and time with the family, and getting uber busy at work again, I'm just getting around to the install. Plan on trying to do the Whipple over the Labor Day weekend. Thanks for all the help on this, even though it was a blunder on my part. While researching I saw your posts all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread