Spark blug blew out??? help.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Ok. Yesterday I raced an IS-F I downshifted to 2nd at about 50 and coasted down to catch him so we could run....no problems. Then I went to get dinner, then home. Car ran fine.

Then all of a sudden at a stop light, under grandma shifting and acceleration (maybe shifted at 2500) it starts missing.

Long story short, I pulled the coil covers and saw that #2 coil pack was destroyed with the spark plug out of the cylinder and still attached to the coil pack. Came right out...The threads were a little chewed up and the top part of the plug was pressed against the electrode. The electrode wasn't broke or damaged. No oil anywhere.

So I replaced the plug and coil pack, car runs fine. The plug went back in fine after the first two turns and I got it as tight as I could. No smoke at all. Oil pressure is fine too.

Was this a fluke or is there something wrong?

What caused this?

Thanks.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Geez, that sucks. Sounds like it is time for you to get those plug inserts I read about a while back on this site.

Juruense

Banned
Well, it sounds like a couple threads were left. Just enough to tighten the plug onto. But there are only four threads there to start with so... yeah...

You really should at least get a borescope and examine the remaining threads and the combustion chamber. Was any materail missing from the plug that could have flown into the chamber?

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Well, it sounds like a couple threads were left. Just enough to tighten the plug onto. But there are only four threads there to start with so... yeah...

You really should at least get a borescope and examine the remaining threads and the combustion chamber. Was any materail missing from the plug that could have flown into the chamber?

If there was it was microscopic and it's already in there....I am changing the oil.

There was a piece of rubber missing from the coil boot but I don't think it got in there...it may have come out when I pulled it out.

I will post some pics.

67couggt

Established Member
I had that exact same thing happen on my 2000 gt. I thought I was ok after reinstalling the plug. Blew out again after 6 months. Threads were totally gone this time, I ended up buying the timesert kit http://www.timesert.com and installing to fix the problem.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Damn sounds like you where a lucky one
Check them spark plug often. Sounds like you got
lucky and it just backed out!

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
I had that exact same thing happen on my 2000 gt. I thought I was ok after reinstalling the plug. Blew out again after 6 months. Threads were totally gone this time, I ended up buying the timesert kit http://www.timesert.com and installing to fix the problem.

how hard was it to install? I'm sure you had to pull the heads???

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is one of the shortcomings of the stock factory heads which have 4 threads (some '04s got 7 threads). Couple that with frequent changing of plugs and the cross threading risk and you have the potential this very thing happening. The only cure is going the timesert route (least expensive) or install the latest heads which have 7 threads.

Juruense

Banned
This is one of the shortcomings of the stock factory heads which have 4 threads (some '04s got 7 threads). Couple that with frequent changing of plugs and the cross threading risk and you have the potential this very thing happening. The only cure is going the timesert route (least expensive) or install the latest heads which have 7 threads.
There is no such thing as a seven thread head its either four or nine and no 04's came with anything but four threads because the revised head was not available until 2005. Also the blue stripe mean nothing. :beer:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
who installed these plugs ? wondering if they were overtightened ? good thing the OP was able to get the car going again but I think it will come back worse as another stated.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is no such thing as a seven thread head its either four or nine and no 04's came with anything but four threads because the revised head was not available until 2005. Also the blue stripe mean nothing. :beer:

Oops! Brain fart. You are correct. It is 9, not 7. I should have check my own FAQ page. :lol1:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Actually there were some '04s that had 9 thread heads. There was a well documented thread over a year ago with photos to prove it. I saved the photos. Initially everyone was saying "no way". Then a couple of guys checked their heads and it appeared that they did have 9 thread heads. But it wasn't until someone did this test that we were convinced. Check it out. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092462

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
who installed these plugs ? wondering if they were overtightened ? good thing the OP was able to get the car going again but I think it will come back worse as another stated.

I installed the plugs, but almost a full year ago. And after hard driving they have been fine....so I am thinking I didn't tighten them hard enough.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

I'm sorry but that is wrong. There was more than one revision to these heads.

My production date is January(Mystichrome run) and I have the 9 thread heads. I am currently under the impression, from talking to 04 owners, that MOST of the 04s had the "more threads heads".

The Jan 05 revision involved the improved guide cooling compared to the 04 heads, but compared to the 03 heads the improvement also included more threads.

So you can see why it would be easy to get the 04s and the 05 Aviator(the last production vehicle to use these heads) revision heads confused.

To the OP, I would look into timeserts, or if you are just rolling in money, put a set of revised replacement heads on.

Don't get the FR500 heads since they are designed, targeted, and better suited for NA applications. In fact the FR500c race cars don't even use them, they use Ford GT heads with a special narrow NA intake to allow the use of a wider 5.4 head on a 4.6 sized block.

If it was me I would do the timeserts.

Users who are viewing this thread