sound tube delete

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
I used a long 1/4" flex extension and a swivel with a deep socket. I switched between that and a ratchet wrench. It took a while because you only have so much room to turn it. I got mine off with the strut brace still on.

thehunterooo

Established Member
ahh I see you have the cowl bar too, that gives me hope! I will give that a shot in the morning. I also had just gotten home and my car was hot (I have the chrome coil covers), that was not fun.....

TheSocomSniper

Established Member
I used a long 1/4" flex extension and a swivel with a deep socket. I switched between that and a ratchet wrench. It took a while because you only have so much room to turn it. I got mine off with the strut brace still on.

I also took my strut tower brace off to get to it, slow turns and patience is the key to get the nut lol

thehunterooo

Established Member
I am going to attempt this again Friday! This thing must go!

I really do not understand this tube though, it is just a joke on so many levels. It adds nothing to the car, the part costs Ford money and who knows how they get it in there on assembly, also adds clutter and adds weight technically.

smittybat

Established Member
Just yank it out. I saw somebody recommend that method and it works. Disconnect from the intake and the strut tower and pull up and towards the front of the car and with a bit of coercion, it'll stretch around the nut holding it in at the firewall and come right off. The hardest part was getting the plug into the hole in the firewall.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Just yank it out. I saw somebody recommend that method and it works. Disconnect from the intake and the strut tower and pull up and towards the front of the car and with a bit of coercion, it'll stretch around the nut holding it in at the firewall and come right off. The hardest part was getting the plug into the hole in the firewall.

Just did this today, for some reason it yanks out from the nut quite easily. Didn't even have to take anything else out haha (except my chrome valve cover, super hot). It is so nice that it is gone but what a pain it is.

I had someone try to put the plug in but it is too small it seems, might have to duct tape it on until I find another solution. The plug came from the boomba racing, it is like a 1 3/16 or something.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Just did this today, for some reason it yanks out from the nut quite easily. Didn't even have to take anything else out haha (except my chrome valve cover, super hot). It is so nice that it is gone but what a pain it is.

I had someone try to put the plug in but it is too small it seems, might have to duct tape it on until I find another solution. The plug came from the boomba racing, it is like a 1 3/16 or something.

Did you not read this thread and see the pic I posted with the part number from your local auto parts store????? I did this to my s550 so I know it works.

thehunterooo

Established Member
i think ford did it for this the sound tube delete threads are too funny

That is possible this thing pissed me off, I enjoyed throwing this piece of junk in the trash though. I was going to weigh it but I was in rage mode and forgot to haha.

I bought that one gasket just have to get it on with my helper. I am not sure why venders are selling kits that have the wrong sized pieces :(

Edit: I picked up the 42098 gasket at autozone and it seems to be just a bit too big as a side is always sticking out just a bit, if it doesn't fall out it should be fine I think. Will get some pics up Monday.

Last edited:

16DIBGT

In case anyone is interested, the 2016 has a bushing on it and it won't just stretch over the nut.
480098bd1e8ee67742d3ebf0b2d52db5.jpg

My question now is what is everyone using to plug the hole on the intake side of things?

Last edited:

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
My 2015 had that same bushing. On the intake, you can use rubber furniture leg tips from Lowe's is where I found mine. I believe the size is 1 1/4", someone correct me if I'm wrong.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that the 2015+ sound tube delete uses a 1.25" or 1.5" rubber foot on the intake tube? If my mother-in-law was around I'd just steal one off her walker. :D

Users who are viewing this thread