sound tube delete

scott_0

Established Member
^^ haha that's where I got the info when I did mine! I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a deep 10mm socket to remove the nut from that unusually long stud, felt like it was taking forever to get it off smh

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Venumous

Established Member
Mine must have the bushing. There is no way it's getting yanked out of there. I'm 6'2", 215, its not moving.

strengthrehab

Established Member
Unsnap it from the strut brace to get some slack and pull that bish out. It will come out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Venumous

Established Member
I was able to snap the plastic ring portion around the bolt. I was also able to remove a large portion of skin from my thumb in the process when it let go. Wear gloves if you are going to snap it off! I don't know how the hell you guys got a 10mm ratchet wrench on there unless you have 13" arms. IMG_2961.jpg

thehunterooo

Established Member
I was able to snap the plastic ring portion around the bolt. I was also able to remove a large portion of skin from my thumb in the process when it let go. Wear gloves if you are going to snap it off! I don't know how the hell you guys got a 10mm ratchet wrench on there unless you have 13" arms. View attachment 71668

Nice at least it is gone now :beer:

gt500_sti_guy

Established Member
I was able to snap the plastic ring portion around the bolt. I was also able to remove a large portion of skin from my thumb in the process when it let go. Wear gloves if you are going to snap it off! I don't know how the hell you guys got a 10mm ratchet wrench on there unless you have 13" arms. View attachment 71668

Proper tools. Freaking hell you beat yourself up good

Venumous

Established Member
Proper tools. Freaking hell you beat yourself up good

I have several thousand dollars worth of tools and have done Whipples, Prochargers, headers, transmissions, etc. I still would like to see how someone goes about doing this in 5 minutes and what tools were used. If I'm not bleeding I probably haven't worked on a car recently though, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I saw how it was connected on mine and said to myself. "self, you can't fit your hand in there".. So I pulled with all I could and just tore it out. This bolt looked right up there with the "bitch bolt" on my old Terminator bell housing.

gt500_sti_guy

Established Member
I have several thousand dollars worth of tools and have done Whipples, Prochargers, headers, transmissions, etc. I still would like to see how someone goes about doing this in 5 minutes and what tools were used. If I'm not bleeding I probably haven't worked on a car recently though, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

I had several ways i could have gotten it off but i managed with just a 1/4 stubby, swivel, extension and medium depth socket. I also went at it from the side not front of the car. My arms arent small either. But i can assure you a couple grand in tools is not all the proper tools of the trade. When youve been a master tech for 3 decades you pick up a lot of tricks of the trade that Diy people dont have also

Last edited:

Venumous

Established Member
I saw how it was connected on mine and said to myself. "self, you can't fit your hand in there".. So I pulled with all I could and just tore it out. This bolt looked right up there with the "bitch bolt" on my old Terminator bell housing.

HAHA, nice chat. I'm with you.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
FWIW, I also did this..

Cut the resonator off of the intake. For no other reason than it looks bad.

IMG_20160804_180301.jpg

Replaced it with this and a zip tie.

IMG_20160804_180346.jpg

Final product...

IMG_20160804_180620.jpg

scott_0

Established Member
^^ I may do that tonight after work!

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

wjfawb0

Established Member
I removed mine over the weekend. It was an exercise in finger dexterity for me.

I removed the sound tube from my 2015 GT. The exhaust is plenty loud with the resonator cut out. The 10mm locknut is difficult to get at. I used a swivel headed ratchet wrench and my fingertips along with a pry bar to hold the ratchet on the nut. It was easier from under the car. I believe most folks use a longer wrench from the top. I was able to put a 1/8 of a turn on the nut at a time. A great way to end your day.

I plugged the firewall with a Dorman 42098 master cylinder gasket and the intake with a 1.125" rubber tip meant for a walker or metal chair or cane. There are several youtube videos out there.

s550_sound_tube_7.jpg

s550_sound_tube_3.jpg

s550_sound_tube_4.jpg

blackgasguzzler

Established Member
Hey guys, quick question to piggy back on this thread. I just got an S550, and haven't had a chance to explore.

Does this chassis still have a cylindrical foam piece on the firewall side, inside of the end of the sound tube? I removed it when from my old car when it was still stock and got a lot more noise. May want to try the same with this thing, if it's possible, before yanking out the sound tube altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread