Sound deadening your cobra: Part I'm-actually-doing-it

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I think the option is a good idea. I just would hate to have to climb under the car and change it out. I see that getting old real quick!

Now if I had a lift (or access to one) then it would be a different story.

with the ball flange, its maybe a 20 minute swap.

I don't drive the car much (not my daily), so thats not a big deal.

I'd have to find some tailpipes though.

dec322

Established Member
with the ball flange, its maybe a 20 minute swap.

I don't drive the car much (not my daily), so thats not a big deal.

I'd have to find some tailpipes though.

I got a set of used SLP pipes off of the exhaust forum. Post an ad and see what happens. When you do it then you should post your work. GL

NXSVTCOBRA

Im considering it. They are pretty cheap, and mine is looking a little ratty (and quite frankly, embarrassingly stained in some spots (i don't know how the coke spots got there).

Im just not sure that they fit and attach the same way. That last thing I want to do is have to cut, and glue carpet.

If you have a pressure washer it works great, to blast it and set it out to dry. I do with for all of the filthy repo's I buy.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I hate bumping threads this old, but QUAD - how did all the sound deadening go? Did you get it done? Thoughts

Quadcammer

Established Member
I sure did. I've had it in there for about 3 weeks. At first, it didn't seem to do much, but after a few days, it did seem to quiet the exhaust down. Its still super loud, but it doesn't annoy you quite as much on long drives. It has also made the rear feel more solid, with no squeeks, rattles, or creaks. While I wasn't sure what to expect, and frankly hoped for more, with the stuff that I did, I think it is worth it.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I sure did. I've had it in there for about 3 weeks. At first, it didn't seem to do much, but after a few days, it did seem to quiet the exhaust down. Its still super loud, but it doesn't annoy you quite as much on long drives. It has also made the rear feel more solid, with no squeeks, rattles, or creaks. While I wasn't sure what to expect, and frankly hoped for more, with the stuff that I did, I think it is worth it.

ok, cool...I just figured if anyone was going to give an objective opinion (leaning towards looking for something not to like about it :) ), you would.

I appreciate it....might be something I try and do this winter.

Thanks again.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
4. This stuff better work cause this is a long and tedious job.

lol

How expensive is the stuff compared to other products? Any reason you decided to use this product?

I've thought about doing this with my car as well. I bought the car when I was a teenager and didn't care at the time how noisy it was but as I get older its really starting to annoy me...

SN8KBYTE

Established Member
lol

How expensive is the stuff compared to other products? Any reason you decided to use this product?

I've thought about doing this with my car as well. I bought the car when I was a teenager and didn't care at the time how noisy it was but as I get older its really starting to annoy me...

Same here! Just want to have a conversation with the wife without spitting all over her from yelling because of exhaust/road noise. Very curious as to what was spent to obtain serenity? Quad, care to give us a ball patk figure on what was spent and how long it took you?

Quadcammer

Established Member
sure.

I used about 90 square feet of material at $2 per sq ft. The roller was $12

Pulling the interior is ridiculously easy and took maybe 1 hour and 45 minutes including the seats, console, and carpet. From there, I spent maybe 8 hours laying the product down, including cleaning, and in the trunk. Interior reinstall took maybe 2 hours at most.

So, this could pretty easily be completed in a weekend. Its not hard, just a bit tedious.

I used this product as it was recommended by 01 vert as he seemed to know what he was talking about with this stuff.

dec322

Established Member
Very curious as to what was spent to obtain serenity?

This is such a hard question to answer because the results are so subjective. I wouldn't label the ensolite as a standalone product producing serenity. I'm sure it helps better than nothing and it is definitely good that Quad is satisfied with his results but I would look into adding more products if you want to reach "serenity". I'd lay a little bit of damping product, then a filtering product (ensolite), then a barrier product where I could. Of course, money is the limiting factor.

01vert

Established Member
Agreed with dec about a combination approach for the best reduction. However, many have put just a mass loading product (peel and seal, dynomat, hushmat, fatmat, etc) and dont see a significant reduction in road noise with this alone. I recommended the ensolite product (teklite) as it acts more to absorb higher frequency noise and many people would not spend the time to put down 3 or more layers of a mass loading product to get significant noise reduction.
The fact that Quad has dumps is the limiting factor to me. Without some sort of compromise to the exhaust system I dont see any further reduction in noise just through outside means.

Like most mods, money IS the limiting factor.

Quad, I would still recommend multiple layers of ensolite and then carpet padding under the rear seat. With the dumps about there, the more reflected noise captured there may result in more noise reduction. I know for me at least, when I ran without my back seat, my car was significantly louder. Just the factory foam pad in the rear seat bottom took some of the noise away.

Feel bad that the ensolite didnt get you where you were trying to go. Noise tolerance is a huge subjective, and small gains can be measured by some while others need large gains to make it worthwhile.

Good luck.

dec322

Established Member
I agree with mass loading products not cutting it. Especially for reducing road noise. If I were going to put just one product in my car I would go for a barrier. Something that is a combination of foam (closed or open celled) and vinyl (second skin offers Luxury Liner or Luxury Liner Pro). I would definitely recommend layers especially if only one product is used.

I think it would be awesome to see more of these types of threads on the boards...but most people with these kinds of cars are not interested in killing noise. Just making it:pepper:

Quadcammer

Established Member
I think there are two ways things are going with these cars:

1. I think the prices have dropped to a point where these cars are pretty easily affordable by college, or even high school kids (with a small loan or parental assistance). These are the guys making threads about louder exhaust, bolt ons, racing, etc.

2. Then there is the crew of folks who have owned the car for a while (since 00 for myself), and we've kind of done all the performance stuff already, and we are growing out of the "i must have the loudest, fastest, most extreme car on the road" attitutde, and are trying to keep good performance without some of the drawbacks.

I think the 2nd bunch is very interested in this thread.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I think the 2nd bunch is very interested in this thread.

Yep....I've had 5 mustangs at all kinds of performance levels. At this point, while I intend on doing the motor once it goes, I'm looking more at the "details" that ford should have taken care of to make the car better more than anything else.

01vert

Established Member
I am actually trying to do the "detalis" thing too. Common sense stuff Ford should have done to make the Cobra a better car. Subframes, sound deadening, interior dress up etc. The cheap base of a v6 car shows through in a lot of places on a Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread