Sound deadening your cobra: Part I'm-actually-doing-it

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Ok, so I got 2 full layers down on the floor, and put the carpet back in. Its a little poofy in some spots, but if fit back in fairly decent. I got the center console back in, and the kick panels. The carpet needs some more cleaning so I haven't done anything with the front seats. I also have some down in the trunk, but the complex shapes are giving me fits in terms of cutting it out. Pain in the ass for sure.

01vert

Established Member
Quad, cuut small pieces to fill in the little bumps and valleys that are in the trunk pan, that way you can layer a flatter large piece over that. Hope you understand what I mean, it can make it easier than trying to force the stuff into the smaller grooves and depressions.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Quad, cuut small pieces to fill in the little bumps and valleys that are in the trunk pan, that way you can layer a flatter large piece over that. Hope you understand what I mean, it can make it easier than trying to force the stuff into the smaller grooves and depressions.

I know the trunk interior panels are a tight fit, so how much should i really be putting in the trunk area?

thanks for your help

Quadcammer

Established Member
ok, another update.

I got two layers under the rear seat, behind the top cylinders, and behind the Mach speaker enclosure.

I put the front seats back in and so far everything is going together pretty well.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.

01vert

Established Member
Quad, when I was talking about the trunk I meant the trunk floor. It has a bunch of small depressions and channels which appear to be for stiffening the sheetmetal. Putting small pieces in these just makes it easier to lay a single top layer in one sheet than forcing it into the smaller grooves and possibly having it pull out of them.
As for the trunk panels, to me the only one that is important is the panel between the trunk and the vert top area. Doubtful you can get any ensolite in the edges of it but the body could stand a layer or two just to help stop transmitted noise. The trunk can amplify sounds as it can act as a resonating chamber (roughly). You can see this when people point a sub backwards and it actually increses the volume of the sub to the interior compartment. I also plan a trunk lid interior panel to cover the butyl that I put on the lid. That however was more for the planned sub in the trunk not leaking noise to the outside as it was to quiet noise like you are trying to do.

Get some more pics!

dec322

Established Member
I am assuming it's just as loud as before. That sucks. Add this to the list of mod I regret

Have you done also done this?

Exhaust noise is hard to reduce. I didn't think a filter product would do enough. Quad, are you planning on adding to it or just forget about it.

Quadcammer

Established Member
well, let me elaborate.

The car feels much more solid, no rattling or anything. The gear noise from the spherical LCA bushings is far reduced. The exhaust is still quite loud. Its probably a bit quieter, but its not exactly my Sclass.

I figured it would do more, but I can't say Im disappointed. It wasn't too expensive and it didn't take that long to do.

I don't regret doing it at all, but I had hoped for a bit more noise reduction.

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
Have you done also done this?

Exhaust noise is hard to reduce. I didn't think a filter product would do enough. Quad, are you planning on adding to it or just forget about it.

No I haven't.

Thanks for the write up Quadcammer. I was hoping you said it made a big difference. I like the fact the it has less rattles and squeeks

Quadcammer

Established Member
I think I may need to go back to tailpipes to make the biggest difference. The dumps are pretty brutal.

I think that a set of ball flanges right after the tailpipes so I can switch between dumps and tailpipes would be a good idea.

01vert

Established Member
Quad, I assumed that you would be disappointed with the amount of reduction as you have had some nice cars in the past with good deadening. Dumps are worst case scenario for noise IMO. Why not just get a decent set of tails? I woud assume no HP loss and a lot of reduction.

dec322

Established Member
Quad, I assumed that you would be disappointed with the amount of reduction as you have had some nice cars in the past with good deadening. Dumps are worst case scenario for noise IMO. Why not just get a decent set of tails? I woud assume no HP loss and a lot of reduction.

Agreed. What is the point of dumps? Sound and looks? I've always like the looks of dumps on sn95 but I love a good set of tails on the new edges.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
dumps of my full exaust 01 could wake the dead...dumps suck bro. I ran them for 3 months and had to put the flow tubes on. Significant noise difference in the cabin. I imagine with the sound deading and some flow tubes you would be alot more satisfied.

-Ryan

Quadcammer

Established Member
well, its kinda lame, but with the dumps, I get a lot more cam lope, and the car actually shakes at idle. I like it. Goes away with the tailpipes.

I think having the option of tail pipes is a good idea, but I like it louder when I take the car out for serious drives.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
It's amazing the difference a set of tails make in quieting the exhaust. I have dumps for now but it to loud for driving long distances IMO. I'm looking at a set of 3'' Magnaflow tips to go on in the near future.

dec322

Established Member
I think having the option of tail pipes is a good idea, but I like it louder when I take the car out for serious drives.

I think the option is a good idea. I just would hate to have to climb under the car and change it out. I see that getting old real quick!

Now if I had a lift (or access to one) then it would be a different story.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Looking forward to the final impressions / results...
Considering doing this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread