Sound deadening your cobra: Part I'm-actually-doing-it

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Ok, so I got my Teklite EV4 or whatever its called. Pretty nice product. Its thin but dense, it sticks great, and is easy to work with. The car, on the other hand, is the pain in the ass with all the little dips, nooks, weird angles and other nonsense. However, in one afternoon I managed to get the interior out, and get at least one layer on the floor/trans tunnel.

Some pics below:

P9140493.jpg

P9140495.jpg

P9140494.jpg

P9140492.jpg

P9140496.jpg

P9140497.jpg

P9140498.jpg

Thats where I ended for the night.

So, in summary.

1. The interior comes out very quickly. Not much to it at all.

2. You can certainly tell its a $16,000 car shell. The amount of factory noise deadening is embarrassing.

3. My carpet was really dirty in some spots I didn't think of.

4. This stuff better work cause this is a long and tedious job.

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Looks very nice. I need to do this myself. Only reason im hesitant is when i had to replace my E-brake boot it took me damn near 1 1/2 hours just to get the the console over the ebrake. otherwise everything else is a breeze

Quadcammer

Established Member
Looks good. Are you gonna replace the carpet while you have it out?

Im considering it. They are pretty cheap, and mine is looking a little ratty (and quite frankly, embarrassingly stained in some spots (i don't know how the coke spots got there).

Im just not sure that they fit and attach the same way. That last thing I want to do is have to cut, and glue carpet.

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
Im considering it. They are pretty cheap, and mine is looking a little ratty (and quite frankly, embarrassingly stained in some spots (i don't know how the coke spots got there).

Im just not sure that they fit and attach the same way. That last thing I want to do is have to cut, and glue carpet.

go to stockinteriors.com they got prefitted carpet for cheap

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member

I know when I replaced the carpet in my fox body it was a direct replacement.

Just had to lay it out in the sun for a few hours to soften up.

Quadcammer

Established Member
go to stockinteriors.com they got prefitted carpet for cheap

does it still have the white plastic clips that hold it to the door sills?

how about the holes for the clips.

What does it do about the crossover under the parking brake assembly?

dec322

Established Member
Is the carpet just stained or is it really worn out? If it is just stains, I'd rather clean it.

You don't have to wait for it to come in and you don't have to second guess if it will fit.

I can't wait to hear the results.

01vert

Established Member
Quad, can you estimate how much you used in the one pass on your floor?

Just noticed, do you have one poorass looking wire running from the front to the rear along the drivers side sill outside of the wiring loom? I have something like that is why I am wondering.

What did you prep the metal surface with?

Did you take the felt looking layer out from under the rear seat? If you look at that as a template you can get the same material cheap from Home deopt or Lowes and make multiple layers under the seat. With your dumps, you are gonna need everything you can get. The stuff is cheap too.

Thanks for writing this up, and the amount of sound deadening on these cars is pretty poor from the factory.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
How many layers are you planning putting down?
2 layers.

Quad, can you estimate how much you used in the one pass on your floor?

Just noticed, do you have one poorass looking wire running from the front to the rear along the drivers side sill outside of the wiring loom? I have something like that is why I am wondering.

What did you prep the metal surface with?

Did you take the felt looking layer out from under the rear seat? If you look at that as a template you can get the same material cheap from Home deopt or Lowes and make multiple layers under the seat. With your dumps, you are gonna need everything you can get. The stuff is cheap too.

Thanks for writing this up, and the amount of sound deadening on these cars is pretty poor from the factory.

Um, I would say about 13 feet per side, including going up the back wall, and getting to about the pedal area.

I cleaned the surface with invisible glass (don't laugh, it works great), and then used some prepsol. No problems with the adhesive at all.

I did take the felt layer out.

Im not sure I want to load up under the seats. I think im just going to try to do a really good job under the rear seats.

Oh, and the hollow cavity that seperates the floor pan from the rear seats (the "hump" if you will) is problematic. Im thinking I need some foam in there to keep it from vibrating like crazy.

Quadcammer

Established Member
01 Vert, that red wire is the upgraded power wire for my fuel pump. Not a ford installed wire.

I had thought you sold the Cobra and gotten a MB or something. Nice to see you still got it around.

I tried to sell it, had several buyers flake out in the late stages of the game. Got fed up with it, so I kept it and bought an S class for the hell of it.

01vert

Established Member
Quad,

If you mean the side to side beam in the front of the rear seat, you could fill this with the expanding foam. For stopping a panel from rattling or creating vibration, butyl mat will work better than the product you have which mostly abosrbs noise.

Be careful with the foam and apply over several treatments because if you add too much at a time, the middle does not solidfy immediately and can take days to cure, expanding the whole while. Better off putting in a one or two inch layer and then waiting a day or two and applying again. Low expanding works best. Many high end cars use it in windshield pillars and lower bracing for sound deadening.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Just wondering how much material did you buy? I plan on doing this myself in the winter.

Quadcammer

Established Member
I bought 100 square feet. I think it will be enough, but just barely.

01 vert, thats kinda what I was thinking.

Any recommended brands?

01vert

Established Member
For the foam? no recommended, just get the low expanding. Home depot or Lowes has "great stuff" brand usually. If you plan on using the can more than once make sure you get a piece of wire to clean out the nozzle hose as it gets gunked up after use.

Biggest thing I have ever seen is some trying to do too thick of a layer at once and the middle taking forever to dry and the foam expands all the while, ruining stuff. I have done about 1-2 ins thick at a time with about 24 hours drying time. Doing the beam should be easy, tape up the forward holes, add, then after the first treatment you could put the seat back and just add by removing the rear bottom and using the holes in the beam or making a couple small ones in the top/side.

As for total mass under the seat, look for that same felt type material at Lowes when you buy the foam. WIth a couple inches of that stuff under your back seat should be as noise free as it is going to get. You could get 3M 77 spray adhesive at Walmart and layer this stuff together before adding it to make sure it packs well. Like I said before the felt will only add about $12 bucks maybe to the bill and will help (but is bulky). If you have it, the spare ensolite could be used on the rear trim panel in the trunk so the trunk doesnt act as an echo chamber towards the front of the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread