Something went wrong

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Well have had not one issue out of the car and last night a major setback but minor damage (I hope). Talking junk yadda yadda against a guy with a vette so I bring the snake out in the cold to do a little damage for a few dollars.
Leave and all is well. About 2-3 cars in front of the vette and still stepping away in 3rd gear I snatch 4th. Somewhere around the 4500 rpm mark a strong shutter hits the rear and sends a vibration all through the car. Felt like it the back of the car just came apart. I'm looking at the finish line (about 1/8 mile to go more likely less) so I stay in it (money on the line) through 4th and go to 5th. Once I shift 5th and cross the marked point I go to 6th and let the motor slow itself down.
Car felt like it was vibration city even the front steering had terrible shaking in it. Wasn't uncontrollable but car felt like a ford festiva being pulled down the road at 150 (nothing worst than being towed faster than a car can go). Back down to 60 mph the shaking is gone and the vibration has ceased to exist. So I know it can't be major. But while limping it back home under acceleration I can hear the rear end whining. Let off the gas and it goes away. Give the slightest throttle and you can hear the whine comeback.

So far these are possible solutions that have been given to me because I have to get it down to the shop and up on the lift.

1. Weights on the wheels blew off and car has a major balance problem (TF 5 stars, 315/30/20s Toyo 888) no way am I that lucky

2. Driveshaft loose, weight came off, UJ came apart. (Dynatech 3.5 aluminum)

3. LCA bushing came apart and let the rear move. ( looks fine and didnt feel any shaking while going back to the house)

4. UCA nut may have backed off and lost the pinion setting and now the angle is letting NVH throught the car. (Would be nice if that was the reason, easiest fix there is)

5 The rear end has some internal damage and needs to be checked out which means the car needs to be returned back to stock since everything on it is aftermarket for warranty. (doubt warranty will help since all the mods)

6. Trans had something go wrong and the shutter is coming through the drivetrain but trans is the culprit( still shifts great so can't be that)

Anyone want to chime in will be much appreciated because I won't have the time to mess with it until the weekend. Car has been topped out at 6200rpm in 5th many times and smooth as glass. This just came out of nowhere and sickens me because it rides worst than my 94 T Bird at 80mph. Hopefully nothing was damaged

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Get under it and take a look yourself, you'll be able to identify all of those except the tranny and diff without checking their oils or cracking them open...

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Whine usually = ring and pinion. Keep us posted, could def be something interesting.

And you never did confirm that you crossed the line first :)

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
its what holds the TPMS (tire pressure moniter system) to the wheel. In the 07-09 models they are banded to the wheel and the newer models they are in the valve stem

Users who are viewing this thread