Which rear end are you running?

• IRS

Votes: 349 77.4%
  • Solid Axle

Votes: 102 22.6%

• Total voters

silvercoffin

Established Member

If you already went to a solid rear why go back?

The cobra IRS is nothing special. I dont auto x my car at all, but on the street I noticed very little difference between my 01gt and the 03 cobra as far as handling.. the cobra is a bit faster around the corners, but the wheel hop sucked when it was stock...

I am still not 100% sure about my set up. I have a snubber level 2 axles and irs brace. I had an eaton rear, but it was discovered that that was the cause of my leaking rear. Now I am back to the ford rear and back to occasional one tire burnouts and uhhhh....

Does Eaton or anyone make a locking rear for this car?

Last edited:

Tide612

Banned
I know but i just want the handling back in the car alittle bit. There is a difference between the handling of a solid and a irs. I dont go to the track as much as i did b4 and i want the nice ride back. just pondering the thought again.

03 DSG Snake said:
Trying to judge how many people have made the swap.. I'm about an inch away as of this posting :pepper:

I choose to stick w/ the IRS. I installed the steeda IRS diff cover brace, which i would not recommend, because the top bolt is a royal pain in the pooper. i had to remove the cross member, and remove the abs sensors to drop the diff low enough to get the top bolt in. the billet flow or moto blue are better choices. as they don't have the top bolt of which i speak. I installed steeda irs polly bushings, and the steeda polly subframe bushings which were another royal pain in the squisher.

Wheel hop is almost gone. it's still there a tiny bit, and it is most noticeable when the wheels are just starting to loose traction. If i grip it's fine, and if i bake em it's fine, but just when they are about to break loose is when the hop comes, and it is very mild compared to what it was.

ride quality was not affected by the harder polly bushings. At least not that i noticed.

I have a 2003 10th anniversary terminator w/ about 3200 miles on it, so i just couldn't bring myself to swap out the rear end. I don't want to modify the car in a way that it can't be easily returned to stock form. i didn't even drill the hole in the inside of the fender to install my K&N fipk kit. So in sticking with my path, that also means no sub frame connectors also since they require welding and no irs subframe plates. I plan on using bolt on strut braces in the front and back to do what little they can do to prevent twisting.

I am running stock pully, but have the accufab throttle body and k&n. Also have bassani cat back, & x pipe commin soon.

honestly i guess it depends on how much power you want to make. I don't plan on going much above where i am already at so the irs suits me fine. Plus the streets around here are kind of rough, so i can appreciate the better ride quality.

thats just my 2 cents.

bouncer18

Established Member
i went solid today...

i drag race alot so for me, its cheaper.. i broke so many level 2/3 shafts that in the ned, i am better off being solid.

(hey tide.. ill trade ya rear ends for IRS lol *save me the effort of building it*)

hurtindude

Banned
Tide612 said:
i would if it was an 03 or 04 IRS. Sorry no 01

i have an 03 IRS for sale if you are interested... i am in the process of swaping over to a solid myself...

the car has 4,700 miles, so the IRS is in like new condition. it also comes w/ steeda polly irs subframe bushings, and maximum motorsports polly diff bushings front and back already installed....

also comes w/ steeda irs cover brace which has been powder coated red (to match my car)

I also have a torsen T2-R diff for same ne w in the box and never installed..

i grabbed a solid out of a 2003 Mach 1. Got a deal 350.00 for complete rear end including caliper brackets... rear end had only 4K on it before prior owner smacked his car into a tree up in NH...

I am also in search of a few items maybe you can help me with.. I am considering going with a Steeda 5 link-2 setup as my suspension solution.. But i am in search of factory GT or Mach 1 springs for 99-04 model years or 03/04 mach 1s... I am also looking for lower control arms and upper control arms as well.. Although i am likly going to use steeda for my control arms as well... Maybe we could work out some sort of trade + cash for my IRS... I live in New England also so you can pick it up if you want, or i can ship it freight, but if shipped plan on paying something extra for the shipping.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I still have my old Mach... I think the insurance company forgot about it... heh. I'm gonna tell them they owe me money for storage so they tell me to keep it... then I will have a solid axle on hand :p ... not sure I'll use it though, I like my IRS.

ViciousJay

Established Member
since im DD and i prefer to take corners better ill stick to my IRS... solid is good for track use mainly

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
CPViolation said:
+1
After having my IRS properly set-up by Apex motorsports, I wouldn't consider live axle.
No wheel hop...
I drive 90% on the street.

Ditto, minus Apex setting it up. I had the gumption and lack of smarts to do it myself ;-)

1bad03snake