• IRS

Votes: 349 77.4%
  • Solid Axle

Votes: 102 22.6%

• Total voters

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Trying to judge how many people have made the swap.. I'm about an inch away as of this posting :pepper:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Solid Axle for me. Best mod I have ever done. Car still handles and rides great. Going to be even better with the new parts I just added to it. Also saves a ton of weight.

rearafter.jpg

Dave

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Had both a totally built bomb proof live axle and my current Level5 IRS. I am staying IRS.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
postban said:
Had both a totally built bomb proof live axle and my current Level5 IRS. I am staying IRS.

I noticed you had quite a write up on the live axle swap. What made you go back?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
I noticed you had quite a write up on the live axle swap. What made you go back?

I sold the a/c/p/i/e live axle vert and bought a stock IRS coupe (with every intention of modding the pi$$ out of it). My plan is proceeding on schedule.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I plan on going to a solid axle. I can't stand this damned wheel hop. 1st and 2nd gear are useless and I'm still on the stock pulley. Plus I want to run a 15" wheel in the rear for the track. I see a lot of people complain about bad ride quality, but my '03 Mach rode great with its solid axle.

Last edited:

scotto

Established Member
All I can tell you is that Richard at strictly goes 9.4 on the IRS in the badass yellow car (its an automatic) but he likes the way the IRS launches better than solid axle. All the guys at Strictly are still on IRS and several are in the high 10's down to 9's. If you like the IRS and the only reason you hae to change is save time down the track you should call Jerry or Richard and see what they run on their IRS. Anyway just my .02 Either way you choose I think will be okay

Hye

Established Member
if i was an all out drag racer, i'd swap to a live axle

since i drive the car everyday, not too worried about 1/4 racing anymore, and love to take the turns and twisties pretty fast, im gonna stick with the IRS

L3thal 324

Established Member
scotto said:
All I can tell you is that Richard at strictly goes 9.4 on the IRS in the badass yellow car (its an automatic) but he likes the way the IRS launches better than solid axle. All the guys at Strictly are still on IRS and several are in the high 10's down to 9's. If you like the IRS and the only reason you hae to change is save time down the track you should call Jerry or Richard and see what they run on their IRS. Anyway just my .02 Either way you choose I think will be okay

Ummmm no..... the yellow car has been on a sloid axle for EVER now. Jay Knott is the only guy there running the IRS still and hes in the 9.85 range. there are a couple of guys there as well on the IRS but the yellow car ditched it a WHILE back

mers1083

Established Member
Do It!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03 DSG Snake said:
Trying to judge how many people have made the swap.. I'm about an inch away as of this posting :pepper:[/QUOTE It was a great mod i did. I have the bullet springs in the back with strange adjustable shocks and it rides great. i love it!

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I had a conversation with (owner) Dario Orlando, Chad, and Steve over at Steeda Motorsports in Pompano. They all said they run solid axle on their race cars (roadrace). Dario said they turn faster lap times on the solid axle versus the IRS set up. A properly set up solid 8.8 is the way to go - less weight 125 pounds to boot. For the money is costs to beef up your IRS you can have 8.8 solid with 31 spine axles and posi - new.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
zinc03svt said:
I had a conversation with (owner) Dario Orlando, Chad, and Steve over at Steeda Motorsports in Pompano. They all said they run solid axle on their race cars (roadrace). Dario said they turn faster lap times on the solid axle versus the IRS set up. A properly set up solid 8.8 is the way to go - less weight 125 pounds to boot. For the money is costs to beef up your IRS you can have 8.8 solid with 31 spine axles and posi - new.

Exactly, a solid axle setup properly, will out handle an IRS. Stock for Stock the IRS is definetely better, but once you start modding it, the solid is better for the twisties (if setup that way) or straight line.

yes there are guys going 9s-10s on the IRS, and that is awsome. But i will still take my solid over that any day. My car rides just as good as my IRS did, and i had crap springs and shocks on it @ the time. I have currently changed my complete rear and suspension, but have yet to drive it, but i bet it will feel just as good, if not better then the IRS. Plus i saved ALOT of weight.

Im currently @ 3460#s and dropping :)

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
i would like to say I have a rather stock IRS car in the 10's, at least my 1/8th mile times reflect it. If you find the technique its easy getting these outa the hole which I have. I just have some adjustable shocks and an IRS brace and stocl 23k mile halfshafts launching on the n20.

I would love to try a solid axle, the rest of my drivetrain is beefed accordingly, I just need one to fall on my doorstep now. Otherwise I cant justify doing the swap when I 60ft in the low 1.6's and high 1.5's as it is.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I'll agree with what everyone is saying here about a solid rear axle being better than an IRS on the twisties OF A TRACK.. but when you get to the real world with it's imperfections (pot holes, uneven pavement etc on the twisties, I'll stick with a WELL Designed IRS)

Rwick7

Established Member
A 20-30 pass a year car is right on the borderline in my opinion...if you race it anymore than that its better to go solid

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Still have the IRS and like it alot. The ONLY reason I would go solid would be for weight savings. I dont see a huge improvement in 60ft times in the people that went solid do far..... If you dont have wheel hop, your IRS is gonna last you a long time!

Users who are viewing this thread