• IRS

Votes: 349 77.4%
  • Solid Axle

Votes: 102 22.6%

• Total voters

silvercoffin

Established Member
solid

I am leaning towards a solid rear even though JDM employees are encouraging me to stay IRS to keep it a "cobra". I only drag race the car and barely drive it on the street. The idea of losing weight plus fewer parts to break seems too good.

"but when you get to the real world with it's imperfections (pot holes, uneven pavement etc on the twisties, I'll stick with a WELL Designed IRS)"

I don't think the car handles well on poor street conditions with the IRS. I had a 01 GT before and I dont notice any difference when it comes to bad road conditions except for the fact that the cobra pulls all over the road because of the wider tires and the Cobra is a harsher ride than my GT was even after I lowered the GT. I am sure the CObra can go around corners faster, but thats not im into..

From what I have read here I think I will definetely go solid. That will be my next mod. I cant wait to see how much more I can improve my times by just doing that.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
silvercoffin said:
I am leaning towards a solid rear even though JDM employees are encouraging me to stay IRS to keep it a "cobra". I only drag race the car and barely drive it on the street. The idea of losing weight plus fewer parts to break seems too good.

"but when you get to the real world with it's imperfections (pot holes, uneven pavement etc on the twisties, I'll stick with a WELL Designed IRS)"

I don't think the car handles well on poor street conditions with the IRS. I had a 01 GT before and I dont notice any difference when it comes to bad road conditions except for the fact that the cobra pulls all over the road because of the wider tires and the Cobra is a harsher ride than my GT was even after I lowered the GT. I am sure the CObra can go around corners faster, but thats not im into..

From what I have read here I think I will definetely go solid. That will be my next mod. I cant wait to see how much more I can improve my times by just doing that.
amen brotha

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
snip
Silver2003Cobra said:
..... but when you get to the real world with it's imperfections (pot holes, uneven pavement etc on the twisties, I'll stick with a WELL Designed IRS)

So what you are saying is that you will be swapping to a solid also? Because this is definitely NOT a well-designed IRS.

Grey03

Established Member
IRS for me! DSS level 5, BF IRS brace, and some MT drag radials is all I need. Oh and a new clutch and input shaft too.

silvercoffin

Established Member

WHat about weight though. My Dad just mentioned that. Solid axle means les weight...but in the rear where you dont really want to lose weight.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea but if you can get traction with some slicks silvercoff that irs is dead weight once you start movin

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
solid here...times and 60's dont lie....see sig.

like some have said..its like riding in a mach 1 or gt...i dont feel much diff other than the bumps are "there" a lil more...i love being able ot hammer it at 50 and spin the tires and not worry.

oh yea..and i swapped it at 4k miles...warranty what? :lol:

silvercoffin

Established Member

A 1.71 60ft on slicks isn't anything to brag about.

I ran a 11.7 with a 1.70 when I only had a pulley and chip and drop in K+N...with BFG DRs

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
It would be nice if the big dogs at Ford would offer a solid axle and IRS model, along with a good beefy auto option. I am sure I could then convince my wife that it was what she has been looking for. She has had her share of 4 and 5 spds, but prefers an auto now, but wants one with some real guts. I will not let her drive my Bird.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
A 1.71 60ft on slicks isn't anything to brag about.

I ran a 11.7 with a 1.70 when I only had a pulley and chip and drop in K+N...with BFG DRs

pulley? whats that?? lol that was my best ET slip..see sig for best 60'...1.64....STOCK PULLEY, CLUTCH and no port on 8" slicks....i think thats pretty good

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
WorkHorse09 said:
Nicer ride on the solids?! Whaaat? I would think that the IRS would have a much smoother ride than the solids....hmmmm

One would think that, but its not true at all. The only difference i can really notice is when going over a set of train tracks, you feel it more in the solid. So what?

It also depends on how you have it setup.If you have a solid, with stock GT shocks and springs it will feel like shit. If you have aftermarket shocks, springs LCAs and UCAs it handles and feels just like the IRS minus some weight.

BTW My car weighed in @ 3460 after the solid swap, nothing else removed except for the spare and jack.

And yes you are taking the weight off the wrong end, but if your suspension is set up right and you have a good tire, it doesnt matter. Like others have said, after your 60ft you are just pushing that extra uneeded weight from the IRS. Its not uncommon, GTs, MACHs and pre 99 Cobras are all like this as well, weight distribution wise and they do just fine @ the track.

Squeeler92

Juiced46 said:
And yes you are taking the weight off the wrong end, but if your suspension is set up right and you have a good tire, it doesnt matter. Like others have said, after your 60ft you are just pushing that extra uneeded weight from the IRS. Its not uncommon, GTs, MACHs and pre 99 Cobras are all like this as well, weight distribution wise and they do just fine @ the track.

Not completely....since the 03Cobra comes with an iron block and a supercharger which throws off the balance of the weight even more compared to the other cars you listed with aluminum blocks and no supercharger.

Where would be a good place to turn to set up a solid axle nicely? Seems Maximum Motorsports knows their stuff....

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
WorkHorse09 said:
Not completely....since the 03Cobra comes with an iron block and a supercharger which throws off the balance of the weight even more compared to the other cars you listed with aluminum blocks and no supercharger.

Where would be a good place to turn to set up a solid axle nicely? Seems Maximum Motorsports knows their stuff....

You are correct, but the weight distribution is still just as bad even with the aluminum block the 96-98 Cobras come with and the Machs. Ad an SC to it, its almost as heavy as our cars up front. But like i said, with the correct suspension and tires the weight off the rear end wont make a difference.

I bought all my parts for my solid from alot of different places. It all depends on what you are looking to do with it.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
alum black vs iron block weight diff is only like 65-75lbs...its not as signiicant as you would think.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Damn thats it? Still it's hard to find one place to cut a 100 pounds but it's easy to find a 100 places to cut 10 pounds.

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
sambandit said:
Still have the IRS and like it alot. The ONLY reason I would go solid would be for weight savings. I dont see a huge improvement in 60ft times in the people that went solid do far..... If you dont have wheel hop, your IRS is gonna last you a long time!

+1 i went solid because i was scared of busting the IRS the way i was driving it....5500rpm launches on ET Streets, granted i did this more than 50 times plus probably 100 other passes on radials and ET Streets...i think i had a bullet proof factory IRS. i had wheel hop ONCE after i put the ET Streets on and that was only because the track had a little moisture on it at the line.

Users who are viewing this thread