Sold our home!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My wife and I had been tossing around the idea of selling our home, mainly due to Driftwood (and Hill Country) being such a crazy hot market. We live in a rural area, everyone has 5-10 acres, and it's a dead end street. Mostly nice homes, but older. 2 homes recently sold, both way older, smaller and neither had a pool. One was asking 799k and got 1.1 million, the other was asking 1.4 million and got 1.44 million.

After we came back from our 2 week trip to Montana, we thought "let's test the market" so we got the house power washed, windows cleaned, interior cleaned, and updated our landscaping.

Our listing went live Friday (7/23). We had 4 showing that night, 3 Saturday and 2 Sunday. By Sunday afternoon, we had 3 offers in hand.

This home was a full on custom build for us, our dream home, planned to stay until I retire in 9 more years. So this decision was not done lightly. We figured if we get a good offer, we'd take it.

We listed at $$1.3 million. 48 hours later, multiple offers later, under contract for $$1.55 million. All cash. Waived the option period, waived the inspection and survey, 20 days free lease back.

We couldn't believe it! Our all in cost when we built (5 years ago) was 540k for house, 160k for the acreage, 70k recently for the pool, so 770k total. We now doubled it in 5 years time.

Here's the house: https://www.redfin.com/TX/Driftwood...0eV9pZD01NTE1MTQxNyZwb3NpdGlvbl9udW1iZXI9MA==

As for what's next? Hard to say. We may stay in Texas, look for land further out and build or place a trailer. I've also applied for jobs in Arkansas and Montana (state jobs), hoping to transfer. My wife has the luxury of working from anywhere with an Internet connection.

Last edited:

utlong31

Established Member
Just crazy what the housing market is doing in Texas. The problem is building anything new is going to cost you a lot right now with the way materials are and finding a good piece of land that’s not over priced well good luck with that. I couldn’t have passed that up either. I keep threatening my wife with the let’s sell and we can live in a travel trailer until the market cools down but she’s not going for it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
We went to Arknsas this weekend, it was always between AR and MT for our retirement. We have submitted an offer on 7 acres, lake front on Beaverfork lake for $135k. Markets are crazy different.

Thing is, with 7 figures in the bank, life changes a lot. My wife can work from anywhere that has internet. IT jobs are a dime a dozen. Even if I don't work, we are still well off.

Just FYI - 5 acres here will cost 500k+ or more, and we pay 1.87% property tax.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I was just near that area for vacation. Stayed near Lake Travis. Definitely beautiful country.

Your house is in a great location. Right outside Austin and near Martin Brothers (Iron Resurrection). I wouldn't mind living there.

I can understand the desire to live there. Texas is a great state to live in.

Congratulations on your sale and doubling your money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
I was just near that area for vacation. Stayed near Lake Travis. Definitely beautiful country.

Your house is in a great location. Right outside Austin and near Martin Brothers (Iron Resurrection). I wouldn't mind living there.

I can understand the desire to live there. Texas is a great state to live in.

Congratulations on your sale and doubling your money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

It is really pretty here, 20 minutes from Austin on AG exempt acreage. CA has been buying this up. But in this case it was a local buyer. Someone who lived in the country until 2019, went to the city, then hated city life, and wanted to pay a premium for space and country life.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats. My wife and I have been talking about doing the same. We bought our current house in early 2018 and would make out really really well if we sold it in the current market. We both would love to relocate to western CO, but it's really expensive out there right now as well. Hard decision to make

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Congrats and good luck on your next place. I'm on the border of NJ and NY and my house is worth almost double what I paid for it 2013 because all the 2 platers are fleeing their cesspool. I've been contemplating selling out and moving to a deep red state. I even have a couple feelers out for jobs and they don't pay that different than what I make here.

I told the wife last night, I have one more move left in me. But if I don't do it by 50 I'm staying put. Fortunately her job can be done anywhere as she travels the world part time and can work from home the rest.

Blown 89

Established Member
Congratulations. You sold at the right time, give it a year and I'll bet you can buy something similar for half of that when the market comes crashing down. The average house price has blown past the average yearly salary in a lot of major markets. It's going to get ugly really soon.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Congratulations. You sold at the right time, give it a year and I'll bet you can buy something similar for half of that when the market comes crashing down. The average house price has blown past the average yearly salary in a lot of major markets. It's going to get ugly really soon.

It sure has. My wife and I could not afford to buy our own house at this price. It's crazy!

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
We went to Arknsas this weekend, it was always between AR and MT for our retirement. We have submitted an offer on 7 acres, lake front on Beaverfork lake for $135k. Markets are crazy different.

Thing is, with 7 figures in the bank, life changes a lot. My wife can work from anywhere that has internet. IT jobs are a dime a dozen. Even if I don't work, we are still well off.

Just FYI - 5 acres here will cost 500k+ or more, and we pay 1.87% property tax.
Arkansas isn't too far to go for a housewarming party.
Congrats on the sale!

quad

Established Member
Wow that's a great return! 780K in 5 years! I work with a guy who was building a house a few years ago. They had about 750k into the construction when they were approached by a buyer who offered them $1.5 million. This was even before the house was completed! They ended up not selling because they were committed to finishing the home and are now living in it. The house is quite impressive with 3 kitchens and an outdoor kitchen, movie theater etc. I am sure they would get over $1.5 million if they decided to sell now.

Users who are viewing this thread