So who remembers this Cobra on ebay?

jguerrero

Established Member
Now that took some serious skill, wish I could do domething like that.:thumbsup:

CPMaverick

Established Member
Hi guys, this is Charlie. My dad repaired the car. I am living in Mobile for the summer so I didn't help him at all. He did all the work totally by himself save for my Grandfather helping out from time to time. The car never left our 1.5 car garage. ;)

I'm sure he'll appreciate the compliments. I haven't even seen the finished product yet. The car took about a month to complete. He got the car in late May but collected parts for a few weeks before he got started (also had to finish another car first).

My dad fixes cars to sell often, mostly Mustangs. He is really excited to get this Cobra. Unfortunately he finished it so quickly the insurance company hasn't released the title yet, so he can't (legally) drive it! whoops. ;)

As far as resale, the only reason titles are branded as 'rebuilt' (salvage cars must be inspected to be changed to rebuilt status) is for the prospective buyers to know the car has been wrecked. It does not affect loan value at all. So the car will be easy to sell if he decides to sell it. I'm sure the buyer will see it is as good or better than new.

Of course its not for sale at this time. ;)

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Maverick - Kudos to your Dad. He did an amazing job on the rebuild. I would have never guessed that someone working on the side could rebuild a car that damaged in only one month.

carstocks

Established Member
I remember seeing that on EBAY.

Looks a little different now!!

I figured whoever bought it was using it for parts. Glad to see I was wrong.

Enjoy it!

CPMaverick

Established Member
It's impressive he completed it so quickly, but he was working full time on the car. His work is seasonal, so he was able to work exclusively on the Cobra. Still he put in over 400 hours I'd say. It's at least as much work as it looks like, especially as picky as he is. :)

71stang99

Established Member
just curious, what justifies a salvage title? cost vs repair? structural damage? Im sure it depends on state laws..
thanks

CPMaverick

Established Member
Any time a car has been totalled, it gets a salvage title. Cars with salvage titles cannot be insured, licensed, or driven on public roads.

However if you repair a car with a salvage title, the state can inspect it and issue a new title stamped 'rebuilt.' This is to let the buyer know that the car has been wrecked and repaired. Otherwise the title is the same as a regular title.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is really awesome. It must be great doing something that you absolutely love to do and gives you the pride of knowing you've taking something that might have gone to the junk heap and brought it back to life -- better than new!

Awesome!

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Guys, Charlie is really being modest here. True his dad did finish this car, but Charlie has worked on some beautiful cars of his own, and done agreat job. For the last three years that I have been at Auburn he has been one of the main guys that helped build our formula SAE car. Infact I think I even have link to where pics and vids of the car, and Charlie driving can be found. This car is built from scratch, and tested by the engineering students at Auburn. Very little of it is ever outsourced, or built by anone other than us....even stuff like spindles, and differentials...drive shafts, and frame.

Detroit2004.jpg

Link to our site with pics and vids.

CPMaverick

Established Member
To answer some questions:

I am not sure about the total amount invested. And not too sure he'd want me to say if I did. ;) However the car cost ~14k (see ebay auction). I would venture its definitely under 20k (plus lots of labor!).

As far as does it drive straight, well I haven't driven the car but based on other cars he's done, it will drive great. Although wrecked cars have a bad rap (and maybe deservedly), they are as good as you make them. Ford publishes all kinds of dimensions on these cars and when you repair/straighten them you just need to refer to these specs and the car will be as good as new. I personally did a few alignments on his rebuilds, and have never had to change anything but toe.

quad

Established Member
Originally posted by CPMaverick
It's impressive he completed it so quickly, but he was working full time on the car. His work is seasonal, so he was able to work exclusively on the Cobra. Still he put in over 400 hours I'd say. It's at least as much work as it looks like, especially as picky as he is. :)

Hey Maverick - if your dad worked 400 hours or more on the car in 1 month, he averaged over 13 hours/day!

Impressive!!! Are you sure about those numbers?

14k seems like a lot for a wrecked car! The guy is lucky your dad bought it from him!

Definately a labor of love more than a money making venture...

drexebo

On a quest 4 an 03 cobra!
Established Member
that is astonishing... I wish I had that ability. maybe one day I'll buy "Making wrecked cars look kickass for Dummies"

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
14k isnt to bad. As long as the drivetrain is fine its worth it doing the labor yourself.

Nice job on the car :)

CPMaverick

Established Member
Originally posted by quad
Hey Maverick - if your dad worked 400 hours or more on the car in 1 month, he averaged over 13 hours/day!

Impressive!!! Are you sure about those numbers?

14k seems like a lot for a wrecked car! The guy is lucky your dad bought it from him!

Definately a labor of love more than a money making venture...

Yeah he worked really hard on the car because he had to leave for work last Tuesday and he wanted it finished. With it done, my Grandfather will take it to get inspected when the title comes in, and he is going to bring it to my dad (I think).

I'd say he worked at least 12 hours a day average. He would sleep when the paint/epoxy/sealer was drying. ;) My mom said she wouldn't see him all week :D

As for a money making venture, I think he could sell the car and make a fairly tidy profit for a month's work. But as hard as he worked maybe he could have made more at a real job. Still this car was special.:coolman:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread