So today a Marine asked me a question...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Being a leader of Marines is not teaching someone to be just average or mediocre! You teach them they are the best of the best in which I absolutely believe we are. I don't want to be of part of an organization that believes it's so so..give me an organization that believes it is an elite fighting force! That reputation has been built over time through blood, sweat, and tears. Killing is not glorious..but I won't have my Marines feeling sorry because they had to defend their country and kill the enemy. We don't have time on the battlefield to feel sorry for them..if you don't kill them..they'll kill you..simple as that!

Now, what I do tell my Marines is that we can't rest on what we old foggies and others before us did. You have to continue to prove yourselves and not talk about how awesome you are when you are doing what other services do. Other branches may not like how Marines carry themselves, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I bleed Marine Corps green...and will fight to the death to defend my Corps and country!

Yuutt!!!!

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the false confidence that many 03s possess on matters unrelated to combat. We are the best fighting force in the world hands down, but like what was brought up above, many Marines get this idea that they individually are higher trained or as highly trained than other forces (usually Rangers) right out of bootcamp and SOI. It's a stupid thing to compare imo and most 03s figure that out pretty quickly that at the lowest level we're not, but there's still always a few.

Being a smaller unit I can teach my Marines individually what they/we are good at and where their confidence should be. I find it better to be confident and know you are a highly trained killer but maintain that silent confidence. If someone wants to compare themselves to you just smile and walk away. We know how devastating of a force we can be but we don't need to be cocky about it and bragging to others. From my experiences that cockiness has only made it more difficult for us to work with others because people just inherently have it out for you, mostly due to jealousy.

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
And I've never met a Marine that wasn't full of themselve. :lol1:

Yea no crap!:bored:

Try working with some of them in the civilian sector, what a pain in the ass.
I never met as many whiny drama queens from any other branch.

It really gets old in the FD hearing "well in the Corps we did it this way".
"In the Corps this wouldn't be allowed"

I'm not generalizing all Marines but the ones we hire always turn out to be complete cocky douche bags who barely know anything about structural firefighting.

Because they all come from ARFF stations.

Some of these cocky Marines are the reason why sometimes some FDs and PDs would rather just train new recruits off the street instead of a prior military hire.:nonono:

Quite frankly during an emergency or on the fire grounds no one gives a damn that you were an NCO in the Corps and the medals you earned.
Shut your mouth grab your tools or a hand line and go save some lives and property.

BTW jerrad I was stationed at Barksdale also.:beer:

truefiveo

Established Member
many Marines get this idea that they individually are higher trained or as highly trained than other forces (usually Rangers) right out of bootcamp and SOI. It's a stupid thing to compare imo and most 03s figure that out pretty quickly that at the lowest level we're not, but there's still always a few.

I agree, especially when non combat Marines think they are better trained than Air Force PJs and Army Rangers right outta Marine basic.

People have no idea how well trained PJs are in terms of tactical and medical knowledge.

We aren't talking about some basic quick self aid buddy care course either, more like Airborne Paramedics.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
With all due respect to my fellow service members here - but if I judged every service by the few cocky douchebags I've met in each of them I'd never want to work with other services again. EVERY branch has their idiots, not just the Corps. The truth of the matter is we are a better over all military because we work with each other- we all bring our different experiences and methods and ultimately get the job done better by working together. So Marines are more strict with certain things- get over it!! I don't always think some of the other services lackadaisical and at times perceived undisciplined attitudes are the greatest either- doesn't make either of us better or worse.

BTW- I have much respect for the special forces of the United States from ALL branches. Any boot who thinks they are better are simply retarded and should be put in their place. That being said, just because you AREN'T a PJ, Ranger, SEAL etc doesn't mean you aren't contributing. You snake eaters don't do what you do all on your own. (taking a page out of Slobama's book here) W/O your supporting structure (loggies, admin etc) you wouldn't be able to do a damn thing. It's a team effort folks- anybody who says different is ignorant.

truefiveo

Established Member
With all due respect to my fellow service members here - but if I judged every service by the few cocky douchebags I've met in each of them I'd never want to work with other services again. EVERY branch has their idiots, not just the Corps. The truth of the matter is we are a better over all military because we work with each other- we all bring our different experiences and methods and ultimately get the job done better by working together. So Marines are more strict with certain things- get over it!! I don't always think some of the other services lackadaisical and at times perceived undisciplined attitudes are the greatest either- doesn't make either of us better or worse.

BTW- I have much respect for the special forces of the United States from ALL branches. Any boot who thinks they are better are simply retarded and should be put in their place. That being said, just because you AREN'T a PJ, Ranger, SEAL etc doesn't mean you aren't contributing. You snake eaters don't do what you do all on your own. (taking a page out of Slobama's book here) W/O your supporting structure (loggies, admin etc) you wouldn't be able to do a damn thing. It's a team effort folks- anybody who says different is ignorant.

:beer:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Very true. While special forces may seem unattainable to most I teach my Marines otherwise. It is the hardest challenge you'll ever face if you go out for it and they are higher trained than the rest of us but I find it important to make sure that as long as you prepare yourself you can make it, and you shouldn't see yourself as inferior as a person but just as a Marine who hasn't received that level of training. I know myself and most other Marines I'm with could easily make Recon and many could make Marsoc, but we just haven't had the opportunity to try it yet or we missed the last chance. I do have the utmost respect for those guys though, they work their asses off!

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Or can't because of family life. My wife is not supportive of the SOF OPTEMPO. She is fine with the military life style, even the combat arms side of things with a more dangerous job and deployments and lots of training in the field. But she is very much against only spending 3 months out of the year with me. So any SOF aspirations I may have had are not an option anymore. At least as long as I'm married. And that's ok, I'll just be the best combat engineer and leader I can. Although I have been seriously considering switching branches for TACP or ALO on the officer side. The conventional side of the military still needs good troops and leaders.

Psymos

Established Member

so true! my dad is retired E-9 with the marines with 33 years in (reserve, 2 tours - 1 desert storm - 1 iraqi freedom) and im 6 years in USAF reserves it makes for fun family dinner "discussions"....but its all in good fun http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smile1/biggrinflip.gif

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I agree, especially when non combat Marines think they are better trained than Air Force PJs and Army Rangers right outta Marine basic.

People have no idea how well trained PJs are in terms of tactical and medical knowledge.

We aren't talking about some basic quick self aid buddy care course either, more like Airborne Paramedics.

I worked with three different pj teams on deployments... yes they are good to go, but they are the worst for thinking they are more high speed than what they really are. In vietnam I can see them as a vital resource with all of the aircraft shot down but.... in todays theater of operation, there "original purpose" and what they still train for is not needed as much as they think. Like I said, they are still good to go and I have a lot of pj friends, but I would take a squad of regular infantry Marines (that I cannot stand btw) than to take a pj team into a firefight

03cobraracer

Established Member
it was funny i was in turkey at incirlick AFB for a mission i was on and went to the bowling alley that night with some guys in my platoon, few lanes down from us was a group of marines IN UNIFORM chugging pitchers of beer and falling down drunk throwing bowling balls everywhere and making a scene. i couldnt beleive it. but even in the army i beleive in dressing decent outside of work and not looking like slapped ass. ive chewed a few peoples asses while i was working for wearing dumb shit, earings, etc.

ademily87

Established Member
Lol you marines would go insane if you went green to blue haha

From just my 4 years experience in the navy and on an aircraft carrier, we were the worst out of all branches IMO. I've never seen more rejects/ jail dodgers than I did in the NAVY. I loved my navy now, and I'm not putting it down, but I would refer to us as the party college of all the branches. Not many people took it seriously and didn't give a crap how they looked IN uniform, much less OUT of uniform. (besides the aviators and tap out shirt guys)

I have up most respect for all branches, but especially the Marines. Yea I've met some overly confident ones, and I've seen many of Marine ass get kicked by squids, but no one still can't even get mad over how serious you guys take your military and your country. After my 4 years of partying and drinking, I can honestly say go Marines lol Some bad mofo's right there!!:beer::beer::beer:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
on or off duty, your still subject to the UCMJ, and still represent the United States Air Force, and the United States.

Even though I'm retired from the US Navy, since I received retirement pay, I am still subject to the UCMJ as well.

Hmm, so just out of curiousity since you're still subject to the UCMJ as a retiree, can your respective branch show up with a uranalysis test and if you pop hot take your retirement??

This is a serious question, as I was not aware you're still subject to follow UCMJ guidelines, I've never heard of this before and would think many folks would be screwed and that the Govt would be trying to push something like that..

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
it was funny i was in turkey at incirlick AFB for a mission i was on and went to the bowling alley that night with some guys in my platoon, few lanes down from us was a group of marines IN UNIFORM chugging pitchers of beer and falling down drunk throwing bowling balls everywhere and making a scene. i couldnt beleive it. but even in the army i beleive in dressing decent outside of work and not looking like slapped ass. ive chewed a few peoples asses while i was working for wearing dumb shit, earings, etc.

I don't get the earrings thing, what's the big deal for males to wear earrings? Now days you get MEO speeches like you wouldn't believe on equal rights blah blah.. A male can now take in the rear (DADT) but can't wear an earring?

The facts are dressing has nothing to do with it, those Marines you speak of could have been tight nipped and clothes pressed, but were still looking like fools.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

You should have said something to them.... on the other hand if you think it's just Marines who get drunk and act stupid I have some real bad news for you:poke:

OU812

Established Member
You should have said something to them.... on the other hand if you think it's just Marines who get drunk and act stupid I have some real bad news for you:poke:

So true!! I find myself not even wanting to hang around many military people outside of work anymore. I've realized that as I'm getting older I have less and less patience for the stupidness that I once was right in the middle of, people that have known me for a long time say I'm boring now...lol

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
So true!! I find myself not even wanting to hang around many military people outside of work anymore. I've realized that as I'm getting older I have less and less patience for the stupidness that I once was right in the middle of, people that have known me for a long time say I'm boring now...lol

So very true. I don't at all hang out with anybody I work with. I see these people 60-70 hrs a week. The last thing I want to do is hang out with them in my off time.

And since 03Cobraracer wanted to bring it up. When I had shore patrol last Halloween on Gate 2 Street. The number of people, who were intoxicated at various levels, numbered 11. 2 of the three Marines accepted the fact they got caught and would have to face the music when their units representatives came to pick them up. The other 8 - 5 were AF, 3 were Navy all acted like the shore patrol was wrong for catching them, and some even wanted to fight us. Fortunately we were right in front of the gate and we also had 9 members of shore patrol with us. But it was sad and astounding that they accepted NO responsibility for the position they put themselves in. 2 were E6's!! And you all want to bitch about Marines? Get real. ALL branches have their assholes- not just the Corps so quit acting like you all are a bunch of freaking angels that do no wrong:nonono:

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Marines are not the only ones who act like jackasses for sure. It's every branch and they don't even have to be drunk to act stupid. I went Green to Blue (Army to Navy) during A school my class almost got into a platoon sized brawl with the army guys because of the same kind of issue during PT.

When I was in the army we worked a lot with the Corps overseas, I have a lot of respect for them. I never had a problem with a Marine disrespecting me or any other Army NCO's/Officers. They were all very professional. Of course there was some shit talking and stuff but it was mostly friendly, we were all on the same team. Every branch has its shitheads. I think the Army has a lot more than most just because we are the biggest organization and the easiest to get into.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I got stopped at Ft. Sill BX's once because I had about a 3 month beard going on. This guy at the entrance asked if I was SPEC OPS, and said "No, why?". He replied, "Then your violating Army Reg (whatever it was) and that he needed my name and my commanders name to report the violation."

After I calmly told him that I'm not Army and started to walk away, he reaches out as if he was going to stop me. This is when I pulled out the asshole card and told him, "Touch me, and you will never see SFC. In fact, you will only see Civ in the very near future for interfering with official government business."

Dude was so confused by my 'tactics' he just turned around and left. :)

But more to the point, who gives a rats ass what people wear when they are off the clock. As long as it's not something that will land them in MEO's office, let them relax and give them the chance to behave like responsible adults. Army/Marines/AF/Navy whatever your flavor, if you treat your people like kids and micromanage their every decision, they will behave like kids.

...or climb a clocktower.

Users who are viewing this thread