So today a Marine asked me a question...

Zacharyx

Established Member
The problem we have on our base is that rules are dictated by the Marine command but the Navy that operates under it don't always like to adhere to the dress codes so there's a lot of butting heads.

I have to laugh at this a little since the Marines fall under the Dept of the Navy, I have a few retired friends ( Vietnam Vets) I like to screw with about it. All in good fun.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Man this thread is funny. I was ADAF 6 yrs and let me tell you I know what you mean by the way brand new troops act/dress. I was one of those asshats! I think it's because you haven't worn civies in so long that you just go ape shit when you get any kind of base lib or something. God I would kick my own ass back then. I will say that when I was in 00-06, Air force style was some preppy looking boot cut pants with an abercrombie shirt and a leather jacket and dress shoes. After I finally realized how stupid everyone looked all with the same outfit and haircuts, I started dressing how I did before I joined which to me was normal (obviously relative but you get the idea).

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
I've been in the Marines for almost 19 years now and I will stop Marines in the 7 day store and PX for not being in appropriate civilian attire. I've always been that way because that's what we were taught. I was brought up in the old school Marine Corps where Marines actually gave a shit about their appearance. The problem nowadays is we have kids coming in who think the Marines owe them something. They think they know better than everyone else. I don't let that shit fly! Silence is acceptance, and if you let that one person walk by and you don't say nothing..you've just condoned that Marines attire. Marines have rules and standards that we have to adhere to..period. Do we have that 5% that is on their own program..yeah..but by in large we do a decent job of policing our own. NCO's now a days are afraid of the younger kids talking back to them. F that! I don't discriminate..if you're a female in the PX looking trashing...I'll step to you too and tell you to leave and grab some appropriate attire. It's just the way we are.

This is all done for a reason..if I have you questioning me in garrison..what makes you think you won't question me in combat and get you, me, or a fellow service member killed? Nip that shit in the bud so when you go to combat..they will listen! There's a bigger picture to our madness.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I could pull my hair out about Embassy AF personnel. That being said the JTACS/SOTACS and STS guys I have worked with were amongst the most technically and tactically proficient. I could care less if they dressed in pink dresses and wore blonde wigs.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
This is all done for a reason..if I have you questioning me in garrison..what makes you think you won't question me in combat and get you, me, or a fellow service member killed? Nip that shit in the bud so when you go to combat..they will listen! There's a bigger picture to our madness.

Basically this. There's a lot of stuff we did/do that "sane" people won't understand, but they just don't need to. Marines are Marines and it doesn't make sense to everyone.

**** Okitraz though. Seriously, **** that place.

Eaglei532

Still kinda boot at this
Established Member
Killing is a profession, we dress as such. If you are not professional in your daily life, you wont be in your military life. Its just that easy. Brainwashing makes it go down easier too

SikO2

Established Member
I don't think it is limited to service members outside of the Marines. Have you ever seen the way brand new Marines dress?! Ridiculous outfits, it doesn't even make sense. And they carry a damn backpack every where they go. Now, this behavior is not limited to the Marines either as I was at Ft Leonard Wood a couple months ago and saw brand new Army soldiers wearing the same kind of ridiculous outfits and carrying a pack pack with them, every where. Even if they go on a short walk to the PX they carry a pack with them, and a god damn Camelbak! Wearing a camelbak, with civies! LOL!

I have noticed that the way service members dress changes with how long they have been in. The longer they have been in and the more mature they get the less of an asshat they become. I've stoped a couple of my guys before. About to head out to a club in town wearing pants and tan combat boots. Put on some normal, nice shoes. And not the ones you wore this morning during PT.

LMFAO my friend does this. I just say dude you're off work, go put some ****ing shoes on.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
In the Army it doesnt matter what you wear when your not technically on duty.
read below... Being a Marine is a lifestyle, not a job. you want a job, go to Taco bell.. not saying to you personally but to those who think the military is a 9-5 job.
A Marine is a Marine 24/7, and must present himself as such.
this^ Semper
Have you ever seen the way brand new Marines dress?! Ridiculous outfits, it doesn't even make sense. And they carry a damn backpack every where they go. Even if they go on a short walk to the PX they carry a pack with them, and a god damn Camelbak! Wearing a camelbak, with civies! LOL!
HAHA this is true... can always tell a boot a mile away. I was like that once though, my last active station was New River where Camp Geiger was across the street for the MCT'ers straight out of bootcamp.... I think they follow the bootcamp mentality that the nail that sticks out gets hammered.... damn funny though.

Killing is a profession, we dress as such. If you are not professional in your daily life, you wont be in your military life. Its just that easy. Brainwashing makes it go down easier too

I will tell you that I dont care what people do during there off time, I really dont, as much as they dont want to be a PFC all the damn time, I dont want to yell at them as a Sgt all the damn time.... but in combat they are a PFC all the time as I am a Sgt.... but if I'm anywhere in public, on base or off, and I see your nasty drawers from your sagging pants, or I see a skivvy shirt, or combat boots with blue jeans... standby to standby devil dog. That crap is nasty and unprofessional. But if there is a Marine that walks into a parts store with a cutoff shirt or dirty hands, face and dirty jeans, I dont say a word because hes clearly fixin his crap. It's not that we are all up tight, its the fact that we are shown the respect that the Marines who came before us have earned, and we will keep that level of professionalism and image as high as we can, because the things we do today will reflect how much respect future Marines are given.

I have never been afraid to correct even field grade Air Force officers for being jacked up, not bc I'm an a-hole, but because I don't want him looking like a giant bag of smashed assholes. Same thing with Navy Chiefs... Ive never seen a Chief who wasnt in need of a straight edge and a weight loss program. I personally think its bullshit that the Army wears their BDU's every damn where, its nasty and unprofessional. There is 0 reason to wear your damn cammies on a Delta flight from Charlotte to Atlanta... not one... for what? so someone to shake your hand for typoing on a computer all day? or turning a wrench?.... guys who do the dirty door kickins and spec ops stuff don't where their uniforms in public. Period. But I didnt join the Army, or the Air Force or the Coast Guard or the Navy. I joined the Marines for a lifestyle, well ok and to give dirt naps lol Each branch is different for their own reasons. I am not perfect, Ive prolly been corrected more times than anyone commenting on this.. and because of that I can about guarantee you that I wont be seen making the same mistakes twice or looking like crap

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
And I've never met a Marine that wasn't full of themselve. :lol1:

Some are not high on themselves but Ive met so many that are. It's worse the further away they get from combat arms too. Being a combat engineer in the Army I typically don't catch shit from Marine combat engineers for being in the Army. The shit talking usually comes from the combat service support guys. Or newer Marines. After they have been in for a while they start to see and realize that they are not as elite and special as they once thought. A mechanic is a mechanic, if you do a good job in your specialty then branch is irrelevant. Same with 11B vs 0311. Some of the new 0311's like to think they can compare themselves to the 75th RGR which is far from reality.

I also notice that when marines come to the army some come in with a chip on their shoulder thinking they are automatically better because they were a marine. Sometimes this leads to a self entitlement attitude in terms of promotion. Most soon realize their army peers are just as technically and tactically proficient. And that's not to say I have not met outstanding NCOS and later discovered they were former marines, but it's not a given that if a marine enters the army they will surely excel.

As for wearing our ACU's when we fly on duty, we are "required" too by big Army. I think it's dumb, all the anti terror classes I've died from boredom in always say to not display yourselves and draw attention. Besides, civies are 10x more comfortable. Unless I have to report in as soon as my flight lands I fly in civies and then change before I head to post.

u n v kenny

Established Member
This. I've been out of the Corps for 6 years now and I still won't leave my house dressed like a hood rat.

My roommate has been out of the Marines a little over a year. He will NEVER leave the house without dressing nicely. Just the other day, he wore his usual "Polo" collared shirt, jeans, and some nice shoes to Wal-Mart... When I asked, "Why are you dressing up just for Wal-Mart?" He replied, "You never know when you'll meet your future wife." I was hysterical!

Infantry Machinegunner 0331 for anyone interested what he was.

Last edited:

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
My roommate has been out of the Marines a little over a year. He will NEVER leave the house without dressing nicely. Just the other day, he wore his usual "Polo" collared shirt, jeans, and some nice shoes to Wal-Mart... When I asked, "Why are you dressing up just for Wal-Mart?" He replied, "You never know when you'll meet your future wife." I was hysterical!

Too Funny!

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member

He sounds like he just has a good attitude. Probably will be successful in everything he does. People like that make me sick. :lol1:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Some are not high on themselves but Ive met so many that are. It's worse the further away they get from combat arms too. Being a combat engineer in the Army I typically don't catch shit from Marine combat engineers for being in the Army. The shit talking usually comes from the combat service support guys. Or newer Marines. After they have been in for a while they start to see and realize that they are not as elite and special as they once thought. A mechanic is a mechanic, if you do a good job in your specialty then branch is irrelevant. Same with 11B vs 0311. Some of the new 0311's like to think they can compare themselves to the 75th RGR which is far from reality.

I also notice that when marines come to the army some come in with a chip on their shoulder thinking they are automatically better because they were a marine. Sometimes this leads to a self entitlement attitude in terms of promotion. Most soon realize their army peers are just as technically and tactically proficient. And that's not to say I have not met outstanding NCOS and later discovered they were former marines, but it's not a given that if a marine enters the army they will surely excel.

As for wearing our ACU's when we fly on duty, we are "required" too by big Army. I think it's dumb, all the anti terror classes I've died from boredom in always say to not display yourselves and draw attention. Besides, civies are 10x more comfortable. Unless I have to report in as soon as my flight lands I fly in civies and then change before I head to post.

Most 03s can't stand other 03s for this retarded attitude. Can't tell you how many guys we've had to publicly straighten out (humiliate) because they thought they were some highly trained individual that was the hardest of the hard. Had to bring them down a notch. I laughed at all the kids in ITB that talked about how they couldn't wait to go out and "get some!" like it was going to be all glory and no hardship or pain. It's good to be motivated if that's what you're going to do but I'd rather be a realist and keep a level head if that's what I'm gonna have to do; it's not a time to get high on yourself. It's better to realize what you're going to face and prepare your mind for it so when it does happen it will lessen the shock. Besides there's nothing to be proud of in taking another man's life but it does have to be done sometimes. So I've always detested the encouragement of that attitude in a way and many of my peers are the same. It could be just me and the age in which I joined, but it's one of those things I've always wondered why they encouraged that attitude, and why they never taught Marines their place rather than leading them on to believe they are greater than they really are. Anyone know why?

Last edited:

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Being a leader of Marines is not teaching someone to be just average or mediocre! You teach them they are the best of the best in which I absolutely believe we are. I don't want to be of part of an organization that believes it's so so..give me an organization that believes it is an elite fighting force! That reputation has been built over time through blood, sweat, and tears. Killing is not glorious..but I won't have my Marines feeling sorry because they had to defend their country and kill the enemy. We don't have time on the battlefield to feel sorry for them..if you don't kill them..they'll kill you..simple as that!

Now, what I do tell my Marines is that we can't rest on what we old foggies and others before us did. You have to continue to prove yourselves and not talk about how awesome you are when you are doing what other services do. Other branches may not like how Marines carry themselves, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I bleed Marine Corps green...and will fight to the death to defend my Corps and country!

Yuutt!!!!

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Thats why I joined the Air Force its my own business how I wanna dress or express myself off duty.

on or off duty, your still subject to the UCMJ, and still represent the United States Air Force, and the United States.

Even though I'm retired from the US Navy, since I received retirement pay, I am still subject to the UCMJ as well.

03cobrah

Established Member
Being a leader of Marines is not teaching someone to be just average or mediocre! You teach them they are the best of the best in which I absolutely believe we are. I don't want to be of part of an organization that believes it's so so..give me an organization that believes it is an elite fighting force! That reputation has been built over time through blood, sweat, and tears. Killing is not glorious..but I won't have my Marines feeling sorry because they had to defend their country and kill the enemy. We don't have time on the battlefield to feel sorry for them..if you don't kill them..they'll kill you..simple as that!

Now, what I do tell my Marines is that we can't rest on what we old foggies and others before us did. You have to continue to prove yourselves and not talk about how awesome you are when you are doing what other services do. Other branches may not like how Marines carry themselves, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I bleed Marine Corps green...and will fight to the death to defend my Corps and country!

Yuutt!!!!

yut yut in the butt!!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
So he was bitching about how two people where dressed that wasnt during normal duty hours? lol. In the Army it doesnt matter what you wear when your not technically on duty. I mean you cant really wear anything considered extreme or whatever. But I know Marines have crazy rules regarding the way they have to appear.

Actually I know exactly what he's talking about and it's not just 2 random people. Not EVERYONE, but too many IMO dress like absolute trash over here- the sag, wife beaters, clothes with holes or offensive language on them- basically screaming "I'm an American and I don't care how trashy or offensively I dress" attitude.

But I do think some of the rules Marines have concerning dress is retarded. You can't wear a hat indoors in a GOV'T building on ANY base. You can't wear your hat backwards or sideways. You can't wear PT gear (of any type) anywhere but your qtrs or at PT. Your dress overseas must "resemble" the service "Charlie" uniform..... and on and on. But what are you going to do? People don't have to come to Marine bases- if they do they better adhere to the standard or someone WILL stop you and correct you. On other bases I won't say anything unless I know they are a Marine and the offense is egregious.

Users who are viewing this thread