So I hit a deer in the cobra

whi tri

Established Member
Well it was a side job for him but I had to pay he boss for letting him do it. So whatever that is. I payed which to me I think is cheap 290.00 for him to paint my fender and bumper. Out of that I payed a body man to touch up my front bumper where I scrapped it loading it on the trailor. This to me isn't about the money it's about getting the car RIGHT. What would a normal shop charge me normaly.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
DSG has 6 variances, 3 to the light side of prime and 3 to the dark side of prime. You have two options. You can blend the front fender into the door and hood with a closer match, or you can repair the damage on the original fender and hope there is enough room to contain the color blend within that panel. Bottom line is the painter you choose will need to get a lot closer on the match or you are going to chase the discrepancy around the whole car.

DSC00026.jpg

I hope they scuffed good around your moldings, door handle, q-panel moldings cause if not it will peel around those areas eventually. They should have R&I'ed them(Remove and Install)
Don't spray too close with a pressure washer:eek:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just my .02 on the subject. If you take it to another paint shop then by all means put that ORIGINAL FENDER back on that car:cuss:! This is how cars end up with all different sorts of parts on them and later down the road nothing is original anymore. Man that pisses me off to no end. I myself won't buy a car that doesn't have matching numbers.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Someone should take his gun away just for attempting to panel shoot that color. BLEND ITTTT!!!!WTF!:bash:

Yeah I think painters should be tested yearly and if they put out chit like this they need there guns taken away. Like drunk drivers get their cars taken away. I think old people need to be retested on there driving skills too cause some have reaction times that are dead and gone. JMO

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Actually it isn't as bad as it sounds at all. I hit it goin MAYBE 20 mph. The only damage that it caused was behind my driver side headlight where the fender meets the bumper there was a dent and the paint cracked. I get pricess at cost from ford so I was like the hell with fixing this fender i'll just get a new one from ford. My painter can't seem to match this color to save his ass and I'm goin to take it elsewhere. Is this color that hard to match or is he a dumbass! Yes I can tell that there is a lot of flakes in it but he paints for a living. It really looks like it might be mineral grey and not dsg. But I will not drive it looking like this. I guess you get what you pay for! But without the sun beaming on it like in the pics you would never be able to tell.
220235.jpg

220236.jpg

220237.jpg

Your car is DSG and he painted it satin silver or mineral gray....I would go back and get the right color! He probably looked up the paint code for silver cuase most non cobra people would call it that. It's not silver.

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Venomous 10th,

I spray it myself and scuffed everything very close. The reason I left the rocker molding and side scoop on the car is because DSG is a very difficult color to match. Even with the same color batch, spraying pieces seperate will often be enough to change the color because of the angel the flake reflects the light.

Jeff

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Venomous 10th,

I spray it myself and scuffed everything very close. The reason I left the rocker molding and side scoop on the car is because DSG is a very difficult color to match. Even with the same color batch, spraying pieces seperate will often be enough to change the color because of the angel the flake reflects the light.

Jeff

Yeah I know what you mean. Could have taken the door and q-panel trim pieces off though...Just given you a hard time, looks good:beer:

whi tri

Established Member
Just my .02 on the subject. If you take it to another paint shop then by all means put that ORIGINAL FENDER back on that car:cuss:! This is how cars end up with all different sorts of parts on them and later down the road nothing is original anymore. Man that pisses me off to no end. I myself won't buy a car that doesn't have matching numbers.

The reason whi I didn't just fix the fender is because it couldn't have been fixed. And it is a ford fender not aftermarket. I have driven my car only 15,000 miles in 3 years, you think this doesn't piss me off. All I want is my shit to match.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I know what you mean. Sometimes it pays to leave the tough pieces on so not to damage the freash paint while putting it back together.

Jeff

whi tri

Established Member
Your car is DSG and he painted it satin silver or mineral gray....I would go back and get the right color! He probably looked up the paint code for silver cuase most non cobra people would call it that. It's not silver.

He knows that it is a cobra and dsg we had a nice long conversation before he painted it because I wanted to make sure that he felt good about doin it. I gave him the paint code.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
He knows that it is a cobra and dsg we had a nice long conversation before he painted it because I wanted to make sure that he felt good about doin it. I gave him the paint code.

Have you had your eyes checked lately? J/K I need to stop.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member

Thats not DSG.....It's not a lighter variant it's the wrong F'n color. No offence but that is clearly not DSG!

Solopony

Established Member
Not sure this is relevant but my GT is tropical green. The painter I picked has a done a great job for a number of people I know and I've seen some of the rods/restos he's done along with his personal Grand National, Camaro and Typhon. On my car the damage was contained to the hood door and 1 fender. I also had him delete my spoiler and all badging. He ended up having to spray everything except the roof and blended up the c pillars. He told me he wished he'd just sprayed the whole car. He's owned his shop for 7 years and never ran intoa color that gave him so much trouble. He has the lazer paint matacher also.

Users who are viewing this thread