So I hit a deer in the cobra

whi tri

Established Member
Actually it isn't as bad as it sounds at all. I hit it goin MAYBE 20 mph. The only damage that it caused was behind my driver side headlight where the fender meets the bumper there was a dent and the paint cracked. I get pricess at cost from ford so I was like the hell with fixing this fender i'll just get a new one from ford. My painter can't seem to match this color to save his ass and I'm goin to take it elsewhere. Is this color that hard to match or is he a dumbass! Yes I can tell that there is a lot of flakes in it but he paints for a living. It really looks like it might be mineral grey and not dsg. But I will not drive it looking like this. I guess you get what you pay for! But without the sun beaming on it like in the pics you would never be able to tell.
220235.jpg

220236.jpg

220237.jpg

Last edited:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
If he's got a good mixing system is should be a non-issue. Some people have an eye for it some people don't. Guy that does mine and my dad's touch up work can make a color match with no formulas or anything he just mixes colors. Some people aren't that good.

whi tri

Established Member
He said that even with the lazer it didn't match in the sun. I made him paint it 2 times. I also even gave him my old fender so he could match it to that and this is what I got after 2 times.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
He said that even with the lazer it didn't match in the sun. I made him paint it 2 times. I also even gave him my old fender so he could match it to that and this is what I got after 2 times.

If he did it with the Laser then he must have a bad can of paint in his mixing system because every laser style system I have ever seen is dead on. I would get my money back or have him get a new can of every color the formula is calling for.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Its not that hard, I take a collision class and he can go back to the basics and order some of those paint chips and match the right color up :p

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Most colors do not just match right up, especially this one. He needs to start with the right paint code, bring it up on the mixing machine, check for variants, find the closest variant available, mix the color correctly, do a spray out card, check the spray out against the car and tint if need be. It looks like he just panel painted the fender which on that color is nearly impossible.

Tell him to do the above and once he thinks it matches, I would even blend the door and hood to make sure it looked right the first time.

Last edited:

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
Funny I hit a deer 3 days ago. at 35 mph I slammed the brakes and it jumped into me. Right into the front drivers side. Hood is cracked on front and drivers fender needs dent pulled out. I also lost my black piece that is in front of the foglight but the rest of the front bumper, headlights etc are fine lol.. I feel your pain, it killed me at first. Thinking about putting a 2 and a 1/2 inch cowl hood on now. Def. get a new paint guy, thats aweful hah

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
If he had two tries to correct the color issue, then I suggest you go elsewhere for sure.

There are painters who can match it up much better if not an exact match!

f2hatch

Established Member
theres no way your gonna match that with panel painting the fender. blend the hood and door. but even then it is to far off you will see the blend. he will have to tint it and spray a test card. and tint the old fasion way. i would never try to paint just the fender i would of blended right from the start. but some pople like doing jobs two or three times. was the fender black or grey primer when he painted it? that will change the color also.

LT1Porsche

Established Member
That color isnt going to be the easiest to match. He needs to do exactly what Venomous 10th said. There should be a recommended color with multiple alternates. He needs to find the one or few that he thinks is the closest and do a few test panels. Try to match what is going to be the best choice then blend the hood and door with the fender. Its going to be the only way it will look half-way decent. Anything other than that will look half-ass'd. Good luck.

whi tri

Established Member
Ok a little more info. The fender I got from ford had a black primer, I think it was a primer. The first time he painted it he had about a 5" round peice of paint from the fender. He has only had the fender to work with because he doesn't want to drive my car because he see's how anal I am about it. He is my neighbor. When I got the fender back and put it on I was like oh hell no this isn't going to fly so I took it off after he looked at it. The second time he painted it I gave him my original fender and he said that with the fender he was goin to be able to sand down half of the original fender and match the color THEN spray my new fender. When he told me that he wanted to blend that color with my hood and door I just laughed like you have got to be kiddin me. The shit doesn't match. I knew that it would be a long shot to match it without blending but it was worth a shot. lesson learned

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
DSG has 6 variances, 3 to the light side of prime and 3 to the dark side of prime. You have two options. You can blend the front fender into the door and hood with a closer match, or you can repair the damage on the original fender and hope there is enough room to contain the color blend within that panel. Bottom line is the painter you choose will need to get a lot closer on the match or you are going to chase the discrepancy around the whole car.

DSC00026.jpg

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
A spray out will let you know how many coats are needed for coverage, regardless of what color the new fender came in. And being a new fender he should have put a gray sealer coat on it anyways. If you care about your neighbor give him another chance and let him read this thread and walk him through it if need be. Check his spray out and if it's close enough, blend the door and hood and call it good.

If you don't care about him, go to the manager, show him your car and let him know you are not satisfied and get your money back and go elsewhere.
Good luck.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Most colors do not just match right up, especially this one. He needs to start with the right paint code, bring it up on the mixing machine, check for variants, find the closest variant available, mix the color correctly, do a spray out card, check the spray out against the car and tint if need be. It looks like he just panel painted the fender which on that color is nearly impossible.

Tell him to do the above and once he thinks it matches, I would even blend the door and hood to make sure it looked right the first time.

Someone should take his gun away just for attempting to panel shoot that color. BLEND ITTTT!!!!WTF!:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread