SO I gained 2-3MPG with an Accufab SBTB...typical?

04gtstang

Established Member
Yea, im serious. My car is very consistent on the MPG it gets when I drive it a certain way...mostly highway.

My best EVER was mid/upper 21.X...that was driving like a grandmaw and I think before the upper pulley and port stuff. (for reference, 100% highway on CC with that setup netted 24MPGs) After that I could only manage to barely clip 21....if I was lucky. Generally I would do 19-20 or less :D...and thats driving pretty easy on average.

Well I throw on the SBTB/ported accufab plenum, along with a new intake setup (JLT 45* angle coupler, MAF, 12inch filter...vs stock tube, MAF, 12 inch filter)...and I cleaned my air filter (which doesnt matter as it got the same mileage when the filter was brand new, several months back).

Well i was enjoying the MASSIVE increase in throttle response on my way to work...even a little rain that morning....I was feeling the boost alot and breaking the tires loose quite a bit, just having fun with it. Well I get to the pump (97 miles...fill at the same station daily)....even filled it more than normal (2 full clicks, then round up .25....vs 1 click up .25-50).

Freegin 21.7 MPGs...I was all :eek: :rockon:

Then decided to take it easy today...see what happens. Well I thought I was screwed...nearly 50 miles to work this morning and it was raining the whole way! Historically rain always kills my MPGs due to the extra drag...even just a few miles screws me over...well I stuck with it and drove easy hoping to atleast match yesterday.

Drive back was dry...get to the pump. Seen a guy I used to street race on the way to work LOL and talked with him....came back to my car and it wouldnt let me fill anymore since I waited so long. Anyways 1st click ($7.09)...freegin 3.9 gallons. Thats 24.7 MPG :banana: If I would have filled up normally it would have worked to around 23.7-24.

Anyways, im still in shock....even with all that rain it pulled that, its insane. I have never gotten anywhere close to 3.9 gallons. I generally use around 5....well up until I did this swap.

So im wondering if these results are typical? Anyone else noticed a MPG increase after doing the SBTB?
Yea I know...most dont care about MPGs....but help me out here. :thumbsup:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Do you have a wideband in the car? I wonder if your car is running leaner now, and that is why your mpg changed?

04gtstang

Established Member
Heck yea man....LOVE it! I just got it running...had to pull the blower off and re grease the rear bearings, the day I put it on.

I have a wide band...it may be running a touch leaner but its hard to tell. I know my short term fuel trims have seemed to come in closer to zero...long term are still out a little. Something is making it get good mileage....and well I hope it doesnt change :D

Jefe

Established Member
In for more opinions. I need the extra MPG!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I know my short term fuel trims have seemed to come in closer to zero...long term are still out a little.
You mean 1. :shrug:

1.0 is optimum, not 0.

I don't the extra fuel mileage has anything to do with the TB personally.

04gtstang

Established Member
You mean 1. :shrug:

1.0 is optimum, not 0.

I don't the extra fuel mileage has anything to do with the TB personally.

haha yea thats the voltage output from the front 02s...1.0V = 14.7 A/F

My comments are based on my aeroforce gauge that shows % that its off. Sorry for any confusion....they show them switching and its average is alot closer to being zerod out (as in no correction needed) than before it seems.

In any case...the throttle responce is unreal...power seemes to have improved as well. Im now skating all over the road @ 60-65 from a 3rd gear hit...it tries to come come out from under me :rockon: .

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Gas mileage threads are worthless unless you are getting like 5 mpg, which then you have a serious issue. Otherwise, who cares, its a Cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He's simply telling us he is noticing better gas mileage after his Accufab TB install. What's wrong with that? :shrug:

Jefe

Established Member
Everything! lol I care. 2mpg gain is huge!

04gtstang

Established Member
Yea it wasnt like I was coming on here complaining about my gas mileage LOL. Thats not what this thread is about. :D Thanks Cobra Bob and Hillary'snuts!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly I think you need to do more of a full tank fill to be sure. There's a lot of factors that could skew results based on refilling only 3.9 gal. Not trying to rain on your parade because no doubt you've got good results from the swap!

04gtstang

Established Member
Yea I plan too...but its not just the amount im filling....its the fact that my gas gauge is taking alot longer now to move off of full than before and its more full when I get to the pump.
Driving 3-4 days a week...100 miles a day and you notice things when they change :D

04gtstang

Established Member
Yea I plan too...but its not just the amount im filling....its the fact that my gas gauge is taking alot longer now to move off of full than before and its more full when I get to the pump.
Driving 3-4 days a week...100 miles a day and you notice things when they change :D

Users who are viewing this thread